2 Families with young children in GC

Matty Ice

We're taking our first Disney Cruise in January with another family and we're trying to decide what to do on our day in Grand Cayman. We have daughters who combined will be 5, 6, 7 & 8. Stingray City looks awesome, but I'm wondering if the girls are too young. Suggestions and recommendations for a fun day in Grand Cayman are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

If everyone wants to see stingrays, they shouldn't be too young.

We are "beach" people...so that's where we head. The beaches are public and require no excursion. There are buses that run from the dock to the beach...much cheaper than a taxi.

We (me, DH and DD age 9) just returned from our cruise, and we went to Stingray City. We all enjoyed this excursion, but only 2 stingrays came over to our group the whole time we were there -- it was VERY crowded with lots of tour groups in the area. Actually, this was probably for the best because DD may have been too frightened if there were a lot of stingrays around! The water depth was fine for her to stand in most places (she is approx. 52" tall), and it was crystal clear.

I do want to mention that one woman in our tour group got stung by a jellyfish while we were there. I don't know if she had a bad reaction to it, or if it was a box jelly (didn't personally see it), but she was in REALLY bad shape -- to the point where she was in horrible pain and having a hard time breathing. They had a small oxygen tank on the boat, which seemed to help her, but it was really scary for a while.

I know that this could happen ANYWHERE as it is the ocean and all, but I just didn't expect it. I enjoyed the experience, but in retrospect, I am not sure if I should have taken DD. She was not bothered by the stingrays at all, but I think she is now deathly afraid of jellyfish!:eek:

Archived