Inside Category I on Veendamw

sixbirches

We just got our cabin assignment, I 062, on the Navigation deck on the Veendam, which leaves on sunday. We booked very last minute and the only category available was the Inside guarantee NN, but we didn't receive that assignment. So this room seems like an upgrade, right?

This is our first cruise on the Veendam, but we have been to Bermuda many times. Any comments, etc...on this room or stateroom category, deck? The search function doesn't seem to provide too much on specifics.

We usually cruise with a balcony, but with only 2 sea days, this doesn't seem too important on this cruise.

Any info on the room or the Inside category I rooms would be great!

Thanks!

Yes, this cabin is as "high" as you can go, and still be in an inside cabin. Well done!

Balconies are relatively expensive on Veendam, because this ship (S class) has few of them.

I took a look at Joanie's excellent website for cabin photos:

http://abqreunion2008.com/

However, couldn't find anything to show you.

P.S.: I hesitate to post this, because I don't want to get your hopes up. Veendam is the S class ship I don't know inside out, because it had changes that some of the sister ships didn't get. But....you MAY be able to go out of your cabin door...turn left...go about 50 feet to a cross hallway...turn right...then go out a door onto an open deck near a crew stairway. If I'm right, you've scored a "secret" balcony without having to pay for it.

... an open deck near a crew stairway.
I don't think that's a crew stairway. Generally "lined" outside decks are public, and the matching stairway on the starboard side goes up to the Lido deck. But IIRC that's a pretty narrow space (just a stair landing) and not enough to put a chair out there.

....you MAY be able to go out of your cabin door...turn left...go about 50 feet to a cross hallway...turn right...then go out a door onto an open deck near a crew stairway. If I'm right, you've scored a "secret" balcony without having to pay for it.

Indeed there are (enclosed) exterior stairways on both port and starboard aft corners. IIRC on Navigation Deck they have railings exposed to the outside, good for standing but not an area to put chairs. Two decks down on either stairway is the wraparound promenade; one deck up accessible on the starboard side only is the Retreat.

I just disembarked the Veendam on Sunday and two of our party of 19 people were in cabin 062. It is a brand new cabin that was installed as the result of removing the aft pool and replacing it with the retreat. It is a standard inside cabin on the Navigation deck. It cannot be accessed from the regular hallways but by passing the aft elevators and then going to the right. As the previous poster noted there is an aft stairway "OSCAR" but I am not sure if there is access from your hallway. You will be extemely close to the aft elevator and just one flight up to the LIDO and retreat. I'm told that the air conditioning works well in that cabin and is easily controlled.

Couple of quick images from last week (still going through the lot)...

port-side aft staircase, Deck 7 (IIRC):

Veendam-Aft-5099-HDRjlow-M.jpg

port-side aft staircase, Deck 9 (IIRC):

Veendam-Aft-5104-HDRjlow-M.jpg

We walked up the port side a few times, and were able to access Deck 10; then crossed over and exited the door on the starboard side to get up to the Retreat.

I am pretty sure that most of us ccers who have taken this cruise are pretty envious that you are going this weekend. You are correct in thinking that with just a few days you can do without the balcony. It is such a neat thing to be able to dock the ship right in Hamilton. I wanna go!!:)

Archived