Cruising with TPN

Hi we recently took a cruise and my daughter is on TPN. Before we went I had tons of questions and there was not one single post on this topic, but if you have any questions I would love to be able to help you. We had a great time and all was ok, sometimes its just nice to have someone to ask. :)

Hi we recently took a cruise and my daughter is on TPN. Before we went I had tons of questions and there was not one single post on this topic, but if you have any questions I would love to be able to help you. We had a great time and all was ok, sometimes its just nice to have someone to ask. :)

Glad it all went well. I've nursed children having TPN, but have no experience of travelling with that responsibility.

God bless you for all this. There are some issues that I usually refer to as "orphan issues", ones that are more rare. This seems to be one of them.

If you haven't already done so, please post this on the Family Cruising board. There are parents there who will benefit from your experience.

I do have a question. Did you need any assistance from the shipboard medical center, and if so, were they generally helpful? At times you might find the on board medical crew to be less than well trained in rare health cases.

God bless you for all this. There are some issues that I usually refer to as "orphan issues", ones that are more rare. This seems to be one of them.

If you haven't already done so, please post this on the Family Cruising board. There are parents there who will benefit from your experience.

I do have a question. Did you need any assistance from the shipboard medical center, and if so, were they generally helpful? At times you might find the on board medical crew to be less than well trained in rare health cases.

Surprisingly the medical center was very knowledgeable but, they will not store TPN there because the only fridge they had also stored live vaccines. I was told to take the TPN there to store it (by guest access). The medical center told me to take it to guest services and they marked each bag with our cabin # and I just picked up a bag every evening. Before we left I had my daughters Infusion co give us a couple of bags of Vancomycin, just in case she started running a fever or her broviac port looked like it was becoming infected. The medical center at least seemed to know what TPN was, which is more knowledgeable than many places we have been. I also do her dressing changes myself and made sure we had at least one for everyday in case we had unexpected problems. We did have to change the dressing more than when we are home (heat and a couple of ocean excursions) but, I didn't have to do it daily. We are very discreet about the TPN, so no one really knew, unlike our February cruise with an NJ tube. :)

Archived