Just back- Oceania Mediterranean 4/25-5/9 vs Celebrity

Petoonya

We booked an inside- were upgraded to an outside which was fine for the Mediterranean for us. We do not spend any time in our cabin when do Europe so the outside was perfectly fine for us. We liked saving the extra dollars for for touring...and spending shopping in Sorrento and Positano and Venice etc!

You still get a "cloud" tranquility bed even in an inside cabin Macop. I have never ever experienced anything quite like the luxury, the service, the absolute perfection of Oceania- I thought Windstar was the ultimate but this surpassed them.

Having withdrawal thinking about those menus at those restaurants....sigh.

But really....I still DO like Celebrity too.

Dear Petoonya,

We have just reserved a 12 night Western Med. cruise on the Millennium for June of 2006. However, I have been reading some reviews recently that indicate the Millennium is starting to look rather tired and in need of some refurbishment. I am interested in your positive review of Oceania. How old is the ship you cruised on?

Also, you mentioned there were no children on board. Do you think it was because of the time of year you travelled, or is Oceania not geared toward families?

My husband and I are in our mid-forties and we will be travelling with our two children ages 12 and 10. I would consider Oceania if they are welcoming to families.

Thank you,

Nancy

Oceania is currently using three ships ... all are the old "R" series of eight ships that Rennaisance built in the late 90s before they went Chapter 11 after 9-11.

Oceania is also refurbishing the ships as they come back on lineso I would expect you would find any of the three in like new condition.

Frank

Thanks for the great review.

Although we too still like Celebirty, we have strayed over the past year to Crystal. Primarily due to their aggressive marketing, making pricing very attractive. The level of service on Crystal is amazing. But we feel our days w/Crystal are numbered now that they're returning Harmony to the parent Japanese company. With just two ships left, I fear marketing techniques will no longer be necessary with such reduced inventory. So all that is to say we're looking at lines such as Oceania to fill our Crystal void. Once you step up to the luxury lines, it's difficult to go back, no matter how much you still "like" Celebrity.

By the way, I think it's great to post comparisons on the 'competing' cruise line's message board. It's all about information!

Nancy,

No, Oceania is truly not geared in any way shape or form toward children or families. It is an adult oriented cruise line. I would venture to say that this was true not just on the Med itinerary but on all of their ships and itineraries as well. They are not set up to accommodate children of any age.

We did Millennium also Western Med, Barcelona to Venice in May 2003- and this was just 2 years ago. It may well be that the ship is looking tired since that time but it's hard to imagine so. I hear that again and again about Celebrity ships just before we board them but I have yet to board one where I have witnessed it. (Heard that about Infinity before we boarded last December- NOT!) BTW the Millennium was the PERFECT ship for families with children of all ages travelling in the Mediterranean.

*Beav* ....I am beginning to agree with your assessment. The further we get away from Regatta the harder it is for us to even consider doing anything else but another Oceania ship. Celebrity just can't touch them. Right now prices for a May 2006 Oceania Med 14 day cruise are less than for a 12 day X Med cruise same time period. And Regatta is so much more deliciously luxurious and delightfully petite.

I hate it. I'm jaded.

Nancy,

No, Oceania is truly not geared in any way shape or form toward children or families. It is an adult oriented cruise line. I would venture to say that this was true not just on the Med itinerary but on all of their ships and itineraries as well. They are not set up to accommodate children of any age.

No doubt since Renaissance was adult-only, and built/designed the ships as such.

I would so live to try an Oceania cruise, but my problem is the length. It's not that I don't have the time or the wherewithall -- it's that I'm not sure I could stand 10+ nights on a cruise ship. For me, it's just WAY too much of a GREAT thing.

How do you all do it? Between the food and the pampering my body starts shutting down around night 6, and I start to lose my enjoyment of the whole thing. The longest cruise I've been on was eight nights, and toward the end I didn't even want to see food any more. I guess people have a lot more willpower than I do! But between the drinks, the parties, the elegant teas, and the dinners. Ooof. Please share your secrets, if there are any!

There are no secrets Leela! Your little sweet self is just telling you it's not ready just yet. But someday soon I guess.

You'll know.

Trust the Force.

:)

Hahhaha. Okay, that's cool. I'm doing a 4-night in September on Mercury with my husband, I'll have to see if that seems "too short." :)

I really think my Mom would enjoy Oceania, though, so perhaps she and I can work up to a 10-night. It sure is enticing. We've managed an 8-night. We had so much fun together that 10 days with her would be a breeze if I could just get over the over-indulgence aspects. I'm going to go look at the Oceania web site to see what they say about physical activities and alternate dining options. A night "off" enjoying a bottle of wine and some tapas would be a good respite that would get me through a 10-night cruise. ;)

Beav, welcome back! Join us on the dark side (Black Sea) Nautica 7/2/06! What's one more booking? ;)

Rat, you DEVIL! Oceania, huh? CONGRATS! Friends of ours are also applying severe pressure to sail with them on Oceania to Asia in Feb '06. Glad to see you're giving them a try too! Don't worry...we'll get there too someday SOON, hopefully!

Leela,

FYI. "Tapas" is the name of the restaurant (this is one of four restaurants on board and the fastest to get in and out of if one is wanting to retire early)but "tapas" were not what I saw served there. Paella yes. Prime rib. Wonderful scampi and scallops. Several seafood dishes. Cooked to order pasta. All buffet style. Different variety each nite. Wonderful variety of salads. And amazing array of desserts. A different fruit flambe each nite. Several flavors of ice creams and sorbets.

Nancy

We have bounced back and forth between Celebrity and Princess (usually based on itinerary), but Celebrity has been our favorite. With some of the extreme 2006 cruise pricing out there (along with a desire to try a small ship line that we can afford), I think I see Oceania in our future.

• 1 year later...
Petoonya - we are sailing Oceania Regatta Barcelona to Venice in Oct. We are trying to decide whether to do the ships excursions or go on our own. Like in Rome, none of the tours offered have exactly what we are looking for and are pricey. We were thinking of trying the train in which seems to give you access to the subway etc all for the same price. Did you do Rome and if so how? What ports did you find that just strolling on your own was good?

Did you do a deviation?
It's all a bit overwhelming!

Archived