Chair Hogs: Norwegian's Blue Dots

This little story says just how bad it was on the Jade.

On the second to last Sea Day (when I had swiped the chair from the banana peel and half a towel) I laid there listening to two ladies whi walked up. They exclaimed they had come out very early to "reserve" four chairs, but now they had no idea which ones they were. They all looked the same with only a towel on them and they couldn't remember the location. I just laid there completely miffed.

We were on the Star last week and saw no blue dots, yelow dots or any other colored dots on chairs. There were absolutely no chairs to be gotten at all. On the port days in the afternoon when we came back from our days activities in Bermuda, we did find chairs and the pool was much less crowded.

If NCL doesn't take the "dot" seriously, then why would they expect their passengers to take them seriously.

There should be a sign or signs outlining the "dot" program. It should state that there will be attendants putting timed "dots" on chairs that are left unattended and if no one returns without a half hour, the NCL personal belongings will be removed and placed somewhere. They should also have an additional flyer in each room upon embarkation letting the passengers know about this. And then, and most importantly, NCL has to have an attendant at the pool that will follow through with the program....they will not let some passengers slide, because of tips, begging, etc. The "dot" program will only work, if NCL makes it work.

It is very frustrating to look for a chair and not having any available, even though over half of them do not have a person in it, only their belongings (i've seen towels, shoes, books, kindles, etc.).

EXCELLENT! They should send you a commission because you just gave NCL the perfect working solution to the chog problem. :)

I never understand why this is an issue when it can be managed easily. Put up the signs and post the policy. Then, enforce it. We recently stayed at the Wynn is Las Vegas and they did a wonderful job with this. They had a few boys managing the pool area. They kept the chairs straight, in nice lines, making sure people didn't block paths, etc. They also removed towels from chairs not being used and if someone came into the pool area and couldn't find a chair, they were even more aggressive about freeing up chairs asking if a chair was being utilized, have you seen anyone sitting in it recently,etc. They did it all with a smile and finding a chair was no longer a hassle.

This little story says just how bad it was on the Jade.

On the second to last Sea Day (when I had swiped the chair from the banana peel and half a towel) I laid there listening to two ladies whi walked up. They exclaimed they had come out very early to "reserve" four chairs, but now they had no idea which ones they were. They all looked the same with only a towel on them and they couldn't remember the location. I just laid there completely miffed.

You didn't ask them if they were missing a banana peel?

;)

Hi all,

I'm writing a blog post for next week about what cruise lines are doing to combat chair-hogging onboard. One line of particular note is Norwegian, which has reportedly been using blue dots to track how long chairs are left unattended.

To all of you Norwegian cruisers out there, I need your help: Have you noticed this happening, and is the system working?

Thanks for your thoughts. (You may just see them included in the blog!)

Just read on USA Today that Carnival is following NCL with a policy on chair hogs. You can read the article here:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/07/carnival-cruise-ship-seat-saving/815349/1

Aloha

. Honestly, I am a laid back cruiser, but chair hogs drive me nuts. Again, I don't think I have ever seen it as bad as I did on this cruise.

That you are and it would have driven me nuts too. It was bad enough when there was no 'dot' policy, now that they have this going, they need to enforce the darn thing.

It saddens me how absolutely rude people can be.

I hope NCL people are reading through this thread.....

If they could make this work it would be HUGE .

It is such problem and if NCL put half as much effort into the Blue Dot program as they do with bringing booze on board it would run like a Swiss watch ;)

That Fat Guy on Carnival Breeze that posts to his blog has posted pictures from the Breeze experiment with putting stickers with times and posted signs with a 40 minute policy. After 40 minutes pick up your stuff at the towel hut.

Says it is an experiment before going fleet wide.

I wonder like the last cruise one women with 14 chairs being saved with various items on them and one person from the party, the "guard" present. Is NCL or any cruise line going to sticker them and then remove all the items from 13 of the 14 chairs while the posted "guard" is there?

Don't think so, the "guard" would put up a racket.

Too bad the Star does not have a Haven...

On our RCI cruise this past June I set up our towels early in the morning. I returned in less than 30 minutes with a book to settle in for the day and my towels were gone :(. There really are people who like sitting by the pool early! I am sure to someone else they may have thought I was saving them for much later. The staff had removed them, but would not own up to it when I asked about it. I would rather have had a blue dot instead.

On our RCI cruise this past June I set up our towels early in the morning. I returned in less than 30 minutes with a book to settle in for the day and my towels were gone :(. There really are people who like sitting by the pool early! I am sure to someone else they may have thought I was saving them for much later. The staff had removed them, but would not own up to it when I asked about it. I would rather have had a blue dot instead.

