Just back from Navigator

There are also places where RCI says you can't bring water on board. You can.

Gina

Thanks so much.

So you packed some bottled water in your checked luggage for the cruise?

Does it matter if you bring the water in hand luggage on you as opposed to in your checked luggage? How about bringing on water from ports of call in hand luggage?

Finally, what about canned drinks (soda or juice)?

Thanks again for the post.

Hi Canuk,

every evening the entertainment has two show times. It's stated in the Cruise Compass which show is for Early Seating and which for late. We ate always quite early and never missed a show.

What would you like to know about the processes? When you get to the pier and out of the shuttle bus (or taxi) go to the left side of the tent and leave your luggage there. If you already have the RCCL luggage tags just leave your bags to the crew. If not, you can get them from a desk that's inside. Then go to the right side end of the tent, have all your documents ready and follow the lines to security check and then to check-in. Then you'll go through another security check, pose for a photo and walk into the ship :)

On the last day you disembark according to your colour-coded group. These are assigned to you the day before. You need to pack your bag and leave it outside your cabin the previous night. Once you are out of the ship, you look for your luggage from it's group and you are ready to be off.

Anything else? Fire away!! :D

Thanks so much for that detailed reply.

If I have a rolling suitcase, is it permitted to board with my bag in hand or must it be left on the pier to be delivered to my room?

Same for disembarking - can I take my own bag off with me?

As for dining - the My Time dining seems enticing if we can simply show up when we want. I understand tips must be pre-paid in this case - but it still seems worth it to have the complete flexibility to show up when we want...

One week to go!

hi,

can I pls ask you to send me the compasses too? Hope you aren't sick of doing this already? :)

We are sailing on the 2nd of Sept. but there's not too much movement on the roll call yet - hopefully that will pick up.

thx in advance: isragar@gmail.com

I can't resist the temptation...Can I ask for a Cruise Compass as well? creationsbyheather@gmail.com

Good day all!

Cruise is in a week.

I am landing Sunday morning into Rome and am interested in a direct transfer to the ship. Any leads on a reliable and reasonable transfer?

Anyone else out there for the 22nd interested.....?:D

Ditto for the return on the 29th - to Rome city centre instead of the airport?:)

Happy Sunday.

Thanks so much.

So you packed some bottled water in your checked luggage for the cruise?

Does it matter if you bring the water in hand luggage on you as opposed to in your checked luggage? How about bringing on water from ports of call in hand luggage?

Finally, what about canned drinks (soda or juice)?

Thanks again for the post.

I generally bring water in my checked luggage and my carry on. Keeping it all in one or the other is too heavy. We spread it out in all our luggage. Although I have packed a 24 pack in a lightweight fabric duffle bag in order the keep it intact.

I've brought soda whenever I wanted to but I don't do that as often. We've found that we don't drink most of it and end up giving it to our stateroom attendant, who really likes it. And I don't mean instead of a tip. ;)

None of this has ever been questioned. I don't drink city water from my own tap at home. I don't like the taste of chlorinated water. I don't like mineral or "drinking" water that is bottled either. I drink spring water normally. I will drink water in the dining room because that is run through a special filter that the water going to our rooms doesn't go through. I should probably print out a picture of the water in my bathtub once - in case anyone decides to question my water. I don't drink brown water.

I didn't mean to turn this into a water debate. But it's not likely they will stop someone from drinking water that they find more nutritionally adequate for their own personal needs.

They do sell bottled water as you get off the ship - at least in the hot ports. And they will allow you to bring it back on in the ports. We run out of water on longer cruises and bring it on all the time. We bring soda sometimes, too.

If the water or soda is already opened, they may have you drink it or throw it away when you board. Otherwise there is no problem.

Gina

If I have a rolling suitcase, is it permitted to board with my bag in hand or must it be left on the pier to be delivered to my room?

As for dining - the My Time dining seems enticing if we can simply show up when we want. I understand tips must be pre-paid in this case - but it still seems worth it to have the complete flexibility to show up when we want...

One week to go!

You have to leave it, it's a security issue. As for disembarkation, I'm not 100 % sure. On our Caribbean cruises there was an option where you can take your own luggage with you but you'll have to disembark at a certain time period to do so. We took the Late Departure (paid to stay on the ship until afternoon) so I didn't look into it this time. You can ask Guest Services about this. If they do not have it, you'll have to leave your bag.

We had My Time Dining. We booked a table earlier in the day and we always wanted a table for two. Every day they had them available before 6.15 pm and after 8.30pm. So if you want a table for two at the same time as everyone else, be prepared to wait. They may not be able to accommodate you. We always took an early table and got to it without waiting.

If you have a larger party you can get your table a lot easier.

Good day all!

Cruise is in a week.

I am landing Sunday morning into Rome and am interested in a direct transfer to the ship. Any leads on a reliable and reasonable transfer?

Ditto for the return on the 29th - to Rome city centre instead of the airport?:)

Happy Sunday.

Have you looked on the Europe boards? There are lots of recommendations for transfers to and from Rome. Also, have you asked on your Roll Call about sharing transfers? Some people off your sailing may already have places available?

You have to leave it, it's a security issue. As for disembarkation, I'm not 100 % sure. On our Caribbean cruises there was an option where you can take your own luggage with you but you'll have to disembark at a certain time period to do so. We took the Late Departure (paid to stay on the ship until afternoon) so I didn't look into it this time. You can ask Guest Services about this. If they do not have it, you'll have to leave your bag.

