Locks on suitcases?

wait4me

It's been a very very very very long time since I've traveled. After getting luggage inspected at the airport do people lock up their suitcases? What about before we give the suitcases to Princess?

Thank you

There are now TSA-approved locks which can be used on suitcases. As in the old days, you can put these on after you pack. TSA has a key which can open them if they want to inspect the luggage. These seem to be available in a number of stores now.

Hi Waitforme ...

Yes, you can use your old locks and lock up your bags after inspection. That is of course, if you're flying ATN. ATN inspects your bags right in line while you're at the counter. (Just as you enter the line, actually.) Anyway, that's how it was last time. Hope it's the same since it was such a breeze.

See you on board at Sunday's party. :D

R.

I presume when you are flying back into LA, you can't lock your suitcases?

I have taken to use cable ties instead of locks. I keep a supply in a zipper pocket on the outside of one of the suitcases, and a nail clipper (without a nailfile attached!!) too. After inspection, I just slip a cable tie onto each bag, making sure to leave a little room for clipping them off, and then I clip off the excess length.

• 1 month later...

We used TSA locks and the suitcases were fine all day at PPT and when we left them. Somewhere in handling either at PPT or during our connection at LAX one was opened or busted open. This was an unfortunate casualty, but I do suggest these locks if you are worried about leaving your suitcases at PPT all day.

You also use the cable ties. So many people have "keys" to luggage locks. We use colored cable ties. Just a discouragement, but it has worked for us so far. Makes us feel better when we hand our luggage over at the pier and when we plus it in the public hallways at the end.

We went and bought the special TSA locks before our last cruise out of San Juan in April. We flew US Airways non-stop from Philly and they said that they will cut even the TSA locks off and advised us to take them off at check-in. We left them on thinking the gate agent must not know what they are talking about becuase we bought the special TSA locks.

Well, instead of cutting our lock they actually cut the circle hole that you put the lock through on the zipper. So now we can't lock our bags at all. They ruined our suitcase!! Us Airways said it is our fault for having ANY lock on our bag and they aren't responsible.

Archived