Afraid to book European cruise..please help

It's been a dream of mine to sail the Med for years and I so want to take the plunge next year on Equinox. My 18 cruises have all been Caribbean, Bermuda and Canada N/E. I am a compulsive planner and worrier so the thought of booking flights, getting Euros and language barriers has me completely overwhelmed. Can anyone help?

Get help with the cruise line for your flights.

Go to the bank and purchase Euros.

Go out and buy a travel phase book. Lonely Planet has a good one with common conversational phases written out in the host language as well as phonetically so it's easy to sound out.

It's been a dream of mine to sail the Med for years and I so want to take the plunge next year on Equinox. My 18 cruises have all been Caribbean, Bermuda and Canada N/E. I am a compulsive planner and worrier so the thought of booking flights, getting Euros and language barriers has me completely overwhelmed. Can anyone help?

A travel agent would probably be your best bet, I'd think. Someone who can say, "here are your best options....what are you comfortable with"....etc"

You can do it. You may want to seek out an experienced travel agent who could help you. A good agent can help you with all of those things. Seek one that has cruised often and if possible has done a Med. cruise. If not, I am sure the RCI personal planners could assist you too. They can even do your flights with Choice Air. Once you get the particulars worked out you will do fine. It is such a great cruise. I sailed the Med. a few times, I'm sure you will love it! BTW language is usually not a big problem especially in the touristy areas. Most people know English (at 1st they pretend not to). But my suggestion is pick up a phrase book. They sell some Italian/Spanish/French and at least say some common things in the language. Good luck!

Relax, compulsive planner, cruising in the Med is much easier than you think. Give yourself 6-months to a year to work on the details. First, almost everyone in major cities speaks English sometimes better that some local USA people. The Euro is easy to work with and most of your charges will be on the ship in US dollars or charged to your credit card when you get home in dollars. Depending in where you are flying out of and into you will find travel to Europe is just a little more stressful than here in the states but try to fly with as little stops as possible. Give yourself a few days on the front end or back end to enjoy those European cities.

For our med cruise we booked our flights thru choiceair thru RCL...didn't want the hassle of worrying about delays and connections.

We never had a language issue...not once!...mostly everywhere we went either the menu had an english portion or the locals also spoke enough english to get by....what was fun was that in the cruise compas every day were key words to know for that port's language. Was fun learning new words from country to country :)

Converting to euro's was also very easy.....

Out of all of our cruises, I have to say that the med cruise was our favorite....Relax, enjoy and book your med cruise!!

You will also find that most people speak ,at least a little, English in the Mediterranean Countries.:cool:

Someone suggested I get Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports, and it is really useful, full of lots of Information and ideas for Med. Ports.

Anne

You are making this much harder than it is. I have done 3 Med cruises and spent two weeks in Italy a few years ago.

Everyone who works in the major tourist areas in hotels and restuarants speaks at least some English. All of the people on board the ship do as well as anyone giving shore excursions and clerks in stores in all the major cities. RCCL can arrange your airfare for you. If they do then you will be provided transfers to the ship from the airport. You get Euro's at any ATM machine using your debit card. Use a credit card for purchases in restaurants and stores. Find one that does not charge you a exchange fee such as Capital One Venture card or Chase Marriott Rewards VISA. Make sure that you call the credit card company ahead of time and tell them you will be traveling abroad so they don't put any security holds on your card.

Book the trip and enjoy!

Thanks all for the encouragement! I was planning on using Choice Air but have read conflicting reports on whether or not that's the best option. I would sail from Ny to Barcelona the day prior. It's the " what if's" that make me crazy. How much money to bring so I'm not searching for an ATM as soon as I land, choosing a hotel that's not a fortune yet clean and in an area accessible to Las Ramblas, timing a return flight, etc. thanks for the suggestion re a phrase book and the Rick Steve's guide. Keep the suggestions coming. I need all the support I can get!

