Braemar cruise african coast feb 2013

flemtagg

Hello everyone i am quite new to this having done only a few thompsons cruises before , I have just booked a cruise on the Breamar for feb it goes to some of the african coast ,Gambia , Senigal , Cape Verdi, I would be grateful for any info, i have booked an inside cabin are they ok , are the tours ok , are they expensive , is it a good ship , any info would be appriceciated , cabin size, atsmosphere on ship, i would like everyones opinion , i am also all inclusive is this good has anyone done this before .

thanks

I am a little surprised that you didn't ask these questions before booking. You will find this ship a friendly place with a warm and welcoming crew. The details of the accommodation are in the Fred. Olsen brochure and you will find it comfortable. Remember cabins on most ships are significantly smaller than bedrooms in hotels. I am sure you will enjoy the food and the service in the restaurants.

You will be visiting some really interesting places, amongst them two of my favourites Dakar, Senegal and Banjul, the Gambia. I worked in both places and have also visited as a tourist from Fred. Olsen ships. They are quite different in many ways. Dakar still retains many things including language from its time as a French colony whereas Banjul retains English as its official language. I would recommend taking the tour to Goree Island from Dakar and the river trip from Banjul. If you can squeeze in a trip to the market in Banjul you will find some fine souvenirs there. Mindelo in the Cape Verde Islands is a former Portuguese colony and differs quite a lot from the ports you will visit on the West African coast.

I'm sure you will have a great cruise.

Hi, we are doing this cruise from the UK this October. I will come back and post after the cruise and give you some pointeres if I can.

Parsman thanks for the ideas about Banjul and Dakar. I too have been to both places before but many years ago. The river trip sounds good. I think in Dakar we will choose the wildlife excursion which is all day and should give us some good views.

We are doing Mindelo ourselves and take an excursion in Praia

• 5 months later...

Hi there. Well we missed one port in the Cape verde owing to our slow crossing of the Bay due to massive low pressure area. We had overnight and all day in Madeira instead. In Dakar we did the wildlife tour, but I thought it was overpriced and the animals are all imported from other African countries. In Banjul we did Makasutu which was cheaper and well worth it.

In Mindelo, we did "A Taste of Mindelo" - excellent.

We loved the cruise and we loved Fred Olsen - beats P&O in our opinion.

Hello Jean

We are visiting Dakar and Banjul in February and are receiving conflicting information about needing a visa for Cape Verde. Could you tell me if you did or not? Also did you need to get yellow fever immunisation.

Many thanks

Archived