DIY Tour of Kenai Peninsula & Southbound Cruise on the Millenium - Lengthy

poolwife

For lunch they served a buffet or prime rib, salmon, rice with veggies in it, caesar salad, rolls, non-alcoholic drinks and dessert. Lunch was an additional $19.00 per person. It was very good.

There was an excellent ranger naturalist on board they gave commentary throughout the trip.

The trip also took us to two glaciers.

DSCN0464.jpg

DSCN0454.jpg

DSCN0452.jpg

DSCN0451.jpg

DSCN0449.jpg

DSCN0447.jpg

420.jpg

419.jpg

It was COLD out there.

417.jpg

DSCN0413.jpg

So, our day in Kenai Fjords National Park was sensational. The weather was good, not sunny, like the next day was, but nonetheless, it was good. At least it didn't rain and what a fabulous whale show we had.

I certainly highly recommend doing this tour. You can also find a 2 for 1 coupon in the Northern Lights coupon book for it which certainly does help out and that in itself paid for the coupon book.

At the end of the day, John ended going to a small restaurant/tavern that our host, Tom, recommended that had halibut pieces and fries that were real good, and he brought them back to the house to eat. It was great, eating in and settling back and enjoying the view of the fjords out of the window.

Thursday, June 21

After getting up and packing up the car, we headed over to the SeaLife Center. Loved seeing the puffins up close and how they scurried across the water. It is a great center and about 2 hours is enough time there. Well, we said goodby to Seward and headed on down the road back towards Anchorage. This is when we stopped at Summit Lake for lunch on this beautiful sunny day. The lake was just glistening. Then we headed back to the Marriott Residence Inn to prepare for our next day. We just ate the so-so dinner meal provided at the hotel and then our men drove our rental car back to the airport. Hotel shuttle went and picked them up.

Friday, June 22

Well, we got up at 4:30 am so we could get ready and take the hotel shuttle to the train station at 5:30 am. The train station was about 10 - 15 minutes away. We talked the shuttle driver into stopping for a quick to go breakfast at McDonald's which was only a couple blocks away. (The breakfast at the hotel didn't start until 6:30 am). Of course, we paid for the driver to have something also. Was nice of him to stop. We thought we were going to be there too early. The station was bustling with people. We had reserved the Goldstar service which we all enjoyed. We ended up getting a second breakfast about 9:00 - 9:30 on the train. Food was good, but a little slow. Sitting in the all dome car of Goldstar service was great and pretty roomy. Would have been much more reasonable though to have used the 2for1 coupon in our coupon books though and sit in Adventure Class, but our men wanted to do this and who knows when we are coming back. John says since this was our 5th time we are going to wait awhile.

We had beautiful scenery on our way to Seward. The train does not follow the road all the way. In fact, you see glaciers from the train that you do not see from the road. It was truly an enjoyable experience and so glad we did it.

However, this is the only part of the trip I would change. I wish we would have driven straight back from Homer to Anchorage on Tuesday, then taken the train on Wednesday to Seward, done Kenai Fjords trip on Thursday. With this itinerary then we would have already been in Seward and would not have had to get up soooo early on the day we boarded the ship.

We all adjusted fine, but I think that would have worked out better. We didn't do a lot of driving around Seward except drove out to Exit Glacier but none of us felt like taking the hike up to the glacier so we just enjoyed the scenery. So we could have been in Seward without a car and maybe just walked or gotten a taxi.

To be continued..............Pictures from the train ride to Seward and then the cruise on Celebrity's Millenium which departed at 8:00 pm, Friday, June 22.

• 4 weeks later...

Great review-the pictures of Homer are so familiar

Just a few notes about places to eat and places to stay in Homer for those maybe going there.

For an absolutely great breakfast at very decent prices, try the Happy Face restaurant on the second floor above the little grocery/general merchandise store. 4400 Homer Spit Road.

Best breakfast in Homer and the views of the small boat harbor are great. We co-own a condo in Homer and eat breakfast at the Happy Face 2-3 times per week. You don't have to wait at Happy Face like you do at Sourdough or Two Sisters. And the price is 1/2. It is truly a local place and tourists rarely find it. PACKED with fishermen when the silver salmon start running.

For really good fish and chips, a large variety of sandwiches and some very creative meals, Boardwalk fish and chips can't be beat. And again, the prices are very reasonable.

