Hang out with Bears and Whales in September, help?

FunShipCruiser05

Ok so I've read through so many forums about harv and marv's whale watching. sounds exciting. Trying to plan juneau here in mid september

I've read so much on here and through tour operators's websites and it seems like most bear tours end by end of august. The ones going into september are at a protected area or something where you can view from a platform, for several hundred bucks. Doesn't seem feasible if I can't go to the bears and chill with them one on one or whatever. Ya know, shake a paw, say hello, pet the bear, all that kind of good stuff.

Anyone know where can hang with the bears? Instead of from a platform at a conservatory type of place or whatever it's called. and in Mid-September. Or do the bears run away to Idaho that time of year..

thanks for any help

If you are serious, sorry, it does not exist.

All the bear tours, have you in limited areas, with platform viewing, common.

IF you want to go on your own, then head up to Denali park and do some extensive hiking.

After spending 2 summers in Alaska 3 cruises and a month on Kodiak. Don't count on seeing bears in the wild . In Sept they eat everything to fatten up for the winter good luck. Denali is as good as any.

After spending 2 summers in Alaska 3 cruises and a month on Kodiak. Don't count on seeing bears in the wild . In Sept they eat everything to fatten up for the winter good luck. Denali is as good as any.

We saw bears in the wild on our Alaska cruise in early June, so you can see bears in the wild. We saw one off the side of the road during our Chilkoot Charters bus tour to Carcross just past the suspension bridge and as we were leaving Carcross, we saw a mother and her cub. We were close to these bears and I have some great photos of them. On our July 2010 cruise, we did not see any bears. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

May,June,and July are the best months to see bears .Sept is iffy. Denali is great in the early months. Saw two bears chasing a moose and her calf but that was the end of May around the time when the babys are born. You never can tell they are there and you might be lucky. We drove from Texas to Seward,Alaska 4050 miles in april and never saw one while folks a day behind us saw 4.:rolleyes: I've heard you can see them from the ship.

if I can't go to the bears and chill with them one on one or whatever. Ya know, shake a paw, say hello, pet the bear, all that kind of good stuff.

The last guy who tried that up here said he liked singing to them. Apparently they were not impressed as they ate him-and his girlfriend.

I presume you are not serious because no one will readily lead you into a bear situation like that.

Bears are around in September, but you will not see them because they do not like humans and would rather not "chill" with you.

May,June,and July are the best months to see bears .Sept is iffy. Denali is great in the early months. Saw two bears chasing a moose and her calf but that was the end of May around the time when the babys are born. You never can tell they are there and you might be lucky. We drove from Texas to Seward,Alaska 4050 miles in april and never saw one while folks a day behind us saw 4.:rolleyes: I've heard you can see them from the ship.

Bears are easily seen in Denali in August and Sept as well. Many inside passage tours are peak August into Sept. Earliest tours are earlier July from Ketchikan.

The above information is not accurate.

Bears are easily seen in Denali in August and Sept as well. Many inside passage tours are peak August into Sept. Earliest tours are earlier July from Ketchikan.

The above information is not accurate.

As Budget Queen said, sugy's info is inaccurate. Bears can easily be seen in Denali and other places in August and September. Brooks Camp in Katmai NP is also another excellent place to see bears in September. The Katmai coast is yet another location. I saw bears on the Kodiak road system more than once in mid to late August. Plenty of places to see bears later in the summer.

Jt's wonderful ya'll had better luck than We did. Hopefully Funcruiser will have your luck. Anything to do with Alaska is well worth the trip no matter when you go. Let us know when you get back.

We are booked to go to the Fortress of the Bear on the 26th in Sitka. I understand this is a preserve but with bears hibernation habits, will we get to see bears or should I rethink this excursion?

We booked with Rust's Flying out of Anchorage for a day trip. Yes, expensive, but hope it will be worth it in the end. This is one of those vacations we want to remember always. Bears was something we wanted to see, so I will scimp on something else to make this excurision possible.

