Steakhouse and an almost 2yo

mandakate42

It is a matter of common courtesy. i know you think your kids are special, but not everyone else does.

I think this is where the problem lies. Some parents have blinders on and think the kid is cute when it's not. Maybe in a different restaurant it would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ signed The Awesome Gailerina

popcorn.gif

But...I will put my popcorn down for just a moment and say that if I was paying extra for a nice meal in the steakhouse? And it was ruined by a misbehaving child? I would be seriously bummed.

I certainly do NOT begrudge other cruisers with kids the right to give it a try and see if their child can make it through the dinner - and yes, it is a long process at the steakhouse - that's part of the appeal! -- I think the breaking point is what has already been mentioned -- if the child is being loud and ill-behaved (or is just tired and cranky, bless their heart) and one of the parents does not remove said child? Shame on them. It's the same as the parents who do absolutely nothing to stop their child from kicking my seat on an airplane. "He's just a child." NO, sorry to correct you, but he/she is not "just a child" -- it's YOUR child.

When my son was 10 months old, he was a smiling, happy baby. At 2.5 he was the poster child for birth control.

That is funny. :D Wrong, but funny. (And for anyone that is wondering, I have a 19 month old daughter who I love more than anything. Most of the time she is sweet and pleasant, but she has her moments. Every child has their moments!)

You have every right to take you 2 yo child to a 2 hour long dining experience.

Just let me know when you're going to do it so I can avoid going at the same time...

I agree with this. I dont wan to hear noisy kids OR adults. but really? crayons and coloring books? this is not McDonalds.

Sorry, but I agree with the first part of this post. If people have the right to bring children into a specialty restaurant,(which I'm not disputing), then I have the same right to request to not be seated next to them. In most restaurants, it's not difficult to see if a table has children and to request not sitting there before you actually are seated, so nobody should have hurt feelings.

I agree with this. And if I were the parent with a toddler and somebody didnt want to sit close to us....I have no problem at all with this and actually would appreciate that they would ask to be moved rather than sit and stare or make rude comments if the child disturbed them in anyway.

When my son was 10 months old, he was a smiling, happy baby. At 2.5 he was the poster child for birth control.

That is funny. :D Wrong, but funny. (And for anyone that is wondering, I have a 19 month old daughter who I love more than anything. Most of the time she is sweet and pleasant, but she has her moments. Every child has their moments!)

Yeah well my son had a lot of moments:) He was insane. The good news is he's approaching 14 and is a *good kid with a few "moments" here and there. I could bring him to a steakhouse and not worry that he will flip out.

Yeah well my son had a lot of moments:) He was insane. The good news is he's approaching 14 and is a *good kid with a few "moments" here and there. I could bring him to a steakhouse and not worry that he will flip out.

Good to hear. I guess I am HOPING Mine is going through a stage right now. She can be defiant at times, but loving and sweet other times. And she is very verbal for her age, so she is basically like a 2 year old now. It can be difficult to reason with a small toddler. We used to take her out to dinner with us frequently. Now we do sometimes, but more often we send her with grandma/grandpa. It makes us all happier.

Also, as to those commenting about moving away from a toddler, as long as you were discrete and not rude about it (i.e. loudly saying something like "Don't you have another table, the nerve of some people to bring a BABY out in public"), I would not have an issue with it. Actually I kind of prefer it. I don't want to disturb anyone's dinner and if you are hoping to dine in a library, I don't want my little one's occasional giggle or talking to bother you. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by mandakate42 viewpost.gif

I planned on taking her iPod touch and her brothers iPad, then coloring books and crayons.... hopefully that will keep her busy

thanks for your replies

Really? The toddler has an iPod touch and the 8yo has an iPad? I don't have either. My parents are mean!

I used to eat out ALOT, several times a week. Now that I have kids, not so much. Number of times crazy kid have soured a meal? Maybe twice.

Crazy adults? Atleast five times that I can think of, drunks cackling and thinking they are hilarious. Can we get rid of them too?

OMG I do wish you think this through. The steakhouse is an elegant dining experience. Please take your children to Camp Carnival or leave them at home with their grandparents. The whole meal centers around taking your time and enjoying your food. NO CHILDREN PLEASE. Why do I want to pay $35 per person to sit around children playing on an ipod, watching videos and eating mac and cheese. Come on people,,,there are just some places that should be for Adults Only. And, nothing is wrong with that. We need time by ourselves also. The steakhouse is a small restaurant and set up for adults. Have consideration for others trying to enjoy their special night out.

