HELP! Floatplane in Juneau or Ketchikan?

Lispee

We are heading on a 7 day Glacier Bay cruise on September 15th, 2012. We are currently set to do a 5 Glacier Floatplane in Jueau, and the Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition in Ketchikan.

There is also the Misty Fjords Floatplane in Ketchikan.

Has anyone been on both floatplane trips, and if so, which was more spectacular?

Also, has anyone been on the Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition in Ketchikan? If so, what did you think? Is September too late for bears?

Thank you in advance for your advice and wisdom :D

I've done the Misty Fjords flight with Michelle at Island Wings in Ketchican and it was very nice. What I remember as being much more spectacular was a glacier flight years ago out of Juneau. Not sure where we really went but I found the scenery breathtaking. I've also done the Taku Lodge flight and a helicopter glacier landing out of Juneau but neither measured up to that first flight.

I think I'd go with the 5 glacier trip from Juneau.

Your Ketchikan "bear" tour which is a drive up, does NOT have good sighting stats. Most "tours" do not see any bears. IF bears are a priority, then the fly ins are significantly superior. Your timeframe, can be off peak however.

Both floatplane trips are excellent. IF you are interested in glaciers, go out of Juneau, no glaciers on the regular Misty flights.

BUT, schedule this where it fits your overall time best, making good use of the limited port times, and your interests.

Archived