Have dual citizenship - Canada & U.S... do I use both passports?

We'll be flying into Vancouver via Alaska Airlines. After a 2 day stay in my hometown (Vancouver), we'll be boarding the Sapphire Princess for a coastal cruise that ends in San Pedro, California... I've been living in Los Angeles for 65 years. My daughter says I must use my Canadian passport to enter Vancouver. Princess has me listed with a U.S. passport, which I must use to enter U.S. at the end of the cruise.

Can I just use my U.S. passport to enter Canada and re-enter the U.S. at the end of the cruise?

We'll be flying into Vancouver via Alaska Airlines. After a 2 day stay in my hometown (Vancouver), we'll be boarding the Sapphire Princess for a coastal cruise that ends in San Pedro, California... I've been living in Los Angeles for 65 years. My daughter says I must use my Canadian passport to enter Vancouver. Princess has me listed with a U.S. passport, which I must use to enter U.S. at the end of the cruise.

Can I just use my U.S. passport to enter Canada and re-enter the U.S. at the end of the cruise?

Just use your USA passport.

Hi Putterdude... I'm thinking YVR customs/immigration lines will be shorter if I use my CAD passport. But, don't want to mess myself up when I board the Sapphire Princess, using my U.S. passport... which won't show I've entered Canada.

You're daughter is correct. You should use your Canadian passport to enter Canada, and your US passport to enter the USA. Here's the info from the US Embassy in Canada:

If you are a dual U.S.-Canadian citizen you should always present yourself as a Canadian citizen when entering Canada and as a U.S. citizen when entering the United States. For more information, please visit

Archived