OMG I do wish you think this through. The steakhouse is an elegant dining experience. Please take your children to Camp Carnival or leave them at home with their grandparents. The whole meal centers around taking your time and enjoying your food. NO CHILDREN PLEASE. Why do I want to pay $35 per person to sit around children playing on an ipod, watching videos and eating mac and cheese. Come on people,,,there are just some places that should be for Adults Only. And, nothing is wrong with that. We need time by ourselves also. The steakhouse is a small restaurant and set up for adults. Have consideration for others trying to enjoy their special night out.

Should you not want a dining experience with children, I suggest it is you that avoid the Steakhouse. It is no longer a Supper Club. Children are welcome, and it's never been adult only. Ever.

I would not even drop my kid off in a camp at any hour, and certainly NEVER at mealtime, especially when the steakhouse is where the good food is now.

Our kids are older now but we always took them with us for dinner. Our kids were used to going out and were relativly well mannered but I would of never brought them to the Steakhouse to respect the other guest. There are some places it is better to leave them with a sitter,. This is one. A 2-3 hour dinning experience is not kid friendly and it unfair to expect a 2 year old to add to the enjoyment of the parents and the other guest.

Maybe it comes down to if the parents have any class or not.

I just returned from the Miracle, ate in the Steakhouse twice.

The question is, can your child sit still, in their chair, absolutely no running around, for two hours?

First night, there were parents there with two young children, which they completely ignored and whom were alowed to run around by themselves without being checked at all. Oldest was about 5, younger was about 3 (the younger boy was by far the worst offender). This is a hazard to both the child and the servers; I had visions of hot coffee ending up on his head (note: I am not saying I wanted this to happen, just that it too easily could have happened).

The second time we went, there was a family with a girl who seemed no more than 3. She sat there the entire two hour period, was well behaved, and seemed to self-amuse herself with some kind of tablet device. She was exceptional.

Of course, it might not be realistic to expect most small children to sit still for two hours. And if that's the case, then it is not realistic to put that poor child in a situation where they can only fail. They will not enjoy their meal, the servers won't enjoy serving you, and your fellow guests will not thank you either.

If you are like the second set of parents in this equation, this makes sense to you. If you are like the first, you don't care what my oppinion is anyway.

I don't think the real problem is a 2yr old being in the steakhouse as much as how the parent's will respond to the child if it gets cranky. I would have no problem sitting next to a table with a young child as long as they were well behaved and the parents were responsible enough to take action if they were not. In addition, if a neighboring table had a child using an i-pad (in mute) or colorbook and crayons, I say, more power to the parent who pre-plans to keep their child occupied.

As a parent, though, I would ask myself the following questions, before making the decision to bring the toddler:

Am I willing to get up mid-meal to temporarily remove a crying toddler from the immediate area ?

Am I willing to have my $35 meal boxed-up and taken to go if my child can not be consoled and calmed down?

If I could honestly answer yes to the above questions than I would bring them. If not, then pehaps the experience may not be the enjoyable one that you had planned to celebrate.

:):)

I don't think the real problem is a 2yr old being in the steakhouse as much as how the parent's will respond to the child if it gets cranky. I would have no problem sitting next to a table with a young child as long as they were well behaved and the parents were responsible enough to take action if they were not. In addition, if a neighboring table had a child using an i-pad (in mute) or colorbook and crayons, I say, more power to the parent who pre-plans to keep their child occupied.

As a parent, though, I would ask myself the following questions, before making the decision to bring the toddler:

Am I willing to get up mid-meal to temporarily remove a crying toddler from the immediate area ?

Am I willing to have my $35 meal boxed-up and taken to go if my child can not be consoled and calmed down?

If I could honestly answer yes to the above questions than I would bring them. If not, then pehaps the experience may not be the enjoyable one that you had planned to celebrate.

:):)

These are the same decisions we make on land when we choose to "go out".

On board is no different.

Bottom line, you have the right to do what you want.

And I wouldn't care less if some old fart starts giving you and the family the ol' stink eye...

However, I would hope you are willing to forgo the rest of your dinner if things really start to go pear-shaped, for the sake of the other diners (and for the little one), you would take the him (her?) out, if warranted.

Bottom line, you have the right to do what you want.

And I wouldn't care less if some old fart starts giving you and the family the ol' stink eye...

However, I would hope you are willing to forgo the rest of your dinner if things really start to go pear-shaped, for the sake of the other diners (and for the little one), you would take the him (her?) out, if warranted.

Way to commit...

Archived