Vegetarian/Vegan Food; Rice

aaaaa

Good day,

Would a vegetarian/vegan find suitable foods on the ship? (I've read some complaints on this board about the quality of the vegetables.) Also, more specifically, does anyone know whether rice is available at meals and, if so, what type of rice? Thanks.

Good question; I'm a vegetarian, and I'd be interested in the answer as well. (I do eat dairy and eggs, so that should widen my options a bit.)

By the way, aaaaa, be sure to contact Air Tahiti Nui in advance if you'd like to reserve a vegetarian/vegan meal on your flights. I spoke with a rep earlier, and he said they offer both vegetarian with dairy and non-dairy (vegan). You just need to order special meals at least 36 hours prior to departure.

I have not sailed yet, but I did photo copy the entire menu from one of the 10 night cruises. I am a vegetarian who eats fish, so certainly, I noticed plenty of options. But I also noticed for those that might not eat seafood ( or nights I don't feel like it) there were other options. Every night there is a vegetarian menu listed. For instance on just one night:

Leek terrine

Tahitian corn chowder

Watercress apple, beet and Roquefort salad

Goat cheese and cartelized onion tart

Also the lighter options are listed and many appeared to be vegetarian:

Chilled pineapple fruit cup

Chilled beet orange and dill soup

In the regular menu:

Lentil salad

Penne primavera

Spaghetti with pesto

And this is all just one night!

I don't see a mention of rice specifically, but many nights a risotto is an accompaniment of other dishes, and from what I'm hearing it's unlikely anyone would refuse your request for something special;)

I'm sure you'd need to quiz your waiter to learn if all the dishes and soups not listed under the vegetarian menu were made with absolutely no animal fat or stock, but it doesn't appear you or I or Escriteur will go hungry for sure!:D

Thanks for sharing the sample menu, Familygoboston - it sounds like I'll have plenty of options. If anything, I may have a hard time narrowing my choices!

Emdee - I love Indian and Thai food, so it's nice to know they incorporate some international dishes. I can't wait to see what they'll be serving during our upcoming trip!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat meat, fish or eggs (it's complicated). I found plenty of fresh and wonderful options onboard the PG. Not only was I so full every day that my clothes were tight by the end of the 2 weeks cruise, I also found there to be more than one satisfying choice at every meal.

1. I found the kitchen most accommodating. Ask and they usually can make it.

2. Remember for dinner the Le Grill is changed into a polynesian/asian flair dining experience which should have rice along with dishes with no meat.

Thanks for sharing the sample menu, Familygoboston - it sounds like I'll have plenty of options. If anything, I may have a hard time narrowing my choices!

Emdee - I love Indian and Thai food, so it's nice to know they incorporate some international dishes. I can't wait to see what they'll be serving during our upcoming trip!

No problem! Just paying it forward! Someone (was it you, Emdee? ) posted a link to ten night menu and I printed them at the time and have them in my trip "binder". I was told they are from a couple of years ago, but the general offerings are about the same, with small changes but mostly the same. In any event, it quickly was clear to me, as Tiki says, that I couldn't possibly go hungry on this ship, and that even if nothing on the menu suited, someone would still try to find something to please me!

I'm so looking forward to this cruise!

Archived