Nice Hotel Needed near Bayonne Cruise Port

shorbr

We probably will have SIL drive us to port the day before cruise. What hotel do you recommend that will have shuttle service to the port or taxi service to the port?

Thanks so much in advance :)

What's your budget? How early are you going to arrive in the area and where are you coming from? The Newark Airport area is not a vacation destination and there are few hotels that we recommend that also offer a port shuttle. Most folks arrange their own transportation via car service. Many hotels do not have a restaurant (they may offer free breakfast, but no restaurant), so if you don't have a car that is a consideration as well.

We are using the Hampton Inn on State Island. They offer a breakfast each morning. They also offer a free shutttle to the pier. If you SIL doesn't want to drive you to Bayonne area, the Hampton also allows you to leave your car there for the length of the cruise at no extra cost. You make your hotel reservations anytime and then call back 30 days before sailing and put your name on the shuttle list. We are doing this for our August 30th Explorer cruise. We used this service three years ago but we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island. The Hampton and Hilton share the same shuttle. It worked out great that trip.

What's your budget? How early are you going to arrive in the area and where are you coming from? The Newark Airport area is not a vacation destination and there are few hotels that we recommend that also offer a port shuttle. Most folks arrange their own transportation via car service. Many hotels do not have a restaurant (they may offer free breakfast, but no restaurant), so if you don't have a car that is a consideration as well.

Hotel costs doesn't matter. We are coming from the Philadelphia area. I wanted to leave our house at about 8am and take into consideration that we will probably get lost on the way, it shouldn't take us no more than 2 hours to get to Bayonne. Or we would have SIL drive us to the hotel and possibly stay overnight with us and then drop us off at the port.

Our other option, since we don't live too far from the port area, SIL was going to drive us that morning to get there. It's probably not even necessary to stay overnight at a hotel.

Thanks so much. You are very knowledgeable :)

You're sailing on a Sunday which is the least traffic day of the week in the morning. I'd be tempted to drive up the morning of the cruise if you are 2 hours from Bayonne. I've sailed several times on a Sunday and never had any traffic or issues. From exit 8 on the turnpike (Hightstown) it took only 45 minutes to get to the entrance to the port leaving at 9:30 am and we were plenty early.

You're sailing on a Sunday which is the least traffic day of the week in the morning. I'd be tempted to drive up the morning of the cruise if you are 2 hours from Bayonne. I've sailed several times on a Sunday and never had any traffic or issues. From exit 8 on the turnpike (Hightstown) it took only 45 minutes to get to the entrance to the port leaving at 9:30 am and we were plenty early.

Ok, that would be great. So I will just stick to our regular plans of driving there the day of the cruise. And to be truthful...really didn't want to be bothered with SIL for so long...lol

Thank you so very much.

Archived