Taormina help needed

kcbmarek

This is the only port that DH and I have nothing planned in. Initially we were hoping to find others to share a tour with but have elected to explore Taormina on our own. Hence my questions :p:

1. DH wants to see the noon action of the astrological clock in the square in Messina. Has anyone seen this and what is the best way to reach this location from the ship?

2. After DH has expereienced the clock, we want to venture to Taormina. What is going to be the easiest way? Is it difficult to find cabs to take you and back?

3. Has anyone taken the cable car back down from Taormina and then caught a cab back to the ship?

We will be in Messina/Taormina on a Monday - Sept. 10th.

TIA .... Kim

This is the only port that DH and I have nothing planned in. Initially we were hoping to find others to share a tour with but have elected to explore Taormina on our own. Hence my questions :p:

1. DH wants to see the noon action of the astrological clock in the square in Messina. Has anyone seen this and what is the best way to reach this location from the ship?

2. After DH has expereienced the clock, we want to venture to Taormina. What is going to be the easiest way? Is it difficult to find cabs to take you and back?

3. Has anyone taken the cable car back down from Taormina and then caught a cab back to the ship?

We will be in Messina/Taormina on a Monday - Sept. 10th.

TIA .... Kim

The clock is no more then a 10 min stroll from the ship. Taormina is 32 miles (each way) from Messina so a taxi will cost you lots of Euros. You could get there by train (and then you still need a taxi to town) or regional bus but not sure you would have the time. A rental car is another option. And no, we have never used the cable car...but keep in mind that a taxi back will be another 32 miles.

Hank

We experienced the clock last fall and it was delightful. It is a quick walk from the ship. Just ask directions to the church which is on a large square. We had been to Taormina before so decided to stay in Messina and enjoyed Sunday morning there, in fact, more than we had anticipated. There is a cafe' that borders the church and we had a wonderful view of some of the animation when the clock struck noon. If you are interested in an internet cafe', one is located just down the street.

You do not need to take the cable car from Taormina down to the coast road (Rt 114). There are plenty of cabs right in Piazza Vittoro Emmanuele, the main square opposite Santa Catarina and Palazzo Corvaja.

Ahhh. But the cable car is a lot more fun and the views breathtaking.

Hank

we spent two weeks in Taormina last summer and love it there. One FYI they are having a bad season of jellyfish so if you are planning on going to the beach down in Isola Bella be forwarned and you definately need water shoes as the "beach" is all rocks. Our first trip was from Messina on a cruise stop and it was about 60 euros each way, probably cheaper to take the cruise ship transfers even though I dislike them immensly. We had used the company sicily life two other times before we decided to just go and stay there for two weeks on our own. I would recommend them

For our day in Taormina we rented a car. A short walk from the dock to Hertz. Our ship docked at noon, and we were off the ship by 1pm. When we got to the rental car agency it was locked up tight with a return time of 4pm (Italians have siesta for 3 hours on the afternoons generally speaking)...our reservation confirmation clearly stated that we would pick up car at 1pm...nevertheless we were in Messina (Not alot to do there IMHO other than shop, or lunch)...we spoke to one of the many taxi drivers at the dock and negotiated a deal for transportation to and from...the cost we settled on was 100euros (he initially wanted 140euros but we talked him down...my husband is Italian which made the communication much easier) he dropped us off at the "main entrance" and picked us up 3 hours later. It actually worked out cheaper than the car rental amount.

Archived