Royal Caribbean Art Auction

Thread from the dead returns again lol.

I got bemused by the sales pitch thrown out earlier in the thread by the guy selling the art (Which I hadn't bothered to read until now). Riiight, let the snake oil salesman tout his wares...

I found it quite funny that he wanted to take out my remark on "fake brush strokes" by calling it "mixed media". (More snickers) Top color on something that's supposedly an oil is always going to show REAL brushstrokes no matter what and it surely will not have printer calibration lines in the corners and be glued into the frame.

Nice try. But an Epic Fail.

Still and all, there's been some improvement. As some have said, if you like it and it's worth the price to you, knock yourself out and enjoy. Just don't expect to make your retirement off the auction block with it.

The old phrase, "Buyer Beware" is still the golden rule with this subject.

Edited by Darkwolfe

They had one on the Brilliance of the Seas and it was predictably ugly art.

.....isn't "art" in the eye of the beholder?........Now let's talk about "style" and those bright blue crushed velvet tuxedos that show up in the audience of the auctions.........:eek::D

This was the first of your many, many ranting posts in this thread. Unfortunately, you lost all credibility halfway through when you decided using what is largely considered an antisemitic reference was appropriate. Maybe you should do a little more research.:cool:

.....never read Shakesphere I would suspect...........:cool:

For several years, my father-in-law bought art while on cruises. At first I didn't pay much attention, because God knows he probably disagrees with how I spend some of my money. He was very proud of them and had them hung and framed all over his house (they came in the mail rolled up in tubes, as all great works of art throughout history have), creating additional expense. He has at least a dozen, all large-format, not the cheap stuff.

A couple of months ago he had a conversation with me during which he told me that this art was, according to the auctioneer, appreciating at such a rate that soon it was going to be a valuable part of his retirement and eventually an inheritance for my wife and myself. He was planning many more purchases during future booked cruises to increase his quality- of-life during his retirement. At that point I was broken-hearted for him, because he was so proud of these things, and because he was now figuring them into his retirement plan after a lifetime of hard work.

I didn't say anything for a couple of days, because I knew how emotionally invested he was in these things. I needed to develop a course of action that would prevent him from being further fleeced while not breaking his heart. I also realized that while I had my suspicions, there was a slight chance these could be genuinely valuable.

So the next time we spoke, I brought up the idea of having them appraised. It took a while for it to sink in, in part because he already had the "appraisal" that the art auctioneer sold him. We decided to at least call one and set up an appointment. We found one through a local museum, and called him. He said he would be glad to do the appraisal for a reasonable cost.

So we loaded these things in the trunk and back seat with blankets between them and went to the appraiser. He looked at each piece and said exactly this: "They are worth whatever you paid for the frames."

We questioned him further, and he explained how art at sea works, that most of what they sell is basically high-quality posters. The company gets away with legally calling them "limited editions" through a variety of means, including making the next batch in a slightly different dimension by changing the height or width by a centimeter.

That was a horrible moment, and I could see his countenance fall as the implications for his future sunk in.

All the art he bought is now hidden under beds and behind dressers in his house. He painted the walls to cover up the un-faded spots where the posters had protected the paint from the sun.

It was a dreadful thing to go through, and it was a dreadful fraud that the company and auctioneers committed against him.

We bought a couple of pieces on the Brilliance in September; still haven't received them, although they were paid for then. Different excuses every time we call. Quite unsatisfactory. Have had to get the CEO's office involved. Won't be buying from them again. No, not an investment, just liked the art.

Id like to buy some of the art work that i see on the ships by the stairs but never though of where to find it online.

I saw some I actually liked on Mariner last January, but there was no way I was buying it there. Better to write down the name of the piece and go snoop the web with that or the artist's name.

The company gets away with legally calling them "limited editions" through a variety of means, including making the next batch in a slightly different dimension by changing the height or width by a centimeter.

Ha!

You need to find a new appraiser!

I think making any large purchase at sea away from enforceable law on land has risk. Not only art but any large purchase. I let individuals determine what large purchase means. Risk can certainly be mitigated by a knowledgeable buyer. But making a large purchase and relying on the seller's expertise will carry risk.

For several years, my father-in-law bought art while on cruises. At first I didn't pay much attention, because God knows he probably disagrees with how I spend some of my money. He was very proud of them and had them hung and framed all over his house ...

At that point I was broken-hearted for him, because he was so proud of these things, ...

That was a horrible moment, and I could see his countenance fall. All the art he bought is now hidden under beds ...

It was a dreadful thing to go through,

I just re-read your post and began to see very important moral and ethical questions and implications.

The end result was that it was "dreadful." No doubt it was for an elderly gentleman who had a sense of pride in his purchases.