Hi

go to Fortress of the bears. it cheap under $20.00. You can catch a bus at dock you pay 3.00 roundtrip to the bears and it a tax free payment I forget how much $6.00 maybe. you can look down and watch the bears. I spend over a hour there. You cannot touch the bears. If you want to go out and find a bear If he attacks you that bear will be killed. Bears are wild. Also on the tour you can visit the rapture center where they bring injured eagles.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so I've read through so many forums about harv and marv's whale watching. sounds exciting. Trying to plan juneau here in mid september

I've read so much on here and through tour operators's websites and it seems like most bear tours end by end of august. The ones going into september are at a protected area or something where you can view from a platform, for several hundred bucks. Doesn't seem feasible if I can't go to the bears and chill with them one on one or whatever. Ya know, shake a paw, say hello, pet the bear, all that kind of good stuff.

Anyone know where can hang with the bears? Instead of from a platform at a conservatory type of place or whatever it's called. and in Mid-September. Or do the bears run away to Idaho that time of year..

thanks for any help

We saw many bears in September 2009 with Misty Lodge in Icy Straits, had a great drive that was part of the tribe and they could go all over the island that the tour buses could not, would highly recommend them and we are headed back next year to Alaska and will book with them again.

We saw many bears in September 2009 with Misty Lodge in Icy Straits, had a great drive that was part of the tribe and they could go all over the island that the tour buses could not, would highly recommend them and we are headed back next year to Alaska and will book with them again.

What tour did you do with Misty Lodge, the van bear viewing or the Port Fredrick Tour, or the Whale watching.

Thanks,

Bill

I did both a whale watch (in the morning) and then a bear search in the afternoon with Misty Bay Lodge last August. It was wonderful! We were so fortunate, saw a ton of whales, up close and personal - breaching, bubblenet feeding, tails, humps, and even spy hopping. Capt. Dan was great - told us all about the area and really knew where to find the whales. The bear search was just as productive - watched a young brown bear for about 45 minutes feeding on salmon in the stream right beneath the bridge we were standing on. At one point, he seemed very interested in us, and was walking towards the side of the stream as though he would climb up the bank. That is when I saw our guide slowly slip his rifle off his shoulder (and when I whispered "Is this where we should get back into the van?:eek:). But no, the guide calmly talked to the bear in a stern voice, and he turned back into the stream to continue fishing. Phew! After that, I spotted a big old brownie munching his way thru a berry patch on a hillside right off the side of the road. We quickly pulled over, got out and watched him eating away, paying us no mind for about 45 more minutes. It was thrilling! Would highly recommend Misty Bay Lodge - Hope and Capt. Dan were wonderful to deal with and really provided an excellent tour. Have lunch at their cafe - delicious sandwiches and soups!

I did both a whale watch (in the morning) and then a bear search in the afternoon with Misty Bay Lodge last August. It was wonderful! We were so fortunate, saw a ton of whales, up close and personal - breaching, bubblenet feeding, tails, humps, and even spy hopping. Capt. Dan was great - told us all about the area and really knew where to find the whales. The bear search was just as productive - watched a young brown bear for about 45 minutes feeding on salmon in the stream right beneath the bridge we were standing on. At one point, he seemed very interested in us, and was walking towards the side of the stream as though he would climb up the bank. That is when I saw our guide slowly slip his rifle off his shoulder (and when I whispered "Is this where we should get back into the van?:eek:). But no, the guide calmly talked to the bear in a stern voice, and he turned back into the stream to continue fishing. Phew! After that, I spotted a big old brownie munching his way thru a berry patch on a hillside right off the side of the road. We quickly pulled over, got out and watched him eating away, paying us no mind for about 45 more minutes. It was thrilling! Would highly recommend Misty Bay Lodge - Hope and Capt. Dan were wonderful to deal with and really provided an excellent tour. Have lunch at their cafe - delicious sandwiches and soups!

The only tour we could do the day was the bear viewing,we booked it. Thanks!!

Bill

Check out the tour offered through Princess during your port call in Juneau. It is called, Whales, Bears and Glaciers. It has a whale watch that goes over to Chichagof Island where you go with bear guides to search for the brown bears. You fly back and view the Juneau Icefield. Pretty good tour. The tour # with Princess is 875.

Archived