For some of the BEST pastries and soups you will ever try, drive out East End Rd to Fritz Creek Grocery in Fritz Creek, Alaska (20 miles or so from the Spit). A true throwback to 1960's Venice Beach-hippie skirts and all. Combination grocery store, restaurant, commune, post office, bulletin board and general meeting place in the area. I LOVE baklava-have eaten it literally all over the world. I am currently working in Kuwait, so have lots of baklava available all the time. But the baklava made fresh at the Fritz Creek Grocery is truly some of the best I have eaten worldwide. My friends say the fresh eclairs are to die for.

Fritz Creek is the home of Libby Riddles, first woman to win the Iditarod. She is not in Fritz Creek during the summer-she is in Juneau giving presentations to Princess cruise passengers.

And for a very special place to stay right on the Spit, check out SeaLion. Even though we co-own a condo in Homer, there are times when we arrive and it is rented out, so have to find someplace else to stay until it is vacant. Have tried a lot of places but SeaLion has become our home away from home. REALLY decent rates, only two apartments. And some of the best views in all of Homer.

Homer, Alaska-one of my two favorite places in the world (the other is Phnom Penh, Cambodia-both are straight out of the Wild West).

Great review-the pictures of Homer are so familiar

Just a few notes about places to eat and places to stay in Homer for those maybe going there.

For an absolutely great breakfast at very decent prices, try the Happy Face restaurant on the second floor above the little grocery/general merchandise store. 4400 Homer Spit Road.

Best breakfast in Homer and the views of the small boat harbor are great. We co-own a condo in Homer and eat breakfast at the Happy Face 2-3 times per week. You don't have to wait at Happy Face like you do at Sourdough or Two Sisters. And the price is 1/2. It is truly a local place and tourists rarely find it. PACKED with fishermen when the silver salmon start running.

For really good fish and chips, a large variety of sandwiches and some very creative meals, Boardwalk fish and chips can't be beat. And again, the prices are very reasonable.

For some of the BEST pastries and soups you will ever try, drive out East End Rd to Fritz Creek Grocery in Fritz Creek, Alaska (20 miles or so from the Spit). A true throwback to 1960's Venice Beach-hippie skirts and all. Combination grocery store, restaurant, commune, post office, bulletin board and general meeting place in the area. I LOVE baklava-have eaten it literally all over the world. I am currently working in Kuwait, so have lots of baklava available all the time. But the baklava made fresh at the Fritz Creek Grocery is truly some of the best I have eaten worldwide. My friends say the fresh eclairs are to die for.

Fritz Creek is the home of Libby Riddles, first woman to win the Iditarod. She is not in Fritz Creek during the summer-she is in Juneau giving presentations to Princess cruise passengers.

And for a very special place to stay right on the Spit, check out SeaLion. Even though we co-own a condo in Homer, there are times when we arrive and it is rented out, so have to find someplace else to stay until it is vacant. Have tried a lot of places but SeaLion has become our home away from home. REALLY decent rates, only two apartments. And some of the best views in all of Homer.

Homer, Alaska-one of my two favorite places in the world (the other is Phnom Penh, Cambodia-both are straight out of the Wild West).

Great info, thanks. Just so happens that we already booked the Sealion for 3 nights next summer, so glad to see that you recommend it. Now we know where to eat too!:)

We have rented the Sealion for 2 days next summer also. I am really looking forward to that! greatam, do you know where there is a good place to grab a sack lunch for my husband to take when he goes out in the EARLY AM with your recommendation of Gary at Silverfin?

We have rented the Sealion for 2 days next summer also. I am really looking forward to that! greatam' date=' do you know where there is a good place to grab a sack lunch for my husband to take when he goes out in the EARLY AM with your recommendation of Gary at Silverfin?[/quote']

Aren't you going to purchase snacks or food if you are staying at SeaLion? They have a frig and microwave. I'd just buy what you need to make a lunch and throw it in the grocery bag.

Safeway has pre made sandwiches-fresh ones they make in the deli. The convenience store on the North side of town by Safeway has those pre made sandwiches that all convenience stores sell.

Unless you have more money than Warren Buffet, I sure wouldn't be paying anyone to make up a sack lunch. JMHO, but that option is only for those staying in hotels and not having a kitchen available.

