The EPIC Adventure of a Solo Fashionista

lara_lox

Lara,

Loving your review, the pictures and your commentary. I have wondered about going on the Epic solo but I am 59 and am not sure the solo scene would work for me the way it is working for you young folks. I am married but my husband cannot always get away and there are only a few friends I would like to cruise with that fit my likes/dislikes.

Were there many mid lifers in the singles cabins?

Lara,

Loving your review, the pictures and your commentary. I have wondered about going on the Epic solo but I am 59 and am not sure the solo scene would work for me the way it is working for you young folks. I am married but my husband cannot always get away and there are only a few friends I would like to cruise with that fit my likes/dislikes.

Hi Riddle, I was the youngest genuine solo (ie. not staying in a studio but travelling with my parents) and I would say the vast majority of people were a lot older than me. There was another group of solos who formed who were of an older average age than mine, probably ranging from about 50-70 years old, who met up every night at the same time as us. They were all lovely and seemed very friendly, but who maybe had different interests to us and so did different activities, which is why the split. I really don't think the Studio Lounge is just for young people, I say go for it and if you do I hope you have a wonderful time.

Lara,

I have sailed in the Studio cabins three times now and I can tell you that young ladies of Lara's age are the exception rather than the rule. The majority of the people sailing in the single cabins were 40 and above. I'm a young 52 and felt perfectly comfortable amongst all the cruisers there, young and old.

Lara,

I'm a 56 year old female, and am going in a Studio on the Epic next month. I will do a review when I come back - so you will be able see it from my viewpoint - I am expecting to have a wonderful time!

Day 7 – Marseille:

EpicCruise2012108.jpg

As you can imagine, I was not up early this morning and when I was, I did not feel my best! I went to O’Sheehan’s again for breakfast, hoping to get the full Country Platter today! This time it was all there and was very tasty. I had already decided not go ashore today but instead enjoy my last day onboard the lovely Epic. I had heard that Marseille was rather industrial and there was not very much to do there, so if I had gone ashore I would have probably visited one of the nearby pretty little villages instead.

I went to sunbathe at Spice but it was a lot busier today and really, really hot out. So I didn’t stay very long before going to start on my packing. I decided to go up to the quiet sundeck, which is on deck 18, accessed by the glass elevators by Great Outdoors. Up here there were loads of loungers free so I was able to relax with my book in peace.

I was meant to by meeting some of my friends at Shakers for the Martini Tasting today which I knew would be loads of fun. However, after a heavy night I really did not want to drink any alcohol this afternoon so I just grabbed a chicken sandwich from the Garden Café and lay about up on the quiet deck for the afternoon. Before long I had to go and get ready for my final evening and finish packing.

Tonight I wore a peach coloured dress with a cream waist belt and my pastel platform heels.

EpicCruise2012111.jpg

Because for once I ready in plenty of time, I went for a wander round the shops. It was just the usual selection of duty free cosmetics and perfume with I have plenty of at home but it was still nice to browse. There was also some pretty jewellery which Elaine and I did debate buying. I think the only reason we didn't was because we got distracted chatting! Then after the delicious cocktail from the Pool Bar yesterday, I decided to go and grab another one to take to the Solos Meeting. The bar was really busy though and the bar tender had to phone for another member of staff to help him. This new guy served me and although the basic ingredients were there, this cocktail was not the same as the one I had yesterday and no-where near as nice. Forget ‘Passionate Kiss’, this should have been called ‘Lukewarm Peck on the Cheek!’ I met up with my friends at the Lounge as usual before we made our way to Taste for dinner.

EpicCruise2012109.jpg

I had the crab cake, followed by the mushroom quesadilla which was AMAZING, then the chef’s speciality of bouillabaisse. Unfortunately the bouillabaisse was not very warm when it arrived and I didn’t want to risk cold seafood and sent it back. The waiter was very apologetic and when my meal returned it was piping hot. Despite this hiccup, the meal was delicious once again, and this one minor issue was the only real problem any of us had with the food all week. A lot of people complain about the food quality on NCL, but I was very pleased indeed in general. I thought that for mass produced food it was very good, always seemed fresh and well presented, and there was a vast selection. Coming from me this is high praise indeed as I do like nice food.

We went for a night cap in Maltings where we took a few last photos together. Then everyone drifted off to bed, aware we all had very early starts in the morning. It was sad to say goodbye to everyone but I was glad I was sensible for once and went to bed early. I grabbed a fruit tea from the Studio Lounge to drink as I checked my cabin again, because I am always worried I will leave something important behind! Then I placed my luggage outside my cabin before midnight as requested, ready for collection.

