Taking Sky Train from airport to hotel near Canada Place

We would like to take the Sky Train from the airport to either the Fairmont Waterfront or Hyatt Regency on Burrard St. Are both hotels do-able using the Sky Train? Is one hotel easier than the other? We will have luggage with us but walking a few blocks is not a problem for us. What stop would we take for each hotel? What are the directions to each hotel, once we get off the Sky Train. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Both could work for you - for the Hyatt - you have two options - get off at Vancouver Centre station and walk three level blocks west to the Hyatt or take the Canada Line which is what the Skytrain line to the Airport is called and take it to the end at Waterfront station - you could then transfer - one level down -to the other lines and take it to the next station called Burrard which is adjacent to the Hyatt and Royal Center.

For the Fairmont - take Canada Line to Waterfront - exit to the street and walk about two - three blocks to the hotel - slight uphill - it is possible to get from Waterfront station to the hotel using underground passageways but I am not that familiar with how that works - Scott Bee or some of the other locals who use the system more than me can help on that one.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

For the Fairmont - take Canada Line to Waterfront - exit to the street and walk about two - three blocks to the hotel - slight uphill - it is possible to get from Waterfront station to the hotel using underground passageways but I am not that familiar with how that works - Scott Bee or some of the other locals who use the system more than me can help on that one.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

You could also have a slight slope if you were to take the two escalators to street level rather then walking down the long tunnel. When you get to street level, do a 180; that is Hastings Street. Cross Hastings and go left. When you get to the next intersection, you'll be at Hastings and Howe. Turn right and go slightly downhill. The Fairmont is at the next corner. It's about a 5 min walk.

I don't recommend taking the underground passageway through Waterfront if you have luggage - there is no elevator at the west end of the tunnel, only an escalators (and part of it only has an escalator up), so can be a struggle with suitcases. I walk through there every day, and sometimes see passengers coming from the ships struggling with luggage...

As said above easiest way to Fairmont is above ground (exit out of main terminal building and turn right). Easiest way to Hyatt is to get off the Canada Line (airport line) at City Centre stop (the one before Waterfront) and walk west along Georgia Street for 3 blocks (its flat, no incline) to get to Burrard and Hyatt is 1/2 a block north.

I stayed at the Hyatt last year, IIRC, it was recently renovated, rooms are large. I think you are more likely to have a city view, than water view. Might be more likely to have a water view from Fairmont, if you are on the right side of the building. It's a long time since I stayed there, so can't comment on the rooms. They do have a really nice restaurant at ground level - Heron's - which I can recommend.

See I said some of the other locals would be able to provide info about the underground passageway and sure enough you have a first hand view of it.

Thanks Westcoast tech

Cheers!

Dennis

We would like to take the Sky Train from the airport to either the Fairmont Waterfront or Hyatt Regency on Burrard St. Are both hotels do-able using the Sky Train? Is one hotel easier than the other? We will have luggage with us but walking a few blocks is not a problem for us. What stop would we take for each hotel? What are the directions to each hotel, once we get off the Sky Train. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Just a quick explanation; Skytrain is the generic term applied to all the light-rail lines in Metro Vancouver, so it encompasses Canada Line (to the airport), and Expo Line (to Surrey) and Millenium Line (around Burnaby). Expo/Millenium share tracks downtown, so really it's only two lines downtown.

From the airport to Fairmont Waterfront, get off at Waterfront Station, and exit using the elevator on the platform marked "granville street". This will put you at the corner of Granville & W.Hastings, a couple of blocks from your hotel. Don't follow the crowd into Waterfront station, as it will add a block and a half to your walk, use the elevator right on the platform

From the airport to the Hyatt Regency, get off at City Centre station, and walk three blocks up Georgia. While there's a Skytrain station (Burrard Stn) right next to the Hyatt, it's on the Expo/Millenium Lines, and a transfer between the two lines will involve a longish walk, and two elevators, it's just not worth it.

I am not certain what "a walk up Georgia St. is" (and I lived there for 60 years and worked downtown for some 40 years) but when you come out of Vancouver City Centre station turn left on West Georgia St. and walk 3 blocks to Burrard St.. As you approach Burrard St. you will see the Hyatt on the west side of Burrard, to your right about mid-block.

Perhaps they mean when you exit at the Vancouver City Center station you are in the 700 Block Georgia St W and when you reach the hotel you are in the the 1000 block Georgia St. W so therefore you are going up Georgia or perhaps they were meaning to suggest that you actually are walking slightly uphill which might be the case until you get to Georgia but then it's downhill a short distance to the Hotel's entrance.

Cheers

Dennis

How about getting from the airport to Canada Place with luggage? Is that do-able on cruise ship day or is it difficult to get luggage in/out of the train? Also, is the waterfront station pretty close to Canada Place? It looks like it from the map. Thanks in advance for help! :)

How about getting from the airport to Canada Place with luggage? Is that do-able on cruise ship day or is it difficult to get luggage in/out of the train? Also, is the waterfront station pretty close to Canada Place? It looks like it from the map. Thanks in advance for help! :)

Yes, using the train to get from the airport to Canada Place w/luggage is do-able on cruise ship day. There is minimal gap between the platform and the train so the luggage rolls on quite easily. The only problem I have seem is when people try to push their luggage instead of pull. There is a very tiny lip that is only noticeable if you push you luggage on.

The walk to Canada Place from waterfront station is about 5 minutes. Use the escalators up to street level instead of the long hallway walk.

Here's a map from the station to Canada Place: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204770372318860327957.0004c4426d524bf2940ca&msa=0

It is about 3 blocks from Waterfront Station to Canada Place, most of it being level to slightly downhill. The Canada Line cars were designed for luggage so it is not an issue. There are elevators at both the YVR and Waterfront stations for people with luggage.

The walk to Canada Place from waterfront station is about 5 minutes. Use the escalators up to street level instead of the long hallway walk.

To expand on this; the exit is marked "Exit to Granville Street". Don't go down the long hallway, this exit is right on the platform (and there's an elevator too)

To expand on this; the exit is marked "Exit to Granville Street". Don't go down the long hallway, this exit is right on the platform (and there's an elevator too)

Two elevators actually. One from the platform to the ticket level then from the ticket level to street level. I take this exit Mon-Fri and admit not to pay too much attention to the signs. BTW, the signs don't say 'exit' they say 'way out'.

Two elevators actually. One from the platform to the ticket level then from the ticket level to street level. I take this exit Mon-Fri and admit not to pay too much attention to the signs. BTW, the signs don't say 'exit' they say 'way out'.

I know, the "WAY OUT" struck me as odd when it opened.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#5371855348978723922

is the exit they want.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful information. We'll be taking the Skytrain to the Fairmont Waterfront... unless it's raining (we won't be there until the end of September).

Don't forget you have to exit the Waterfront building to get to the cruise ship terminal! Saw 2 very confused passengers this weekend that were walking down the tunnel that goes to the Seabus (our ferry), wondering why it wasn't taking them to the check in for the Century...

Archived