NCL Jewel out of NYC 10/21/12 - MS Bike Ride Question!!

Stothoff

The MS Bike NYC Ride is scheduled for 10/21/2012. The Start/Finish line is right in front of the Cruise Ship Terminal. There will be major street closures. We are cruising that day on the Jewel and I was wondering if anyone has any experience or information on if we will even be able to get into the port. 12th Ave is scheduled to be closed from 56th to 44th from 5:00am on. We are planning on driving and parking at the port.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=stothoff&date=6-2-2012&text=&ship=Norwegian Gem

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=stothoff&date=10-21-2012&text=&ship=Norwegian Jewel

Thanks for the info, We will be coming North from the Lincoln Tunnel. I'll make sure to leave earlier.

so you're driving north from the tunnel to the pier - you should be much better off than I was coming FROM the north and driving south to the pier.

It's still a PITA - but at least you know about it!

From the North or the South its a big PIA..

The easiest way to get to the terminal is on W 59th Street..It actually passes under the West Side highway so you can avoid most of the congestion..Try using 10th Ave if you are coming from the South or 11th Ave if you are coming from the North to get to W 59th Street..

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS404US404&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=manhattan+cruise+terminal+pier+88&fb=1&gl=us&hq=manhattan+cruise+terminal+pier+88&cid=0,0,3740199012330549529&sa=X&ei=0jDwT_yiE-Lx0gHnqvj6Ag&ved=0CHYQ_BIwAw&oi=local_group&ct=image

Driving the day before is a great idea, but you will still have to deal with the street closures. I'm only 70 minutes from NYC so time is not really an issue. Just trying to avoid the impending traffic disaster.

Because of the bike ride, I think we'll be taking the train and get a cab to the port. Last time we did that, it seemed to take about 10-15 minutes or so. Not familiar with NYC. Would the detours increase the taxi ride significantly? Thanks.

Since the main road in front of the terminal (12th Ave) is going to be closed to southbound traffic starting at 5:00 am, I think it will effect all traffic going to the pier. Here is a link to some pictures of 12th Ave before the start of the race last year. You can see the bow of the Norwegian Gem in the first picture.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150853943865123&set=o.294962363853&type=3&theater

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341159121.742597.jpg.7a0a8862eea86a7b349645a415fe1744.jpg

Rich is right - you have to enter at 59th (I couldn't remember which street it was). We took Riverside Drive down from the GWB but it was very slow and we were unsure where to cross to get into the pier. Even the cops in the area were unsure because I think they were posted in areas they don't normally work. BUt we ended up following 59th (I guess! It took us right into the parking area.)

My trip door to door should be 45 minutes to the pier and it took double that.

Good luck!

Taxis should be fine - maybe a slight delay, but they'll get you there.

We arrived around 11.

For those coming into New York by crossing the Hudson at some point, there is a nice alternative.....Instead of parking at the cruise ship terminal, and paying the $35. per day parking fee plus the tolls to cross, consider parking at New York Waterways Port Imperial, NJ Terminal and take their ferry to 38th street in New York.

You would then have to pull your luggage the ten short city blocks to the pier at 48th street, but it's a nice level walk along the river and past the Intrepid museum. The ferry does provide a shuttle bus that goes past the cruise ship terminal (across the street), but it would also be subject to the traffic woes....

Archived