Vanilla What's the best in Cozumel

IvesGrandmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas viewpost.gif

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but cumarin may be an anti-coagulant such as contained in the Rx coumadin.... it is used by patients for whom the rate of blood clotting must be adjusted to lower risk of heart attack and stroke. A serious drug that needs careful medical monitoring.

Are you possibly thinking of Coumadin? My MIL takes this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

I specifically mentioned the Rx coumadin in my post.

I just underlined it so it can be easily noticed.

Edited by sail7seas

Try the rest then buy the best ..... Los Cinco Sol !!

Do you know if it contains this cumarin we are discussing?

How can we tell if that is an ingredient? Do you think it would be listed on the bottle?

Thanks.

The best vanilla available ( Los Cinco Sol ) DOES NOT have in it....

:) THank You' date=' Cruisin' Again.

I appreciate your checking. It was important to me to not buy that 'additive'.

[/b']

• 2 years later...

Because they know that's what we are looking for they clearly state on the bottle that does not contain it. I got mine for about $6 at one of the all-in-one types gift shops at the port. I like it I'll probably buy more. I baked quite a bit and I'm kind of famous for it around here. Sometimes I don't notice the difference in vanilla but occasionally I do in a recipe. I absolutely hate Madagascar or tahitian vanilla. I would rather use imitation vanilla before I use those so Mexican vanilla and a lot more what I like. I am willing to go to the store and check out this vanilla that everyone brags about. Otherwise I'm fine with what I have now. They had about four varieties in the store with testers out for you to smell them. I did not see any beans for sale but that does not mean they don't have them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin

Yes, it is related to coumadin, but internal usage can cause liver damage in animal tests. So it is not only a fake flavor, it is also an adulterant, _and_ harmful, to boot.

The stuff we got at Los Cinco Soles (the five suns) is labelled specifically: "Does not contain coumarin" which is what you want to see on your vanilla label.

• 2 months later...

http://www.vanilla.mx/products.html

The port doesn't have great vanilla anymore. I bought several bottles of Totonacs Vanilla from the port about 4 years ago for $6.00 A BOTTLE. They no longer carry it, because the mark up would be to high. You can get it direct from their site for $10.50 for 16.6 oz. It's worth the price... awesome vanilla!

• 2 weeks later...
Because they know that's what we are looking for they clearly state on the bottle that does not contain it. I got mine for about $6 at one of the all-in-one types gift shops at the port. I like it I'll probably buy more. I baked quite a bit and I'm kind of famous for it around here. Sometimes I don't notice the difference in vanilla but occasionally I do in a recipe. I absolutely hate Madagascar or tahitian vanilla. I would rather use imitation vanilla before I use those so Mexican vanilla and a lot more what I like. I am willing to go to the store and check out this vanilla that everyone brags about. Otherwise I'm fine with what I have now. They had about four varieties in the store with testers out for you to smell them. I did not see any beans for sale but that does not mean they don't have them.

When I was in Tahiti I bought tahitian vanilla, it is the absolute best in the world, it is #1, madagascar #2 and mexican vanilla #3, these are known facts. The vanilla from Tahiti is so thick & smooth, mexican vanilla they water it down, so buy the best there, the more expensive one.

When I was in Tahiti I bought tahitian vanilla, it is the absolute best in the world, it is #1, madagascar #2 and mexican vanilla #3, these are known facts. The vanilla from Tahiti is so thick & smooth, mexican vanilla they water it down, so buy the best there, the more expensive one.

I'm not sure what the comment, these are known facts, and the numbering of vanillas is about. I said I don't like them. Not sure what any of that has to do with me not liking the flavor of those vanillas