On some of our Med cruises we've booked pre-cruise packages through Royal Caribbean. The hotels have been great and they do a wonderful job with transfers from the airport to the hotel, hotel to the ship, and ship to the airport at the end. We've also done it on our own with no problem, but if you want to make it easy, going through the cruise line helps.

The Med cruises are wonderful; enjoy!!

Cross your fingers and hope the Eurozone hasn't split up by the time you come over, otherwise you'll be dealing with a ton of different currencies! ;) :D

Don't worry, everyone in the Med speaks English, and even those who don't (usually in remoter areas, and older people at that) will still smile and try to be helpful, tourism is a major part of their economies so it's not like they are not used to seeing foreigners :)

No different to planning any of the other trips you have been on, in that you research the places you will visit beforehand to get the best out of them and, if booking flights independently scares you, do as a previous poster has suggested and let the cruise line handle that aspect for you - although, bear in mind that they will charge you more.

I planned a month-long trip to Australia, via Dubai, flights, hotels, cars, everything, it was hard work but if paid off and, even though Down Under they speak English and drive on the same side as the UK, it was very much a foreign country to us pasty-faced Brits (especially as it was 40 degrees in the shade)! :D

Once you've done it once you'll wonder why you didn't do it before. Good luck :)

PS, if you do sail from Barcelona, I would suggest you arrive at least 2 or 3 days beforehand, not just to adjust to a new time zone, but also because Barca is a great city, with LOTS to see and o. We've been about 5 times already and still haven't seen everything.

We're leaving in 12 days. It's easy and fun to plan. Use the ports of call boards here for great information. Join your roll call and share tours. You will get a lot of help here on these boards. Go for it!!!!!

We went through the same desire/concern cycle and just booked our first Med cruise for next Apr/May. Three countries, three languages, luckily just one currency. I placed my normal Amazon order for travel guides and am diligently researching the ports. I'm watching the exchange rate and hoping it's better by next spring. We're flying in a few days early to explore Barcelona. Again, excellent information on Cruise Critic as well as TripAdvisor. Already selected and book our hotel on La Rambla with freebies of wifi and 24/7 snacks - including wine and beer. Excellent deal thanks to CC research.

So don't be afraid. Gather your best sources of information and have a great time. :)

I would bring about $300 in Euro's with me if I did not want to have to search out a ATM immediately upon landing. Your bank can order you Euro's and have them delivered to your local branch for pick up although you will pay a service charge for that. You can also purchase EURO's at the exchange desk at the airport when you fly out.

For hotels try the trip advisor web site. We walked over to the central square from our hotel and took the hop on/hop off bus for a tour the day we arrived as you will not have a lot of time in Barcelona you can get a overview that way. The following morning we took another hop on/hop off bus and got of at the magnificent La Famila Cathedral and did the full tour there. THen took the hop on/hop off bus back to the hotel, grabbed our luggage and got a cab to the ship arriving there around mid-afternoon. There was no one waiting and check in too just a few minutes.

Can you get "Currency Cards" in the US. in the UK we can get these cards free. you can get them here in US dollars or Euros. these are pre loaded by you and can be re-loaded on line if necessary. You can use like a debit card or get cash out of an ATM (small fee).

I use it all the time in US for our holidays. If any money left at end you can get it out.

Thanks all for the encouragement! I was planning on using Choice Air but have read conflicting reports on whether or not that's the best option. I would sail from Ny to Barcelona the day prior. It's the " what if's" that make me crazy. How much money to bring so I'm not searching for an ATM as soon as I land, choosing a hotel that's not a fortune yet clean and in an area accessible to Las Ramblas, timing a return flight, etc. thanks for the suggestion re a phrase book and the Rick Steve's guide. Keep the suggestions coming. I need all the support I can get!

A good travel agent can help you with your choice of a hotel "that's not a fortune yet clean and ... accessible to Las Ramblas", suggest sites you might want to see while in Barcelona and the ports your cruise will visit and can probably give you a good estimate of how much money you can expect to need. The guide books, cruise ship staff and your fellow cruisers will also be invaluable aids to your enjoying the trip to its fullest. As others have said, language barriers will likely not be as much of a problem as you think and being able to return to the comfort of your cruise ship at the end of each day should help considerably.

