buying wine when visiting ports

karen of PA

I know that you can bring 2 bottles of wine with you when you embark but I was wondering what happens if you purchase a bottle of wine when you visit a port and bring it back to get on the ship. On one of our excusions, we will be visiting a winery. Do they confiscate the bottle until you disembark or do they let you keep it with you in your cabin?

Thanks,

Karen

I don't know the specific rules, but I can tell you people openly brought a couple bottles onboard after visiting wineries in New Zealand. I suggest asking ship staff prior to departure to your visit to the wineries and follow their guidance. If they do tell you it is OK, make sure you note who told you in case of issues upon return.

The rule is two bottles at embarkation That being said we have been on any cruises where we brought back bottles of wine at several ports along the way and have never had an issue. However we have also read postings from passengers who say that theirs were taken away and retuned at the end of the cruise. It all spends on the ship and security people on duty when you return

At the end of the day they will not prevent you from bringing wine on-board, however they reserve the right to store it for you until the end of the cruise.

Same is true of any item that is legal.

Of course you may well be subject to customs duty or local laws when you do disembark.

Are you on one of the Wine Immersion itineraries? Is your winery visit a Celebrity excursion? They have announced that the limitations will be loosened for those circumstances. They have not said whether those on private excursions will also be able to bring extra wine on board on those particular cruises.

We are on a Celebrity excursion in Santorini which includes a visit to a winery. If I knew that I could buy a bottle of wine to consume while we are on the cruise, then I would buy it. However, if I can't do this, then I don't want to bother with packing it in my baggage and lugging it home. I think I will take the advice of asking someone on the ship first before I buy anything. Who would I ask? Someone at the shore excursion desk?

Thanks,

Karen

I bought a couple of bottles of Madeira on a RCI cruise, when on a ship's excursion which included a Madeira shop, knowing that I would not be allowed to drink it on board and that it would be stored until disembarkation.

The problem was, when I brought it aboard, there was nobody to hand it to. I put it down on the x-ray machine input table, and immediately, the crew started shouting "illegal alcohol".

I hope that Celebrity has a more guest friendly procedure. Otherwise, don't take us to places that sell wine. I don't enjoy being made to feel like a criminal, just because I did what the tour guide invited me to.

I bought a couple of bottles of Madeira on a RCI cruise, when on a ship's excursion which included a Madeira shop, knowing that I would not be allowed to drink it on board and that it would be stored until disembarkation.

The problem was, when I brought it aboard, there was nobody to hand it to. I put it down on the x-ray machine input table, and immediately, the crew started shouting "illegal alcohol".

I hope that Celebrity has a more guest friendly procedure. Otherwise, don't take us to places that sell wine. I don't enjoy being made to feel like a criminal, just because I did what the tour guide invited me to.

I totally agree! This is why we enjoy sailing with Princess. They treat their passengers with respect and allow wine to be brought onboard from all ports of call. It is delightful to enjoy wine from a region you are visiting.

As for Celebrity, we have brought wine on in several ports. It's usually packed in our daybag, which gets scanned without incident. YMMV.

Archived