Another perspective on travel agents

Bridge Maven

What is Carnival's new policy that is being referred to in this thread?

T/A's will no longer be allowed to offer any rewards back to customers from their commission over $25.

It is not good news for most agents. Although it levels the playing field, many think it will encourage people to just deal directly with the cruise line. It takes a huge incentive away from the agents.

Nobody is willing to spend the time shopping for a cruise like you. With all the online info available including Cruisecritic, you can spend time comparing and finding a cruise package or any trip package that works for you. I use the Internet to read reviews, shop prices, and book. That includes all items involved with travel. I also use sites that monitor changes in prices. Using them has saved me a lot of money on my next cruise, I saved almost $500pp for airline tickets rt to Italy. Most recently, I took a land trip through New England. I used tripadvisor to find fabulous places to stay, eat, and visit. I also used google and mapquest to plan my route. It couldn,t have been better. There is a lot of helpful info online. Spend the time, research the ports, shop the cruise fares, and enjoy. Of course TAs will help you book. If you don,t have time to research, then TAs are a great advantage.

You are correct in this internet age there is unlimited data sources to assist you in travel.

That said, many people don't have the time,desire nor computer skill set to research all these options.

Over the years, I typically do my own internet searchs.

And then, book with the cruise line and turn it over to my on-line TA.

I've experienced excellent service from my on-line TA.

I'm adamantly opposed to Carnival's new TA policy.

If Carnival would couple their new policy with a guarantee to lower their prices if you book directly, then that might be appealing.

However,the policy as it is written only benefits Carnival.

TAs lose and Cruisers...Lose !

Carnival boosts it's bottom line by cutting out commissions to TAs.

Carnival...Winning !

Nobody is willing to spend the time shopping for a cruise like you. With all the online info available including Cruisecritic, you can spend time comparing and finding a cruise package or any trip package that works for you. I use the Internet to read reviews, shop prices, and book. That includes all items involved with travel. I also use sites that monitor changes in prices. Using them has saved me a lot of money on my next cruise, I saved almost $500pp for airline tickets rt to Italy. Most recently, I took a land trip through New England. I used tripadvisor to find fabulous places to stay, eat, and visit. I also used google and mapquest to plan my route. It couldn,t have been better. There is a lot of helpful info online. Spend the time, research the ports, shop the cruise fares, and enjoy. Of course TAs will help you book. If you don,t have time to research, then TAs are a great advantage.

You aren't your own best TA for a cruise if you book yourself directly with a cruise line rather than use a TA that rebates a portion of their commission to you.

You are correct in this internet age there is unlimited data sources to assist you in travel.

Unlimited data without context or perspective is not always a boon to everyone. Like financial data it's only useful if it's applied to your own situation. I use both a financial planner and a TA but to each their own.

A TA not only provides OBC, etc. but also is there in case of an emergency, problems with documents, problems with cancellations, all sorts of problems. I would never book over the internet, not knowing if I have an issue no one is there to help me. Lesson learned the hard way.

Archived