EpicCruise2012112.jpg

EpicCruise2012110.jpg

EpicCruise2012114.jpg

Edited by lara_lox

Hi Lara

I went on the Epic as a solo in October last year & June this year and had a fab time like you - meeting up with some really great folks each night in the solo lounge & picking a different restaurant each night. Agree that the solo lounge hostess was rather hard going compared to Natalie - there was a really awkward silence the first night when we all turned up!!! Luckily we ended up sorting ourselves out & a core of about 12 of us met up for meals each night! It is important to get to the 6.30 meeting at least the first couple of nights in order to find out what is happening and meet some friendly faces.

Really enjoying reading about your experiences - especially the food! Love the clothes! I was very interested to see how you found it compared to your solo cruises on Liberty and Jade? Which would you say has been the best for you as a solo? I want to book another solo cruise for October this year but getting a bit fed up with Epics ports!

Just to agree with another poster..I am 51 and love taking a week out from husband and kids to go off duty and sunbathe. Our solo lounge group ranged from 30 to 91! We all dipped in and out of the group depending on what else we had planned! I do worry that Epic's solo lounge has spoiled me for any other cruise ship!

all the best and hope you get sailing again soon!

Carol

Lara, I have been debating sailing alone on the Epic, particularly in one of the solo cabins, and your review has convinced me it wouldn't be the disaster I envisioned for a single lady on such a large vessel. I have done Freestyle once before, and found myself eating alone too often.

I'm 57 and recently sailed with Carnival. Never again. It was WAY too much of a party ship for me, right down to fellow passengers yelling, fighting, and vomiting in the hall right outside my cabin in the middle of the night.

I also loved, loved, LOVED that you dressed so nicely every night. You really are a fashionista! I've been sailing with NCL for many years and have watched it go casual to the point of ridiculous. So nice to see that dressing up is coming back in style.

Thank you for taking the time to write so comprehensively about your experience, and for sharing your great photos.

EpicCruise2012091.jpg

Thought you might like the pics of Richard on Halloween on our Epic TA last October - he went as a tall MJ - really brilliant .... sorry it's small but I do not post my pics online.

PS - we're repeating the TA this October - hope Richard is there again and it will be interesting what he's gonna be this Halloween!

DSCN8784.jpg.6cbb913170e7f0ca659f9ae958ff4f41.jpg

DSCN8780.jpg.ff33939921528d1a22d64712b354b8de.jpg

DSCN8785.jpg.4f7073fa362c79a0c462ea43b59217ab.jpg

Edited by bluesea777

Great review! Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for taking the time to post such a well written review and for also posting your photos.

I agree cruising solo is a great way to go. I've gone by myself a couple of times but since DS is on-board I always have someone to meet with when he's free. But I do spend a large portion of time doing my own thing and it's always fun and relaxing. I think that the single's lounge is a great place to meet with fellow cruisers over the traditional singles meet-up the first night or two. Looking forward to experiencing that someday.

Day 8 – Barcelona:

Despite going to bed at a reasonable time, once again I slept very poorly, probably because I knew I had to get up. What was good though was that no disembarkation calls were made over the tanoy for anyone leaving before 6am, which was one less disturbance. I got one last coffee and orange juice from the Studio Lounge to wake me up before heading to Taste for breakfast. I had a quick meal of smoked salmon and a bagel before leaving the ship. This was nice, relaxed way to spend the very end of my time on the ship as the restaurant was very quiet with almost no-one there.

As many people have commented on, if you have transfers through NCL, you are whisked off the ship waaaay earlier than necessary. They split you into categories, I think that it was flights before 11am = 06.15 disembarkation, flights 11am-1pm = 07.00, flights 1pm-5pm = 07.45 and flights after 5pm = 08.30. My flight was at 1245 so I disembarked at 7am. I didn’t hear any announcements so I just walked off! But they only began to use the tanoy system at around 7am so maybe they did start just after I left. Finding my luggage in the terminal was very easy, each conveyor belt was clearly marked and bags were arriving very quickly. Once you had collected your luggage, there were lots of NCL reps stood around outside, checking your names off their lists and directing you to a coach. Once each coach was full we left for the airport.

The coaches stopped at every terminal and a rep make it very clear which terminal to get off at for each airline. Mine was the last stop and our driver seemed to get lost and drive round the car parks in circles for ages for some reason! But even with this delay, I was still at Barcelona T2 for 08.30. Prior to check-in there is absolutely nothing to do here, except visit one tiny coffee shop. T1 is the main terminal with more amenities and lockers where you can store your luggage. So unfortunately it meant just sitting about for a good two hours before our check-in opened. I already knew this though so was mentally prepared and had my book handy! Luckily for me, as soon as I walked into the terminal I saw a lovely couple who I had sat with on the flight out. Funnily enough we hadn’t so much as glimpsed each other all cruise so we managed to happily pass the time by exchanging stories.