We had My Time Dining. We booked a table earlier in the day and we always wanted a table for two. Every day they had them available before 6.15 pm and after 8.30pm. So if you want a table for two at the same time as everyone else, be prepared to wait. They may not be able to accommodate you. We always took an early table and got to it without waiting.

If you have a larger party you can get your table a lot easier.

Thanks Sinny.

I was seriously considering moving from 6:30p MDR sitting to My Time - just to not feel under the gun while on vacation.

While we are a couple - we are happy to sit with others...

If we will only be offered sitting earlier than 6 or after 8:30 (or a long wait) - that would be a strong dissincentive to chosing the My Time Option.

Thanks so much.

Good day all!

Cruise is in a week.

Happy Sunday.

The most reasonable (apart from the train, which is cheaper but not comfortable as you have to change trains in Roma Trastevere with all your bags) will be a rental car. We just came back from the July 8th cruise on the Navigator and had a rental car today for the way back to the airport. The smallest Hertz car, a 4door Fiat Panda, which is big enough for 2 and bags was 75€ including LDW, One Way Surcharge and taxes plus about 5€ for gas. The drive is about 45 minutes if you go on the motorway A12 (toll 2,10€).

It's way cheaper than the Cruise line's transfer or any other private transfer I could find (except you are a bigger group) . And you are much more flexible: We had a 2 hour break at the beach in Santa Marinella, pure Italian Sunday life without any tourists!

Thanks Sinny.

I was seriously considering moving from 6:30p MDR sitting to My Time - just to not feel under the gun while on vacation.

While we are a couple - we are happy to sit with others...

If we will only be offered sitting earlier than 6 or after 8:30 (or a long wait) - that would be a strong dissincentive to chosing the My Time Option.

Thanks so much.

We had MTD last week and got assigned a table for 2 on 4 of 5 nights (were once in Chops and once in Portofino) although we didn't ask for it. Actually most tables in the MTD section are tables for 2; there are some for 4 (families) and a couple of bigger ones, but usually you'll get a table on your own unless you ask for sitting with others.

We never made a reservation and usually showed up around 8.30 and never had to wait. Once we were not happy with the location of our table right at the entrance and were assigned to move to a table by the window after a few minutes.

Concerning the water question: Don't burden yourself with a heavy weight of bottled waters before embarkation! Bottled water is so cheap in Southern Europe - for a small bottle (0,5l) you will pay 0,50€ in Greece and Turkey and 1€ in Italy, for a big one 1 - 3€. So just pick a couple of bottles in every port of call!

The most reasonable (apart from the train, which is cheaper but not comfortable as you have to change trains in Roma Trastevere with all your bags) will be a rental car. We just came back from the July 8th cruise on the Navigator and had a rental car today for the way back to the airport. The smallest Hertz car, a 4door Fiat Panda, which is big enough for 2 and bags was 75€ including LDW, One Way Surcharge and taxes plus about 5€ for gas. The drive is about 45 minutes if you go on the motorway A12 (toll 2,10€).

It's way cheaper than the Cruise line's transfer or any other private transfer I could find (except you are a bigger group) . And you are much more flexible: We had a 2 hour break at the beach in Santa Marinella, pure Italian Sunday life without any tourists!

WE took a taxi from airport yo downtown Rome for a flat rate of 45 Euros they quoted me 95 Euros first but my husband speaks perfect Italian and reminded them that they have a flats rate of 45 euros and they agreed it was the rate from the airport to downtown ,they love tourists try not to get ripped off like one

Anyone know what the blank space is on the deck plans for decks 6,7,8 between PR rooms 63 and 75? It's a pretty "big" space on the deck plans.:confused:

Big blank spaces on the ship are crew areas.

Anyone know what the blank space is on the deck plans for decks 6,7,8 between PR rooms 63 and 75? It's a pretty "big" space on the deck plans.:confused:

Big blank spaces that show on the maps of the ship are crew areas.

Completely agree with the gratuity thing! We actually went to the guest relations desk twice and expressed our concern to them on how awkward it was to give our waiter a handshake and tell him his gratuity is coming. I don't necessary like it this way and don't think I will do pre-paid gratuities in the future, unless of course we are offered them as a perk to book. Ha.

WE took a taxi from airport yo downtown Rome for a flat rate of 45 Euros they quoted me 95 Euros first but my husband speaks perfect Italian and reminded them that they have a flats rate of 45 euros and they agreed it was the rate from the airport to downtown ,they love tourists try not to get ripped off like one

Sooooo helpful - thanks.

If the fare is 45 Euro flat into Rome from the airport, how much should it be flat fare from the airport to the ship in port?

Is it best to pre-book?

If not pre-booking does it matter where you flag the car from exiting the airport?

Thanks. Can you elaborate?

Work stations? Laundry? Sleeping quarters?

I am concerned about noise?

Many thanks...

Probably all of those and staircases, storage spaces...

We stayed in 6469 and heard nothing.

Thanks so much for that detailed reply.

One week to go!

I don't think you can bring your own luggage on but you can take them off at disembarking. We left with our own luggage and there were others that did as well. On arrival if you need anything small you can add to your carryon. It can take a few hours to get your luggage at your room.

Hi Beolink,

Could you possible post the email address of the Hertz office because I have not been able to get quotes for renting a car from the Port and dropping it off at the airport which is exactly what we want to do - thx in advance.

Also - can you tell me what time you disembarked , where you pocked up the car and how it was driving to the airport [ lots of warnings on the forums about hectic driving and so forth]

thx again

Elana

Archived