We have rented the Sealion for 2 days next summer also. I am really looking forward to that! greatam' date=' do you know where there is a good place to grab a sack lunch for my husband to take when he goes out in the EARLY AM with your recommendation of Gary at Silverfin?[/quote']

Cruisin'mama, Walleyelj is doing wonderful trip review (on front page now I believe) and in it he speaks of Homer a lot. He posted a picture & a small review of the place where he got sack lunches for his bear trip. (page 1). It's on the spit & it looks good to me! Here is the link to his review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679447

greatam, didn't think about the Sealion having a fridge....that is our best option ( and cheapest! )

Liz315, thanks for the link...that is a great review. The place where he got his sack lunches showed a sign saying they opened at 5am. I think my husband will have been gone for a few hours already at 5am, but it was a good idea, so thanks!

Cruisin'mama, Walleyelj is doing wonderful trip review (on front page now I believe) and in it he speaks of Homer a lot. He posted a picture & a small review of the place where he got sack lunches for his bear trip. (page 1). It's on the spit & it looks good to me! Here is the link to his review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679447

Guess everyone must have Warren Buffet's money. Lunches are $12-15pp at Boardwalk Bakery depending on whether you want a drink or not.

That's a chunk of change for lunch on a fishing trip where you are NOT on a boat and have to walk and fish and juggle your lunch. Most sandwiches are $4-5 at Safeway and they even have hot meatball and reindeer sausage. There are also two Subways in Homer-one in town and one on the Spit. No $5.00 footlongs but about $8.00 for a footlong.

And I would imagine that anyone staying in lodging that has a kitchen or semi kitchen will purchase bread, eggs, some lunch meat, water, soda, etc. etc. I know all our friends do.

While I am all for supporting Homer's local businesses, a lot of the eateries in Homer are priced strictly for the tourist trade. You won't find the locals spending that kind of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for enjoying my review and pictures. After coming back to cruise critic, I was surprised to find my review only on page 3. Thought it would be back a lot farther back in the pages. Well, after reading the great review that WalleyLJ wrote I am inspired to finish mine. Mine does not even compare to his. Very different trips. He has some great pictures of flying over Kachemak Bay to do bear viewing and lots of great pictures of the bears. His writing is very good and entertaining.

Our trip was more laid back and I had not pre-planned on writing a review when I set out on the trip so there are a lot of pictures I wish I had taken in terms of writing the review.

We have been on several little trips since coming back from Alaska and are leaving for Colorado this Wednesday to visit family then home two days, then drive to Northern California for a friend/family 60th anniversary party. So hopefully when I get back I can get to work and get my story finished.

I hope you all use the link in the previous post and read Walley's review. It is sooo good. He isn't finished yet either, but he seems determined to do so.

Thank you, GreatAm for providing all those great tips on eating in Homer. Wish I would have had them before we left. Eating out there is very expensive. The only meal we really enjoyed there was our dinner at Fat Olives. Will keep your tips if we ever go back although my husband says it will be awhile UNLESS I find a great deal. We have been 5 times now and he says he is done with Alaska for now. Since I am the Alaska fanatic, I will savor the memories of all that gorgeous scenery.

I ran across this picture of us in front of the SeaLife Center. I thought it was a nice picture looking up the streets of Seward and showing what a beautiful day we had.

OMG - I can't remember how to post the pictures. Will have to go back and figure that out and read some other posts and play with it. So sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a lurker and you know what they say...for every one you see in broad daylight, there are 100 more little friends hiding out in dark places! I, for one, really value your time and details. I would love to do a northbound or southbound cruise and spend 3-4 days in Seward doing the same Major Marine tour and also the king prize Brooks Falls floatplane tour. Alas, it would appear to be at least another $4,000 for hotel, meals, bear and glacier tours, rental car and additional plane fare. We can't swing that. I know that Brooks Falls tour is obscenely expensive but it would be the reason we sould go to the Seward/Homer/Anchorage route. Did you not consider doing a bear tour of some sort?

Sure, I have thought of it often. But, besides the expense of it, I don't do small planes. I don't like flying at all and MAKE myself do large jets. A great review is written by WalleyLJ. Him and his wife did that whole small plane adventure out of Homer and he has some GREAT bear pictures. You should read his review. It is really good, great pictures and great dialog.

Thank you for your kind comments and I loved the ones about lurking. I do the same thing.

I am planning on getting back to finishing my review in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for taking the time to read it and I am glad you enjoyed it.

• 1 month later...

Archived