Venice Hotels

PSDottie

I am looking for a moderately (?) priced hotel in Venice for 3 nights. Hopefully we can get a shared water taxi or if not use a water bus to landing near a hotel. I do not want to lug suitcases over bridges as I've been reading is a common thing in Venice. Any suggestions?

I don't know what you consider 'moderate' so you'll need to check the prices. Venice is pricey.

A convenient area to stay pre or post cruise is Piazzale Roma. This is the end of the road for all land vehicles so it's where taxis/buses pick up and drop off. Two hotels require NO bridge crossings; CaDoge and Santa Chiara. There are a few others that only require one bridge crossing; Best Western Olimpia, Papadopoli are two I can think of. Try this link for others. (inquire if you need elevators or AC).

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Otherwise look for a hotel with a dock so that you can take a water taxi. Or a hotel near an Alilaguna stop which is a reasonable fare.

Someone posted a great suggestion recently; leave extra suitcases at the Left Luggage facility in Piazzale Roma, about 5E per bag per day, and only take 1 suitcase with you. Then you can stay anywhere since you aren't burdened with excess luggage.

Venere is a good site to search for hotels. Enter your dates. budget and area or use the map feature to pinpoint a specific area. Reviews too. www.venere.com/venice

You can also look back over the past few pages to read read previous responses to this question. Good luck!

I have stayed at Hotel Continental. Near the train station.

The only problem you may have is that the rooms are all different and some are much better than others. Great front desk staff and lovely canal side cafe.

We had a great room overlooking the Grand Canal but others in our party were in very tiny rooms.

This time we are booked at BW Olimpia on Piazzale Roma.

Thanks for your responses. Yesterday I spent hours on the computer looking at trip advisor as well as the Europe for Visitors site. I tried yesterday to book the Continental but they were sold out. Today I see they have availability. However, I just found out my son and his girlfriend will be there for 2 nights and they are used to staying at 5* hotels. All my daughter and I need is a clean convenient place. My son wants to stay with us so I wonder if we should take a chance on the Best Western Olympia. Since it is near the train and bus stations how commercial and noisy is the area? Do I go for a more luxurious place?

Thanks for your responses. Yesterday I spent hours on the computer looking at trip advisor as well as the Europe for Visitors site. I tried yesterday to book the Continental but they were sold out. Today I see they have availability. However, I just found out my son and his girlfriend will be there for 2 nights and they are used to staying at 5* hotels. All my daughter and I need is a clean convenient place. My son wants to stay with us so I wonder if we should take a chance on the Best Western Olympia. Since it is near the train and bus stations how commercial and noisy is the area? Do I go for a more luxurious place?

How soon are you leaving? I have booked the Olimpia and will be there in about 4 weeks. I will submit a review. I booked it because of reviews, price and location.

The Star ratings are different in Europe and are based on amenities.

We will be in Venice 8/15 and sail on the Odyssey on the 18th. I really need to book soon and will look at reviews again for the Continental. What sites did you use? My one son told me to take a small suitcase for more than 2 weeks. He just doesn't understand but I will try to minimize. Maybe I can get by with 2 smalls??? At least I won't have to pack winter clothes.

Since it is near the train and bus stations how commercial and noisy is the area? Do I go for a more luxurious place?

I haven't stayed at the Olimpia but there have been numerous reviews of it on this forum. Do a search on the word 'olimpia'. Some of the reviews included photos of the rooms, views and it's facade. Last yr someone even posted a photo of the bridge you cross. If you get a room on the garden side it's quiet since those rooms face away from the Piazzale Roma. I've read that some of the rooms can be on the small side, but how much will you spend there?? The comments always say it's a clean place.

If I use the REVIEWS on tripadvisor I only read ones from people who have reviewed 8-9 times before, otherwise you find 'staged' reviews from one-post wonders. Or you can do a SEARCH in the Venice forum ... in the empty box next to SEARCH IN, type olimpia.

Venice is very small. Even if you stay at the olimpia and he stays near St Marks you're only 30 minutes away.

Archived