Just done a med cruise and don't speak any other languages and I had no problem.

I bought a Valencia and Barcelona guide book and got the shuttle bus that Royal Caribbean provide (about $10) and did my own thing.

DO NOT TAKE EURO TRAVELLER CHEQUES.

Banks in Europe aren't take them especially Spain and Italy. Take cash or use you card to withdraw from a ATM.

Can't help with flights from the US. I booked mine through Jet2 from Manchester to FCO airport.

Book it and enjoy!!:D

If you are only staying one night in Barcelona then the Hotel Continental would be a good choice. It's directly on La Rambla, near the top end, close to the main Placa de Catalunya (where the tourist buses and airport buses leave from).

The hotel is very pink, and the beds are a bit firm, but it was good value and fine for the three of us for one night, and you can enjoy a drink on the balcony and do some people watching. A lot of cruisers use this hotel and it gets a good rating on tripadvisor, but anything longer than one or two nights and you might want something a bit more upmarket.

Hi celebrity,

We are using choice air for our 9/1 Med cruise and were able to select our seats. The choice air agent just gave us login codes for the airlines websites and we were able to see the open seats on the plane and choose where to sit. Very easy. Take the plunge:). You will love Europe

Ali

We stayed at the Hotel Regina...great location to la ramblas

If you are only staying one night in Barcelona then the Hotel Continental would be a good choice. It's directly on La Rambla, near the top end, close to the main Placa de Catalunya (where the tourist buses and airport buses leave from).

The hotel is very pink, and the beds are a bit firm, but it was good value and fine for the three of us for one night, and you can enjoy a drink on the balcony and do some people watching. A lot of cruisers use this hotel and it gets a good rating on tripadvisor, but anything longer than one or two nights and you might want something a bit more upmarket.

Agree with this....the hotel is in a perfect location, all the free beer, water you can drink. Ask for a room over looking Las Rambla. You will have a nice little balcony that you can watch all the action. If you need to have silence then request a room at the back. You have to book early other wise they put you in their sister hotel that is not in this prime spot.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

I totally understand your hesitation and felt the same way. We just recently returned from 3 days in Barcelona and a 12 day cruise and had the best time! We didn't want to come home! I posted a trip report if you're interested: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34374693&posted=1#post34374693. Most everyone spoke English and there were ATMs everywhere. We are compulsive planners and got a ton of information through Cruise Critic. Join your roll calls, read the ports of call, and definitely purchase Rick Steve's book Mediterranean Ports.

Hi celebrity ~ I will reiterate what others have said regarding the language ~ most people in major european cities speak english very well. I am a brit and travel to a different european city about once per month (business and holidays). Only one time have the locals not spoke english and that was very rural andalucia ~ and the ship wont get close to there!

That being said, they love it when you have a go at asking for something in their language; i can ask for a glass of wine in several !!!!

When I go abroad to the US for example i really dont change up that much ccy ~ usually enough for tipping, cabs and cheap gifts. Everything else i stick on my card which has a fair fx rate and charges no comission.

Honestly you'll be fine ~ there are some awesome things to see in europe, so much history. Come on over, you only live once !!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

I just got off of the Equinox, and I'm dying to go back!!! :D Best cruise, ever! Get a good travel agent. Spend a few days in Barcelona - there is much to see there. Be careful with pickpockets, though - keep your valuables well hidden, as with everywhere.

The Hop On Hop Off Bus is a great way to get around. Try to get out to see the Monastery of Montserrat, too.

There are ATMs everywhere, but try to use one next at a bank, and be vigilant when doing so. I get some euro pre-cruise, a few hundred, and get some as needed in the ports.

It is USD on board the ship.

If you book private excursions, they will want payment there in Euro.

Near everyone speaks English. It's rather embarrassing how adept they are at different languages, and all I could say was hello, thank you, and bathroom. :o

You will LOVE it! The Caribbean can't even begin to compare! Europe has my heart. ;)

Archived