The ones that "come in tubes" are relatively inexpensive to begin with and your father-in-law clearly had a wonderful sense in seeing them every day.

For better or worse, he is now without that simple joy.

Was the right thing done? Perhaps... Perhaps not... One can only hope that the actions you took were made with the very best of intentions and the resulting monetary savings to your father in law outweigh the joy he lost as a result of that "dreadful" trip.

I bought art on board back when RCI was still using Park West. I just bought the art, didn't bid on it at the auctions but I saw pieces I liked a lot, and just paid for them. They all hang on the walls of my house and I enjoy looking at them every day. I didn't spend a small fortune, and they are nice memories of a few cruises. Before I bought the paintings, most of the stuff I had on my walls was posters left over from my post-college days. LOL. It was nice to finally get some "grown up" art for my walls. I don't expect them to make me a millionaire, but I also don't plan to part with them. Someday they'll look nice in the offices of whatever charity gets them after I'm gone :p

It is not that the art/copies area bad, and the framing is pretty good, but on one occasion, the art she bought, the frame was damaged in shipment. We called and sent pic of the damage, no problem, they just sent us another one. That just shows you how really worthless the copies are, you are really just paying for the Frame, and it is about the same price as having it done locally.

On our last cruise, the art auctioneer, did a great job of teaching a history lesson on the art, we/even I found the history, of the Italian art up for auction, during WWII interesting.

Edited by north29

• 1 month later...

I have bought art on previous cruises - both on Princess - and was very happy with the product. Bought it because I liked it, and it would work with my decor. Was also impressed at how efficient they were with delivery - well within the time frame stated. BUT, I purchased a piece on Voyager of the Seas last November as a gift and I am still waiting. I am from Australia and it was some Australian sporting memorabilia which they intimated would be sent from Australia. Time zones with Florida pose a major obstacle in phoning them and I haven't received a reply to my email. Any one got any ideas on how to get them moving??

I like to go to the art auctions before they start the auctions just to see what they've got. Over the course of the last couple of cruises I have to confess that I haven't been particularly impressed, especially with the art offered on RCI ships. I thought the art offered on Princess was more interesting.

I will say this much in defense of those who like to buy art onboard the ship. Which would you rather have? Something pretty to hang on your wall forever which will give you pleasure (such as the FIL) or a bill at the end of the cruise for hundreds of dollars worth of alcohol that will never be seen again? Personally, if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a cruise I want to get something for my money other than a three day hangover.

I will say this much in defense of those who like to buy art onboard the ship. Which would you rather have? Something pretty to hang on your wall forever which will give you pleasure (such as the FIL) or a bill at the end of the cruise for hundreds of dollars worth of alcohol that will never be seen again? Personally, if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a cruise I want to get something for my money other than a three day hangover.

Bingo! My husband and I have bought several pieces of art from cruise ship auctions. Not because they are an investment. We are smart enough to know that. But simply because we like them and they remind us of our wonderful vacations together. We do buy original oils and have our favorite artists. We have bought from Park West, Global Fine Arts (Princess) and bought our first piece from Royal when we were on the Allure in November. We are happy with all of our pieces. However, we don't gamble, buy jewelry, and drink very limited alcohol.

To buy art from a cruise ship its crucial to answer these two questions before buying:

1) Can you afford it? They do like to give you the "champagne" and give the spiel to butter you up. It's easy to fall into the trap of "you can always earn it back tomorrow".

2) Do you like it? I mean really like it and have room for it? Think about it logically before you have the "champagne". Forget what they say it will go for in land galleries or what a deal you are getting. blah blah blah. Buy it because you like it. period. You will seldom get back the money as an investment.

If you buy art after following those two steps. Then put it on the wall when you get home and enjoy it as we do. Our art adds beauty to our home and we could care less what the dollar value is. They are priceless to us.

A "friend of a friend" told me that she has purchased PW art in the past, and has received FREE cruises from it. Have you ever heard of that?

Yes I've heard of it and have done it once with Park West to Alaska, 4 times with Princess in the Med. and am doing one with RCI in July, Independence for 14 days to the Med!!

They each offer something a little different but all have been a great experience and we've meet some great artist and have spent many hours with some of them. Met a lot of great collectors too!

we have over 70 pieces hanging in the house and another 20 - 40 pieces that we don't have room to hang. All but one was bought on cruise ships.

We've sold 1 piece since we started collecting and we did make a profit on it.

We collect because we love art, we've spent A LOT, but I'm not planning on retiring from the art we purchased.

• 1 month later...

Just currious as to what the normal delivery time for art purchased shipboard is. My wife bought a painting on the Navigator Christmass Cruise last year and we still have nor ricieved it. Any experience out there?