How early can we get our snorkeling gear?

markser

We took Marc's tour on our first day of the cruise as well. The daily said it would be open at 4, but we headed down there early (I think like 3:30) and they were already there and the door was open.

You might want to think about bringing your own snorkel gear, though. There have been several complaints on the boards lately that their gear is not very well maintained. We're divers, so we brought our own. And our friends brought their own except for fins, which they borrowed from the ship. If you plan on doing a lot of snorkeling, it really is best to have your own good-quality gear, so you won't be dealing with mask leaks which can be really annoying. ESPECIALLY on Mark's tour, where the snorkeling is in a pretty strong current over coral heads so you really need to keep your face in the water.

Get there as soon as they open on the first day. The hours were limited and they weren't open soon enough the next day for you to get equipment before you leave for your excursion. We got there a few minutes after the scheduled opening time and ended up in

a short line. The line did take awhile since each person to sign the paperwork and get the right sizes.

We had no problems with the equipment we used from the ship, but if you have your own, then bring it instead of borrowing theirs.

We are also booked on Marc's tour in Huahine and have only snorkeled once many, many years ago. When you say a strong current would it be challenging for a newbie ? Thanks Donna

Hi Donna, I haven't had a chance to write up my review yet since I got back (still trying to catch up at work!) but I was definitely going to write about the snorkeling on Marc's tour. I'll try to get that posted soon.

In the meantime, to answer your question, yes, the snorkeling we did would be challenging for a beginner who is not a good swimmer. Charlie and I are advanced divers and strong swimmers so it was no big deal to us, but we were traveling with another couple who are inexperienced snorkelers and not good swimmers. They both are older twe're in our early 50's, they're in their late 60's) and not in the best of shape. They both had some difficulty with it.

I should point out that we did the 4X4 and beach bbq/snorkel combination, so we only had one snorkeling session, around mid-day. Others from our cruise did only the beach bbq/snorkel, so they did more snorkeling than we did (at least one more session, maybe two? Not sure). So maybe the earlier snorkel sessions are better. But ours was, frankly, not that great. The boat drops you in the middle of a section of the lagoon where the current is flowing quite strong, and then they point you towards a pole way up ahead and basically tell you to let the current take you there. You then get WHOOOSHED along, over a sandy bottom peppered with tall coral heads. It takes about 20 minutes, and then it's over and you gotta get back in the boat.

The water is deep - well over your head - so you won't be able to stand. If you're not a good swimmer you really should wear a flotation vest. You have to keep your face in the water so you can see the upcoming coral heads and navigate yourself around them so you don't end up banging into them and scraping up your legs. It's really not that hard - I'm probably making it sound worse than it is - UNLESS you are not a good swimmer or comfortable breathing through the snorkel. Charlie and I had no trouble at all, although I found the current to be annoying because I couldn't stop to actually take a look at anything. But Sandy really did have some trouble. Her mask leaked so kept filling with water, she kept getting water in her snorkel, and she kept veering off course so I had to pull her away from coral heads a few times before the current pushed her into them.

Another woman on our tour was a beginner, and she basically held onto the boat the whole time. (The boat follows along right behind you then picks you up at the end.)

To be honest, I was disappointed with the snorkeling on that tour. The beach bbq was fun, And I liked the 4X4 part, but we had MUCH better snorkeling on Teking's snorkel tour on Aitutaki. And while I didn't do Patrick's tour on Bora Bora, Sandy & Bill did and LOVED it - said it was the best of the three.

It's possible the current was stronger than usual that day - I think the guide said something about that. But if you are not a good swimmer, and/or are not sure you can keep your face in the water breathing through your snorkel, you might want to consider skipping this tour. On the other hand, if you are in reasonably good shape (e.g. can fin yourself around in the water for 20 minutes without tiring) and can get comfortable breathing with a snorkel, you'll be fine.

We are also booked on Marc's tour in Huahine and have only snorkeled once many, many years ago. When you say a strong current would it be challenging for a newbie ? Thanks Donna

This was my first time ever snorkeling. I had my floatation vest on and was ready to go, until I jumped in, felt the strong current and totally panicked! I'm not a super strong swimmer, but I'm really not bad either. I didn't want to ruin the excursion for my husband, so I held on to the outrigger on the boat with my face in the water the whole time. The snorkelers took off with the current and the boat and I drifted along a little slower behind them all. Because of the current, it was a fast snorkel. And, my husband had a hard time taking pictures of anything because he was going so fast.

Another woman on our tour was a beginner, and she basically held onto the boat the whole time. (The boat follows along right behind you then picks you up at the end.)

That was me!

To be honest, I was disappointed with the snorkeling on that tour. The beach bbq was fun, And I liked the 4X4 part, but we had MUCH better snorkeling on Teking's snorkel tour on Aitutaki. And while I didn't do Patrick's tour on Bora Bora, Sandy & Bill did and LOVED it - said it was the best of the three.

The 4x4 part of the tour on Huahine was great! We saw so many things (Marae, vanilla farm, pearl farm, blue eyed eels, and just scenery in general). And, I completely agree with LeeAnne, we did have much much better snorkeling later in the trip. Aitutaki and Bora Bora (with Patrick's tour) were definitely the best snorkeling of the trip!

Thank you everyone for responding so quickly. LeeAnne I appreciate your detail response and LithLith even though you didn't enjoy the snorkeling portion would your recommend the day? I will be honest we are in our mid 50's, average fitness and can certainly swim without any fear. If asked are we strong swimmers I would say NO just because we only do some occasional swimming on a vacation once/year. The last time I snorkeled was about 20 years ago. We will be staying at the Hilton Moorea prior; I hope to practice using the mask and get the breathing down. I have to admit I am afraid of the strong current. I may be similar to your self LithLith and appreciate your honesty...... Tough decision

Thank you everyone for responding so quickly. LeeAnne I appreciate your detail response and LithLith even though you didn't enjoy the snorkeling portion would your recommend the day?

I loved Marc's tour! I didn't let my initial moments of panic during the snorkel portion of the tour ruin my day. I still had a good time just holding on the boat with my face in the water watching the coral go by. It's a far better value than you'll find anywhere else for pretty much a full day of sightseeing and activities. I would go again!

I loved Marc's tour! I didn't let my initial moments of panic during the snorkel portion of the tour ruin my day. I still had a good time just holding on the boat with my face in the water watching the coral go by. It's a far better value than you'll find anywhere else for pretty much a full day of sightseeing and activities. I would go again!

And you were so brave! We were very impressed. :)

Donna, if you are comfortable swimming in water over your head and in reasonably good health, you'll do fine...especially if you practice breathing with the snorkel beforehand. Our friends are, in all honesty, not in the best of shape - Bill is diabetic and Sandy gets winded very easily and has some mobility issues. Bill did fine, but Sandy struggled with finning and breathing through the snorkel.

Archived