Protecting my camera on excursions

markser

I was wondering about the advisability of taking my camera to the motus and on some of the excursions.

When we are snorkeling on excursions or during the motu visits, will we be at locations where there will be people not from the ship that might make it risky to take a good camera or tablet. I'm pretty confident I can protect thee items from the water and sand but not from thieves if my girlfriend and I are both in the water.

Also, which excursions regularly involve wet landings when we get out of a tender or zodiac into the water and wade to land. I guess a backpack and waterproof bag are good for those landings to keep the camera gear above water and my hands free It's what I used in the Galapagos.

I'd like to know what people think too.

We are also doing a Galapagos trip in a month, and planning to bringing a dry bag on the Pangaea there ( for spray or accidental dropping). But that's to get wildlife photos and the lenses needed for that.

Wondering if this is neccasary on PG? Or more likely we would just bring the waterproof camera ( Nikon AW 100) on wet excursions which does an excellent job with photos. DH uses it for water excursions, but I use it as my only camera because it fits in an evening bag and takes great photos on land too! It might be worth the investment for you too?

The wet landings are at the motu on Bora Bora and the motu at Taha'a. Both involve stepping into water less than 12 inches deep. The bottom is hard sand so no slippery rocks are present. You really don't have to worry about protecting your camera from any spray from the water

We did the Galapagos on the Celebrity Xpedition and used the zodiacs a few dozen times. Again the spray is minimal and he camera was safe. The wet landings are also into very shallow water but many landings were rocky which can be slippery.

I was actually more curious about the safety of my non-underwater camera on land while we are snorkeling. I assume I can trust fellow cruisers but wondered if non-PG cruisers will be around on the motus as well. Has anyone heard of theft issues on the motus?

At both the Bora Bora and the Taha'a motu the guests were almost exclusively from the PG. I personally left my kindle, some cash, the stateroom key, etc. with my towel and went snorkeling without an issue. I guess bad things could always happen but I did not hear of any issues and I did not experience any.

Maybe I am asking for a problem but I do this same thing at hotel pools and beaches and have never had a problem. That being said, I would not do this on islands such as Jamaica.

The advantage of the waterproof camera is more specific to being able to take pictures in the water when snokeling.

On our "water/beached" based excursions, we typcially took aliong a waterproof camera, that had a cord which I attached to my wrist, or a carabiner which was attached to my swim suit. Just kept it with me all (or nearly all) of the time. We also purchased a small water proof box (like a really small pelican box) that we kept some cash, credit cards, room keys in. It too had a cord which we could wear around our neck, or attach to a swim suit.

Archived