You could stay on the ship until at least 9am (probably a bit later if you did easy walk off and didn’t have to worry about your luggage.) I did this on my last cruise and I think that I would do the same again in the future and just grab a taxi to the airport. For those who aren’t travelling alone, I don’t see any benefit in using the transfers because for the amount NCL charge per person (can’t remember exactly but about E30) it would be cheaper to pay for a taxi between you and you have the bonus of doing it in your own time.

After some duty free shopping and another bite eat, it was time to say goodbye to Barcelona. One uneventful flight and I was back at Manchester, with another fantastic cruise behind me. I had an amazing time and would love to sail on the Epic again. There was so much to do that I don’t feel like I even scratched the surface and I almost felt guilty, like I hadn’t made the most of what she had to offer! I personally enjoyed being on such a large ship, split into different areas, as it was definitely never boring, and there was something for every mood. The Studio idea is a credit to NCL and I feel very lucky to have met some wonderful people this way, who made my holiday for me.

I think I have finally said everything I have to say so I guess this is goodbye for now (A miracle, bet you thought it would never end lol! :p) Thank you very much to you all for reading and bearing with me as I re-lived my Epic Adventure! So until next time, happy cruising everyone :D Xxx

I loved your story. Thank you for taking the time to write it, it gave me something to look forward to reading every day this week. You should team up with Terkgirl and do a single cruising website of some sort.

I loved your story. Thank you for taking the time to write it, it gave me something to look forward to reading every day this week. You should team up with Terkgirl and do a single cruising website of some sort.

I agree, vie been bouncing back and forth reading both stories, waiting anxiously for the next chapter to be revealed :)

I am sailing the TA in a stuido, leaving the husband and kids at home, so have really enjoyed hearing about studio life.

Thank you once again for all the nice comments everyone, I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Just wanted to let you know that I actually saved all my dailies and brought them home with me so when I get chance over the next few days I will try to scan them in and post them for everyone to see. See, I'm nice really!

Now I've come to the end of my review I actually feel a little sad, my holiday really is over and I'm getting nostalgic already! Oh well, I guess there is only one thing to do...PLAN ANOTHER CRUISE! :D

So until next time, happy cruising everyone :D Xxx

Awesomely fun report to read... thanks for taking the time... I prefer your style of writing a report.. it gives me more a of a feel of the ship.. I want to read all those thoughts... :)

I would be interested how well you do budget wise with this cruise Vs others.. do you set a daily spending limit for yourself? Do you even worry about money on your cruise?

cheers!

I'm a 56 year old female, and am going in a Studio on the Epic next month. I will do a review when I come back - so you will be able see it from my viewpoint - I am expecting to have a wonderful time!

I will definitely look forward to your review! I'll be 55 when I sail on the Epic so am very interested in what it's like for a female around my age. I hope you have wonderful experiences to report!

Lara, I have been debating sailing alone on the Epic, particularly in one of the solo cabins, and your review has convinced me it wouldn't be the disaster I envisioned for a single lady on such a large vessel. I have done Freestyle once before, and found myself eating alone too often.

I'm 57 and recently sailed with Carnival. Never again. It was WAY too much of a party ship for me, right down to fellow passengers yelling, fighting, and vomiting in the hall right outside my cabin in the middle of the night.

So sorry to hear fo your experience on Carnival! I've done 7 cruises with them and have never expereinced any fighting or seen anyone vomit. Eewwww. The shorter cruises tend to have more of a party atmospher (especially over holidays or spring break) but I've never experienced that on a 7-day or longer cruise. TBH, I'm a bit nervous about our B2B cruises on Carnival next month--one's a 3-day and the other a 4-day. Haven't done a short cruise in 15 years. :eek:

Thank you once again for all the nice comments everyone, I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Just wanted to let you know that I actually saved all my dailies and brought them home with me so when I get chance over the next few days I will try to scan them in and post them for everyone to see. See, I'm nice really!

Now I've come to the end of my review I actually feel a little sad, my holiday really is over and I'm getting nostalgic already! Oh well, I guess there is only one thing to do...PLAN ANOTHER CRUISE! :D

I booked the Red Sea on 3rd Jan today. :)

Thanks for the review Lara. Love your style of writing and all the pictures. We're on the Epic in September and now looking forward to it even more. Would be great if you could post your dailies if you get a chance.