I understand your point but if you had intended to come back in less than 30 minutes, why would you not have just carried your book and towels at the same time and settled in?

I also am an early morning deck sitter (I really don't like the crowds in the afternoon). But I just grab everything I need and head to a lounger.

That's exactly the point! Bring your towels and yourself when you are ready to sit by the pool, not before.

I think the staff did the right thing in removing your towels. I would also be in favor of the blue dot program.

It's about time something has be done we all pay for the priviledge of sitting by the pool not just the hogs. I agree signs should be put up along with the dots so when the screaming memes start up just hold up the hand & point to the sign. Speak to the hand!

I understand your point but if you had intended to come back in less than 30 minutes, why would you not have just carried your book and towels at the same time and settled in?

I also am an early morning deck sitter (I really don't like the crowds in the afternoon). But I just grab everything I need and head to a lounger.

Because he had to go get some breakfast first. ;)

John

Here's a thought:

Divide the deck in half. One half is for the "Chair Hogs" where they can "OINK" "OINK" it out among themselves. The other half of the deck is reserved for the "considerate of other passengers".

To enforce this, there will be two pool deck stations, One pool deck station for the "Chair-Hogs", and one pool deck station for the "considerate of other passengers". The chair hogs will be directed to their own "through" to retrieve laminated cards with the image of a hog. The laminated cards must be worn visibly at all times and throughout the entire cruise at every event and at every venue, including on shore excursions.

The "considerate of other passengers", after being greeted by the crew at the second pool deck station, can now enjoy their cruise, in the sun, by the pool, in a chair, on their side of the deck. Hopefully, the "OINK-OINK" coming from the other side of the deck will not interfere too much...:cool:

We were on The Jade last month and they were tagging chairs. It was very effective, although people still ran up first thing in the morning and tried to claim their chairs. They were some angry when they came back hours ( as many as four hours later) and found their spots gone along with their stuff.

They had a couple of crew members who went and put orange tags on the chairs. They marked the time they put them on and it said if the chair was not in use 30 minutes later it would be freed up. They were very good at following the time line. It was also a great way to get a chair because you just had to follow the tagging guy and take a chair when he cleared the stuff away. They put towels back at the exchange and personal items were taken to the reception desk and you could claim them from there.

I hope this is something they keep with. It is very frustrating to those who play fair to not be able to go sit in the sun and enjoy your book and a drink for a bit!

Put me in the column of being in favor of this policy getting enforced fleet wide. I hope it is by the time we take our Dawn cruise!

no such luck on the dawn.....got the cold shoulder when asking for assistance.....no dots in sight as of yesterday

This is not encouraging news.:(

Just got off the Gem this morning and unfortunately, no blue dots in sight.

I had an argument with a guy who put 10 towels on 10 chairs at 6 am (so he says) and never went back to the chairs until 10. They had 4 adults in their party and he flipped out because I took ONE chair for my party if 5!!!

I will say that I noticed a few families looking for chairs. When they asked a deck hand for assistance, he just walked up to 2 chairs that had no personal belongings on it and took the towels off and gave them the chairs.

Just got off the Gem this morning and unfortunately, no blue dots in sight.

I had an argument with a guy who put 10 towels on 10 chairs at 6 am (so he says) and never went back to the chairs until 10. They had 4 adults in their party and he flipped out because I took ONE chair for my party if 5!!!

I will say that I noticed a few families looking for chairs. When they asked a deck hand for assistance, he just walked up to 2 chairs that had no personal belongings on it and took the towels off and gave them the chairs.

That is amazingly boorish behavior and you wonder how somebody can feel justified in doing this. That said, if NCL just posted a few attendants between 6-9 AM enforcing a policy of one chair per person and you are expected to actually sit there not throw on towels and leave, I have to believe that this would reduce most of the abuse.

The worst part about chair hogs? they don't think they do anything wrong. The honestly think that they are entitled to "claim" a chair and then leave for 4 hours leaving some poor person who wants to use a chair NOW with nothing. I really hope NCL continues to enforce this and on ALL ships!!

NCL OFFICIAL CHAIR HOG POLICY

1st Offense: Piglet – Verbal Warning

2nd Offense: Pig - Official Written Warning

3rd Offense: Feral Pig– ½ Ban from Lido Deck

4th Offense: Wild Boar – Full Day Ban from Lido Deck

5th Offense: Confirmed Chair Hog – Tossed into the Brig for one night

6th Offense: Bacon – Chopped into pieces and served at the buffet

Archived