Caribbean Princess or Navigator of the Seas from Galveston?

Ladysilver

We've never sailed on Princess and we're considering booking the Caribbean Princess from Galveston or RCL's Navigator of the Seas for early 2014. After reading several not so flattering reviews on the Princess ship, we're having second thoughts. Any advice?? :rolleyes:

What negatives concern you?

Remember, there's no such thing as a perfect cruise and you can have two people on the same ship at the same time with completely opposite experiences or views. Everyone's expectations are different and sometimes, they're unreasonable. Several years ago, one of my business partners, a very intelligent and capable young man, took an Alaskan cruise on Princess. He returned saying cruising is a rip-off and a terrible vacation. He'd expected to have all of his tours and drinks included and was incensed that they weren't. Which points to the importance of doing your homework, which you are doing. :)

We've never sailed on Princess and we're considering booking the Caribbean Princess from Galveston or RCL's Navigator of the Seas for early 2014. After reading several not so flattering reviews on the Princess ship, we're having second thoughts. Any advice?? :rolleyes:

There is an excellent live thread on the CB right now.

There is a long thread on the very the same question about the CB also.

Probably could answer alot of your questions...

Lots of things could change in 2 years.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1663461

There is an excellent live thread on the CB right now.

There is a long thread on the very the same question about the CB also.

Probably could answer alot of your questions...

Lots of things could change in 2 years.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1663461

Thanks, I'll read it for sure. And you're right, a lot can happen in two years. The last several reviews on Cruise Critic for the Caribbean Princess were not good. I was hoping to find someone who may have sailed on both ships. I would love to hear what they think. Something I would like to add.....The itineraries are exactly the same on both ships but there's a difference of $535.47 in the price. Something to think about. :)

Thanks, I'll read it for sure. And you're right, a lot can happen in two years. The last several reviews on Cruise Critic for the Caribbean Princess were not good. I was hoping to find someone who may have sailed on both ships. I would love to hear what they think. Something I would like to add.....The itineraries are exactly the same on both ships but there's a difference of $535.47 in the price. Something to think about. :)

Remember the # of complaints on recent CP roll calls - maybe a "handful" of people complaining of over 100+ people on each roll call.

The "type" of passenger varies by cruise line as well in many instances (demographics). Also CP is undergoing a significant retrofit (based on the room changes) around March 2013.

Also, I know someone that was on our May 26 cruise and they are going back on CP in early September. Could not be that bad if they are picking the same ship within a few months of one-another.

We have sailed on both and the Navigator OTS cruise was the RCCL cruise that was the closest to our normal Princess experience.

The ships are different in several significant ways.

For example, the NOTS has a ship long shopping arcade which is also used for parades and other onboard activities. The Princess ships have the boutiques centered around the atrium on two levels.

The dining room on the NOTS has one large, three story dining room which is shared for traditional and anytime dining. The Caribbean Princess has three one story dining rooms, one devoted to traditional dining and two for anytime dining.

The NOTS has an ice rink for both an ice show and for passenger ice skating session. Princess does not.

The NOTS has a rock climbing wall. Princess does not.

I think you would enjoy a cruise on either ship.

The itineraries are identical, so unless you have a reason not to, I would book the ship that has the lower price for the type cabin you want.

If I'm not mistaken or they have changed it will be the Crown Princess which will be sailing out of Galveston beginning this December.

Caribbean Princess will be sailing out of Galveston winter 2013/2014, I'm looking at booking the repo cruise NYC-Galveston in 10/13

Caribbean Princess will be sailing out of Galveston winter 2013/2014, I'm looking at booking the repo cruise NYC-Galveston in 10/13

I have been on both ships. As long as the price difference is not too great, I would pick the CB. This is why:

1. I did not appreciate the idea of the central indoor promenade. I prefer outdoor spaces where I feel like I am on a ship not at a shopping mall, a smoky one at that (2009).

2. I prefer the way the CB has four distinct pool areas with all pools being fresh water.

3. The food in the MDR on NOTS was very mediocre and unappealing to me when compared to the CB.

4. I much prefer the International Cafe on Princess to the cafe on NOTS.

I have to say that none of my reasons have anything to do with the service on either ship, both being excellent. I'm sure you will have a great cruise no matter which you choose. :)

I have been on both ships. As long as the price difference is not too great, I would pick the CB. This is why:

1. I did not appreciate the idea of the central indoor promenade. I prefer outdoor spaces where I feel like I am on a ship not at a shopping mall, a smoky one at that (2009).

2. I prefer the way the CB has four distinct pool areas with all pools being fresh water.

3. The food in the MDR on NOTS was very mediocre and unappealing to me when compared to the CB.

4. I much prefer the International Cafe on Princess to the cafe on NOTS.

I have to say that none of my reasons have anything to do with the service on either ship, both being excellent. I'm sure you will have a great cruise no matter which you choose. :)

I sailed on the CB last September, thought she was a nice ship and would book a trip on her today!

Now it's been 20 yrs since I have been on an RCI ship.

Wow! There are a large number of recent negative reviews from the British Isles cruise. However, the previous S. Caribbean cruise reviews rank mostly 5 star.

I read a few of the reviews and found the complaints to be centered on the weather, ports and especially the boarding and sailaway process at Southampton. I can't fault those folks for being negative, but that wouldn't influence me booking a cruise on her from/to different ports.

Get a head start and book Crown for this winter!:)

Archived