Rain

kr9457

Just returned from a two week Alaska land/cruise trip. It rained a few times, but didn't stop us from enjoying anything. For us it was a mostly misty or short-lived rain (like never more than 45 mins), but we heard from guides on our excursions that the week before it had rained all day a few times. Now that we have an Alaska trip under our belts I would recommend the following - purchase a light weight rain coat AND light weight rain pants and keep them in your backpack when you go out of hotels/off the ship. Although many of the water-related excursions provide lots of good rain gear free of charge, many of the "walking around" activities you might do as an excursion or on your own do not. We stayed dry and warm by having both. Emphasis is on the light weight part. My backpack got weighed down quickly with a water bottle, camera, etc. so in hindsight I would have brought the most light weight raincoat I could have found - even the cheap stuff from Walmart would work well, because you will have a sweatshirt/fleece underneath. Have a hood - don't bother with an umbrella.

Just returned from a two week Alaska land/cruise trip. It rained a few times, but didn't stop us from enjoying anything. For us it was a mostly misty or short-lived rain (like never more than 45 mins), but we heard from guides on our excursions that the week before it had rained all day a few times. Now that we have an Alaska trip under our belts I would recommend the following - purchase a light weight rain coat AND light weight rain pants and keep them in your backpack when you go out of hotels/off the ship. Although many of the water-related excursions provide lots of good rain gear free of charge, many of the "walking around" activities you might do as an excursion or on your own do not. We stayed dry and warm by having both. Emphasis is on the light weight part. My backpack got weighed down quickly with a water bottle, camera, etc. so in hindsight I would have brought the most light weight raincoat I could have found - even the cheap stuff from Walmart would work well, because you will have a sweatshirt/fleece underneath. Have a hood - don't bother with an umbrella.

On our cruise in early June, we got quite a bit of rain but mostly in the form of mist. We brought Frogg Toggs raincoats with us and they were great! Very lightweight and breathable so we never got hot while wearing them and they have hoods. I agree on the umbrella.....don't bother. The rain really didn't bother us at all and this cruise was even more amazing then the first one we took two years ago when it only rained one day while we were in Juneau.

Archived