Kids Programs - Age Restrictions

dxd226

Hello, I am taking my two children aged 6 and 9 on their first cruise. We are also travelling with their cousins aged 4 and 6. We are travelling on Princess where the ages for their programs 3-7 then 8-12 etc... Does anyone know how strict they are on the age cut-offs? I was hoping my 9 yr old could stay with her sister and cousins in the younger group. Are the kids programs any good? Anyone have experience with Princess?

I was hoping my 9 yr old could stay with her sister and cousins in the younger group.

Not to sound snippy but why were you hoping for this? Unless there is some developmental issues, I would let the 9 yr old go to her own aged group. I cannot imagine a 9 yr old enjoying activities they have for the 3-7 age group. Unless you plan on the kids being the in clubs for the entire time, there will be plenty of time for her to be with her sister and cousins. Go the first night and she will probably make some new friends quickly. You know your kids better than anyone here so if you really feel the girls need to be together, I would re-consider using the kids clubs and just plan on family time while on board.

Hello, I am taking my two children aged 6 and 9 on their first cruise. We are also travelling with their cousins aged 4 and 6. We are travelling on Princess where the ages for their programs 3-7 then 8-12 etc... Does anyone know how strict they are on the age cut-offs? I was hoping my 9 yr old could stay with her sister and cousins in the younger group. Are the kids programs any good? Anyone have experience with Princess?

My daughter was 5, 7, 8 and 13 on our Princess cruises (previously we've sailed with Carnival) and she went to the age group that she was assigned to.

I also am wondering why you're hoping the 9 yr old would be in the younger program. I would imagine she would want to be with kids her age. The program is designed with separate activities for each group, based on age. Consider that these are school-aged kids, so unless your children are home schooled without interaction with other kids or are in an one-room school...

Let them go to the program on the first night (that's when the parents fill out forms and find out details on the program) so they can meet the other kids (again, let the 9-yr-old go to the Shockwaves room). You'll get packets of info on each program when you first get to your cabin and I imagine the variety of activities will entice the kids into wanting to go.

I suppose I should have been more detailed. My 9 yr old has asperger's and this makes social situations a little more difficult for her. As a parent of course I would encourage her to join the older group. I am only doing my research now to see what options there may be should there be a problem. My girls are going through a stage where they are very close and if one is left out well god forbid. With the 2 cousins mixed in then it would three in one group...and my eldest on her own.

Anyway like you said there will be plenty for them to do and have fun even if we choose not to go to the kids programs.

The counselors are usually really great with special needs kids, so she may have fun in her own age group with some attention from the staff. My special needs daughter has been allowed to age down when she's been on the borderline - not sure that would be the case though when she's more than year beyond the age-break. I doubt a 9 year old would enjoy the toys, games and activities planeed for the young children.

Best,

Mia

I suppose I should have been more detailed. My 9 yr old has asperger's and this makes social situations a little more difficult for her. As a parent of course I would encourage her to join the older group. I am only doing my research now to see what options there may be should there be a problem. My girls are going through a stage where they are very close and if one is left out well god forbid. With the 2 cousins mixed in then it would three in one group...and my eldest on her own.

Anyway like you said there will be plenty for them to do and have fun even if we choose not to go to the kids programs.

Like I said, you know your kids best. One other thing I might suggest is to get on your Roll Call and see if anyone has any other girls about her age that would be in the kids club. If they can "chat" before boarding and make a plan to meet up when you first board, your DD may feel more comfortable having a friend to be with in the club.

Special needs children are grouped on ability and special arrangements will be made if you request it. :)

When you go the first day/night to register her, simply explain the situation and they will place her in the group you request.

Have a great cruise!

Archived