Island Dolphin Deck

tarheelmjfan

This was posted on another Island, PC thread:

We did the partial transit on the Island in December. A couple of comments: we did book a balcony, but it was on the Dolphin deck. We booked it because we thought it was bigger than average (now I'm not even sure if it was) but as it turns out it was too low. We had some rough seas and the splash reached our balcony....we even cancelled our balcony dinner.
To keep from highjacking that thread I thought it would be better to start another one.

Has anyone else had this experience? We're booked on Dolphin deck for a Panama Canal partial transit. Now I'm wondering, if we should try to switch to Caribe deck. We plan to book the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast & Dinner. We already discussed moving once for the bigger balcony, & decided to stay in the cabin we have booked. Maybe, we should reconsider. I'm not even sure if we could switch now, but we could try. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

This was posted on another Island, PC thread: To keep from highjacking that thread I thought it would be better to start another one.

Has anyone else had this experience? We're booked on Dolphin deck for a Panama Canal partial transit. Now I'm wondering, if we should try to switch to Caribe deck. We plan to book the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast & Dinner. We already discussed moving once for the bigger balcony, & decided to stay in the cabin we have booked. Maybe, we should reconsider. I'm not even sure if we could switch now, but we could try. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

We have had a suite toward the aft on Dolphin deck and minis on Dolphin and Caribe both forward and aft.

We never had water reach the balcony other then rain.

Its above the Promanade deck.

It would have to be huge waves to reach.

Its pretty high off the water, never had sea spray! :eek:

We were in D706 for our Alaska cruise, and we never had any problem with waves splashing up to the balcony. That would have to be some pretty big waves! Of course, in Alaska, it's not like you're out at sea very much anyways, but I wouldn't think that would be much of a problem in the Panama Canal region either. Just schedule your dinner on a day when you know it will be calm, like when you have gone through the canal and you are sailing on Gatun Lake.

We were in D706 for our Alaska cruise, and we never had any problem with waves splashing up to the balcony. That would have to be some pretty big waves! Of course, in Alaska, it's not like you're out at sea very much anyways, but I wouldn't think that would be much of a problem in the Panama Canal region either. Just schedule your dinner on a day when you know it will be calm, like when you have gone through the canal and you are sailing on Gatun Lake.

That would be the perfect time, but we've booked the canal tour that day. We haven't decided which day to have the dinner. Colon is our only late sailaway, so it will have to be at sea.

We have had a suite toward the aft on Dolphin deck and minis on Dolphin and Caribe both forward and aft.

We never had water reach the balcony other then rain.

Its above the Promanade deck.

It would have to be huge waves to reach.

Its pretty high off the water, never had sea spray! :eek:

We were in D710 for our Panama Canal cruise. No problem with splash at all. I was surprised to read that--must have been some rough seas! :eek:

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that was pretty far up for sea spray, but wanted to ask others their experience to make sure.

We did a Panana Canal partial transit in an Emerald (deck 8) balcony on the Coral and never had issues with splash from waves. We were in very rough seas on the Star (different class of ship) and there wasn't much slash on the Promenade (deck 7). Plaza (deck 5) is above sea level and I find it hard to believe that wave splash would reach up five decks to Dolphin (deck9) balconies.

In order for seas to splash on Dolphin deck, the waves would have to be so large that they'd have to hit Gala, Plaza, Fiesta, Promenade, and Emerald decks. That's the equivalent of being on the 5th floor of a building. Highly unlikely and if that were the case, splashing on the balcony would be the least of your worries. It's possible that in high winds and rough seas, there might be some spray carried by the wind, particularly if you are in a forward cabin. You wouldn't be outside on your balcony anyway if that's the case.

I concur. We have stayed in D416. If the water is reaching up to that deck regularly, I would be having much bigger concerns about the current sailing environment.

It is the lowest deck, so if there is wind driven spray you may get some, but that would be the worst I can conceive of on a regular basis.

We had a balcony cabin on the island at the front of the ship on dolphin deck a BE cat. Had no trouble with having breakfastl on the balcony in Alaska there was no spray coming up just a little chilly because it was in September. Not the ideal place for ultimate balcony dinning because of it being cold at night and really foggy some nights. It is fun do. They only thing is this cat of balcony cabin the balcony is realy small only big enough for 2 people.There was a nice size table and 2 chairs and it filled the balcony. They were the old white palstic table and chairs. Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.:)

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. :)

We had a balcony cabin on the island at the front of the ship on dolphin deck a BE cat. Had no trouble with having breakfastl on the balcony in Alaska there was no spray coming up just a little chilly because it was in September. Not the ideal place for ultimate balcony dinning because of it being cold at night and really foggy some nights. It is fun do. They only thing is this cat of balcony cabin the balcony is realy small only big enough for 2 people.There was a nice size table and 2 chairs and it filled the balcony. They were the old white palstic table and chairs. Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.:)

We have one of the cabins between the mini-suites & full suites near the AFT. I think the balcony's a little bigger than the normal balconies, but I don't know by how much. This is our first Princess cruise, so everything is new to me.

Hi just checked the deck plan and your cabin will have a balcony that will be twice as wide as our was going to Alaska so it will give you more room to enjoy you balcony for meals or just relaxing. It is a great place to watch the sun rise and set and to do a little star gazing. Also a great place to spend the day. I love my balcony thats where I spend alot of time. Hope this helps and you have a wonderful cruise and get hooked it is a wonderfull way to celibarte a wedding anniversary. Fair winds and calm seas:)

Hi just checked the deck plan and your cabin will have a balcony that will be twice as wide as our was going to Alaska so it will give you more room to enjoy you balcony for meals or just relaxing. It is a great place to watch the sun rise and set and to do a little star gazing. Also a great place to spend the day. I love my balcony that's where I spend alot of time. Hope this helps and you have a wonderful cruise and get hooked it is a wonderful way to celebrate a wedding anniversary. Fair winds and calm seas:)

Thanks for checking our balcony size for me. :) I'm glad it's a good size. We also like the fact that it's covered. This cruise can't come fast enough. We have cruised before, but never with Princess. I'm sure we'll have a great time.

Archived