Overwhelmed by choices...

t13nif

My 82yr old mom and i have always bought all-inclusive insurance before we cruise. The only time we have had to make a claim was on our first cruise---out flight back home after disembarking in LA was delayed for four days due to weather. The insurance covered our hotel and expenses until we could fly home.

We have an upcoming Panama cruise in Sept, from Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale and i am soo confused as to what to buy. We live in Vancouver and are walking on, so we don't have to worry about missing connections/flights at the start of the cruise (and we don't care about missing the flight home at the end of the cruise, lol). So i think we are just looking at emergency medical insurance...but what amounts of coverage? My mom is healthy and doesn't have any medical conditions, but she IS 82. How much medical evacuation and expenses coverage should she have? I'm not really concerned with myself, as insurance is a lot cheaper for me, but the premium amounts do make a difference for my mom, and they get more and more as she ages. Thank you for any advice or feedback.

Since you are Canadian and the laws are very different for you than for us in the States, I'd recommend that you search for a thread on this board that is very specific to our Canadian friends. It might even be on page 2.

From the media reports regarding Canadians traveling in the US, those that have had their stories published have incurred expenses of less than $500K. Usually the costs are related to a heart attack and the related hospital stay but have only incurred limited evacuation expenses.

This is MHO, the bare min coverage would be $500K but I consider $1M to be the minimum. The vast majority of Canadian companies are between $1M and unlimited. Those coverages are each and include hospital stays and doctors care plus evacuation and many other items such as hotel stays for the traveling companion etc.

The critical step in the process of obtaining coverage is the completion of the medical questionnaires . They must be completed with full disclosure. The age of 80 is a critical age in obtaining coverage as well.

Hope this helps.

Archived