Eclipse Dance Floors

LenRye

We have booked a cruise for next year on Eclipse, we've never been on Soltice class and was hoping to do some ballroom dancing.

Can anyone tell us roughly the size of any dance floors please.

Len

We have booked a cruise for next year on Eclipse, we've never been on Soltice class and was hoping to do some ballroom dancing.

Len

Sorry to disappoint you but there's less space for ballroom dancing on the S-class ships than there is on the M-class ships.

The Sky Observation lounge has a rather largish round dance floor, and they'll have dance bands there, but most of them will not be ballroom dancing. They'll sometimes play recorded ballroom music there.

The Eclipse, like all the S-class ships, are beautifully contemporary but alas seem to be designed for those who don't ballroom dance.

Len

I can do better than that, Len, I can show you some pictures. lol We haven't been on the Eclipse, but we've been on both the Equinox and the Solstice and we did as much dancing as possible.

On both ships, there was "Ballroom Dancing Hour" every night before dinner in the Grand Foyer. It was very small and really suitable only for Latin or Swing (although we did manage to squeeze in a few Tangos and Waltzs, lol)

2724411930028318781S500x500Q85.jpg

A few nights during the cruise, they had Ballroom dancing in the Sky Observation Lounge which was larger but still not really suitable for a good International Foxtrot.

2591911090028318781S500x500Q85.jpg

Still, it was better than no dancing at all and most nights, we had the floor to ourselves.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

What's missing in the Grand Foyer picture? People cutting across the 'dance floor' to get to the other side. :eek:

There is a bar on one side with a seating area and then another seating area and Guest Relations on the other side. It is past ridiculous how people can't figure out that there is music, bodies a-swaying and maybe, just maybe..hmmmm, I should walk around the looong way. :rolleyes:

I can do better than that, Len, I can show you some pictures. lol We haven't been on the Eclipse, but we've been on both the Equinox and the Solstice and we did as much dancing as possible.

On both ships, there was "Ballroom Dancing Hour" every night before dinner in the Grand Foyer. It was very small and really suitable only for Latin or Swing (although we did manage to squeeze in a few Tangos and Waltzs, lol)

A few nights during the cruise, they had Ballroom dancing in the Sky Observation Lounge which was larger but still not really suitable for a good International Foxtrot.

Still, it was better than no dancing at all and most nights, we had the floor to ourselves.

Thanks for the info, the Sky Lounge doesn't look to small if there aren't too many people around. Have tried the dance floor icon5.gif in the Foyer on other ships but, lets just say, you are a bit restricted.

Hopefully might get a few steps in somewhere even if its only our balcony icon7.gif

We were on Solstice last year and were disappointed with the ballroom dance opportunities compared with Princess.

The central lobby floor was a joke once you had 5 couples on it and people walking past from the staircase or crossing the floor to get to the bar.

The Sky lounge was better and with the live band they soon played music we could Cha Cha or Rumba to. Get there early though because it gets packed once second sitting finishes. then it becomes more of a night club floor.

Yes, it's true that there is a problem with people walking across the dance floor and also coming down the stairs on to the dance floor. It was unbelievable how many people gave US filthy looks because we were in THEIR way while we were trying to dance. This in spite of the fact that it was advertised as "Ballroom Dancing Hour" in the dailies every day and there was a DJ there specifically to play music for us.

What was really nice though, was the applause that we got from the people who were watching us dance. During the cruise, we had people coming up to us all over the ship and even in port to compliment us on our dancing and to say that they came every night to watch us. By the time we got home, we were joking that we felt like "Dance Gods". lol Of course, that only lasted until our first lesson when our pro burst our egos yelling at us for the 220 things we were doing wrong. LOL

My point ... there were a lot of really rude people but there were a lot of really nice, complimentary people as well.

Thanks for the info, the Sky Lounge doesn't look to small if there aren't too many people around. Have tried the dance floor icon5.gif in the Foyer on other ships but, lets just say, you are a bit restricted.

Hopefully might get a few steps in somewhere even if its only our balcony icon7.gif

We never had more than four couples on the floor in the Sky Lounge so we did enjoy dancing there; however, I think they only had dancing on two nights of a 7 day cruise.

Agree with Esprit. Dancing is much better on Princess ships.

As you can see from the pictures, the S Class dance floors are marble, not wood. Celebrity really "missed the boat" in designing the S Class ships. The M Class has better floors, and better opportunity.

Even including the big ballrooms on Cunard (which are wonderful), we've found the best dancing is on the Island Princes (assume Coral is the same), with four larger wooden dance floors, and plenty of live music to dance to all night.

Bruce

Having said all that, we'll be on the Reflection this fall. :D

Celebrity really "missed the boat" in designing the S Class ships. The M Class has better floors, and better opportunity.

The S-class are beautiful ships but I will never forgive the past president/management for ignoring this aspect of life at sea. However the itineraries of the M-class that I love do not correspond to the places I wish to visit. Oh I will hate every day that we're on board Equinox and Silhouette and Eclipse and Reflection .... :rolleyes:

Agree with Esprit. Dancing is much better on Princess ships.

Even including the big ballrooms on Cunard (which are wonderful), we've found the best dancing is on the Island Princes (assume Coral is the same), with four larger wooden dance floors, and plenty of live music to dance to all night. :D

Thanks for the tip about Princess, Bruce.

On our QM2 TA in May they held a tea dance in the Queen's Room. Cunard combined the daily afternoon tea (served by white-gloved attendants) with ballroom dance music by the 7-piece band and vocalist. It was wonderful.

We keep going back to Equinox just to check on how much she drives us crazy!!

And then there is the issue of no shuffleboard on S-Class ships. Surely, there could be a paint-on stencil or carpet roll-out as an after market add-on? Hmmm...... anybody listening out there?

The S-class are beautiful ships but I will never forgive the past president/management for ignoring this aspect of life at sea. However the itineraries of the M-class that I love do not correspond to the places I wish to visit. Oh I will hate every day that we're on board Equinox and Silhouette and Eclipse and Reflection .... :rolleyes:

Just maybe the future looks brighter:

When Celebrity Reflection - the fifth in Celebrity's award-winning Solstice Class fleet - sets sail in October of this year, the ship will feature an entirely new, multi-functional space that can serve as a spacious ballroom or conference area, or be divided into smaller banquet or classroom settings, depending on each individual group's needs.

The expanded 2,853-square-foot space on deck four can comfortably accommodate 220 guests in the ballroom

This would be like a multi-purpose room - shuffleboard by day and a ballroom dancing venue by night. Maybe on Monday mornings, the room can be transformed into a self-service laundromat since the S-Class is missing clotheslines in their shower stalls.:rolleyes:

Golly, what Celebrity really needs is a new contest....CEO for a day!:D

Look at all these wonderful ideas brewing!

Just maybe the future looks brighter:

If the balcony work for you,surely the Grand Foyer is big enough:D

• 5 months later...
Sorry to disappoint you but there's less space for ballroom dancing on the S-class ships than there is on the M-class ships.

The Sky Observation lounge has a rather largish round dance floor, and they'll have dance bands there, but most of them will not be ballroom dancing. They'll sometimes play recorded ballroom music there.

The Eclipse, like all the S-class ships, are beautifully contemporary but alas seem to be designed for those who don't ballroom dance.

... No Ballroom?

We would like to dance aboard the Eclipse too. Might have to be happy with spot dances, like Rumba and East Coast Swing and Merenge. Watch out during Fox Trot, Waltz and Tango - Oh, the Tango.

Have Fun & Happy 2013

Archived