Bahamas visa for citizens of india

randy12

Hi, I'm a US citizen but my parents are citizens of India currently in the US on a tourist visa.

We are planning to take the Bahamas cruise on July 13th on NCL Sky. The travel agent says that my parents don't need a Bahamas visa since they are going to Bahamas on a cruise, but I've not been able to get that confirmed.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Did anyone travel without the Bahamas visa when on cruise?

Thanks

Hi, I'm a US citizen but my parents are citizens of India currently in the US on a tourist visa.

We are planning to take the Bahamas cruise on July 13th on NCL Sky. The travel agent says that my parents don't need a Bahamas visa since they are going to Bahamas on a cruise, but I've not been able to get that confirmed.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Did anyone travel without the Bahamas visa when on cruise?

Thanks

It might be a good idea to contact the consulate for the Bahamas to be sure you're getting correct information. The fact that it's a cruise may not make a difference. I remember seeing a post where someone who was not a US citizen had been denied boarding due to not having a visa for one of the ports. Since your parents are here on a tourist visa, that may make a difference as well. I believe the requirements are different than for people who are residents. I'd check with the consulate to make sure....get your information from the experts.

Edited by emcelh

It might be a good idea to contact the consulate for the Bahamas to be sure you're getting correct information. The fact that it's a cruise may not make a difference. I remember seeing a post where someone who was not a US citizen had been denied boarding due to not having a visa for one of the ports. Since your parents are here on a tourist visa, that may make a difference as well. I believe the requirements are different than for people who are residents. I'd check with the consulate to make sure....get your information from the experts.

This!!!! Please check with the government of the Bahamas! It's an easy phone call or an email and much better than getting to the port and finding out they won't let you board.

From what I see on this document, a citizen from India requires a visa for entry to the Bahamas.

I noticed that too but it may be different for cruise ship passengers who are only there for a few hours and I didn't see that addressed. Prudent thing to do would be to contact the proper authorities.

NCL's web site has a pretty good amount of info on visa requirements (since NCL is the one who will deny you boarding). The following link leads you to other points of contact including specific info on travel to Bermuda. Below I've pasted some specific info from the Bermuda site. And according to it, yes, residents of India do require a visa.

http://www2.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation#nonUS

Bermuda Entry Visas:

The Bermuda Department of Border Control states that nationals of the following countries require visas (list issued May 1, 2010):

Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bolivia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Bolivia, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, China (People’s Republic of), Columbia, Congo (Brazaville), Congo (Kinsasha), Croatia, Cote d'Ivoire, Cuba, Cyprus (northern part), Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Guinea (Republic of), Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of), Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia), Malawi, Moldova (Republic of), Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian Authorities, Panama, Philippines, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia (Republic of), Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Soviet Union (former), Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkish Rep of N Cyprus, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Yugoslavia (former Soc. Fed. Rep. of), Zimbabwe

NCL's web site has a pretty good amount of info on visa requirements (since NCL is the one who will deny you boarding). The following link leads you to other points of contact including specific info on travel to Bermuda.

I agree with Urban Trekker, the OP asked about Bahamas not Bermuda.

I may be way off here but addressing "since NCL is the one who will deny you boarding". This is a factor but first you have to get through the guys that actually check your passport on the way through security. (Since I'm not from the U.S. I really am not sure who checked us through but am assuming it was port authority) and they seemed much more interested in our passports than the check in desk at NCL, who just wanted to make sure our faces matched our ID.

Great post BUT they are going to the Bahamas and not Bermuda.

Cheers

Dennis

That's a big WOOOOOPS. But if anyone wants to go to Bermuda now........ That's one of our next booked cruises. Guess my brain is already there...........

bummer...i don't have enough time to get the visa and bahamas consulate in miami takes 3 days. i guess i will have to re-evaluate my plans.

thanks all for the responses.

bummer...i don't have enough time to get the visa and bahamas consulate in miami takes 3 days. i guess i will have to re-evaluate my plans.

thanks all for the responses.

Did you call the Bahamian embassy in Miami and get this confirmed?? As your parents are only IN TRANSIT they are not staying in Bahamas. This is something only the embassy can answer. I could see if they were going to enter and stay a week, but that is not the case on a cruise.

Another thought occurred to me was that 'what if they don't get off the ship there'? would they still need one?

• 1 year later...

Hi.I would like to know whether its ok to travel to Bahamas on a tourist visa while on Advance Parole(AP)

I have already applied for Bahamas tourist visa from New York,USA.

I am an Indian citizen.I have my H1B valid till 2015,but the H1B visa in the passport expired in 2012 and ever since 2012,I have been travelling on Advance Parole/EAD(Combo card).My I-485 is pending.My AP is valid till 2014 May.

Could anybody suggest if its ok to travel while on AP and also re-enter back to US?????

Highly appreciated.

Hi.I would like to know whether its ok to travel to Bahamas on a tourist visa while on Advance Parole(AP)

I am an Indian citizen.I have my H1B valid till 2015,but the H1B visa in the passport expired in 2012 and ever since 2012,I have been travelling on Advance Parole/EAD(Combo card).My I-485 is pending.My AP is valid till 2014 May.

Could anybody suggest if its ok to travel while on AP and also re-enter back to US?????

Highly appreciated.

This is way too complicated of a question for an internet forum. Most of us are US citizens and have no clue what those terms even mean. CALL the Embassy!

Highly appreciated.

I've been an H-1B before (I'm now a citizen), one of my best friends is an immigration lawyer, and I do know what those terms mean.

If you've been travelling on advance parole already, then you are no longer in H-1B status -- you're a parolee already. That's no big deal, it just means that you need to keep renewing the EAD and AP until that magical day far in the future when your number comes up and you finally get your Green Card. Another use of advance parole is completely normal. This is what advance parole is for. (Way back in the dim and distant past, there was an expectation that advance parole would be a rare thing and that you'd need a good reason to leave the country while your Green Card application is pending. Now that the world is more connected and these applications can sit around for years, it's routine.)

Just be aware that NCL staff may be less familiar with advance parole than airline staff, they probably don't see it all that often. But they'll have somebody there who understands it and knows that you're legally here and entitled to come back. And if you're worried, bounce it off your (or your company's) immigration lawyer.

• 2 months later...

So what happened? My Chinese friend went on Carnival to the Bahamas and did not need a visa. It's a closed loop tour that goes back to New York. I am going to the Bahamas on NCL so just want to make sure they do not deny me boarding. For those wondering why we don't just call NCL, a travel agent or the consulate, it's because all three are of no use. I called and they give the unclear information so i have been asking people who went on the cruise

Highly appreciated.

I assume you are adjusting on employment grounds. You can leave the United States anytime for anything, just make sure you have your I512 Advanced Paroled with you. Once you leave the US while adjusting, if you return without advance paroled you have basically just closed you whole application process for your LPR and will essentially be removed from the US for inadmissability lacking proper visa.