Driving CA to Galveston in the winter

Raze

Ive done the SFO to IAH drive in Sept and Nov and didnt see any. Cant help with snow on the route in Dec. Dont remember any areas that would have snow unless its really cold. The highest elevation is near Tuscon and it only gets to about 5000 ft.

Good luck with that drive

If you take I40 flagstaff may have snow, I10 though,I doubt it.

I took I-10 both times:eek:

That was the look, when I had a blow out, passing a Semi

How long would this drive take? I'm thinking two days. We live NE of LA in the desert and the idea of driving to Galveston has crossed my mind a time or two.

From the center of LA to the center of Galveston Island is a little over 1,594 miles at a little over 22 hours on I-10 to I-45 per Yahoo Maps. Most of the trip will be through Texas via El Paso, then Houston to Galveston Island.

You will need to consider your own endurance level for the trip. For me from LA, we stopped overnight in Tucson and also El Paso so we could do a day of shopping in Juarez before heading home to the Gulf Coast.

Kat 50.gif

Have driven this route a number of times many years ago.

Would definitely make it a 3 day trip stopping in Tucson, Ft. Stockton, Tx then on to Galveston. El Paso to Galveston is close to 800 miles - that is just too far in one day though I have driven Albuqueque to Houston in one day not too long ago.

Would not want to go into Mexico, specifically Juarez - too dangerous.

Have driven this route a number of times many years ago.

Would definitely make it a 3 day trip stopping in Tucson, Ft. Stockton, Tx then on to Galveston. El Paso to Galveston is close to 800 miles - that is just too far in one day though I have driven Albuqueque to Houston in one day not too long ago.

Would not want to go into Mexico, specifically Juarez - too dangerous.

From outside Kerville to outside El Paso the speed limit is now 80. It's a straight 12 hour drive, even with a couple of rest stops. Daughter and I made that trip in December and there was a FREAK snowstorm...we almost got stuck in El Paso. I-10 was shut down for mile because of ice. we drove the feeder for miles and miles. Then once we got back on the main road the left lane was closed because of ice. The drive home took us almost 15 hours!

I'm not sure if its restricted to daylight hours or not. We drove during the day. I honestly don't recall.

I was just wondering if they had changed it.

I Drove it twice and it had 2 signs one for daylight and one for nighttime

I think it is 60 @ night

Sorry cannot help you there, but take the beltway around Houston when possible. It will be worth every dime you pay. Houston traffic can slow you down an hour or two. (Not kidding)

If they take the '8' it is a toll road so they need to be prepared for that. You have to have cash as the booths dont take credit/debit cards. I found that out the first time thru:rolleyes:

If they take the '610' that might help a little if they dont want to pay the toll on the 8

I was just wondering if they had changed it.

I Drove it twice and it had 2 signs one for daylight and one for nighttime

I think it is 60 @ night

If they take the '8' it is a toll road so they need to be prepared for that. You have to have cash as the booths dont take credit/debit cards. I found that out the first time thru:rolleyes:

If they take the '610' that might help a little if they dont want to pay the toll on the 8

Regardless the worst of the traffic is from the beltway/45 southbound until past League City.

Regardless the worst of the traffic is from the beltway/45 southbound until past League City.

Yes that stretch can slow down

and is under construction presently for great improvements.

However, 6 lanes will always be open going and coming

during this construction according to Texas Highways Department.

Not like before with Nasa Rd One fly over,

when highway narrowed down sometimes

to 4 or 2 lanes at times during construction!

Also just try not to come thru Houston

7 to 9 am or 4 to 6 pm monday thru friday commuting times!

Living in Austin TX with family who lived in San Francisco and Tucson we've driven that route many times. We also took this as the southern route when going back to our former home in Colorado. Some comments.

• Austin to Ft. Stockton is a full day's drive and Ft. Stockton is a good midpoint between Tucson and central Texas. In good weather we have made it all the way from Tucson to central Texas in one very long day of driving
  • Austin to Galveston is about 3.5 hours, with one stop for gas/fast food (the gas from the fast food comes later :rolleyes:) I would estimate you could shave about 0.5 hr - 45 minutes if coming via San Antonio, although we've never done it.
  • We have hit major snow storms in Phoenix area, extending into New Mexico (white-out conditions, day time driving only possible)
  • We have hit major rain storms in El Paso
  • Daytime speed limits usually only drop by 5-10mph for night time limits. When the speed limit was 70, night time limit was 65, and most daytime driving was done at 80 in the wide open stretches.

In winter I would plan 3 days for the trip, with an overnight in Galveston before the cruise.

Does anyone know how conditions would be driving from LA to Galveston in late December? Chances of snow at higher levels?

It could be anywhere from freezing (not likely) to 80 in Texas in late December. We normally have very mild winters in Texas with mostly sunny skies. I love our Texas winters, but our summers are torture due to the heat. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Yes that stretch can slow down

and is under construction presently for great improvements.

However, 6 lanes will always be open going and coming

during this construction according to Texas Highways Department.

Not like before with Nasa Rd One fly over,

when highway narrowed down sometimes

to 4 or 2 lanes at times during construction!

Also just try not to come thru Houston

7 to 9 am or 4 to 6 pm monday thru friday commuting times!

Saturdays and Sunday afternoons too. Perhaps not as much during the winter but during the summer STAY OFF 45S

Saturdays and Sunday afternoons too. Perhaps not as much during the winter but during the summer STAY OFF 45S

Once past NASA 1 and League City exit the highway opens up. Traffic is due to the area shopping malls. Rarely has the drive from Houston to Galveston been more than an hour. Any longer is due to an accident.

However, this is true in any major city.

Stay off 45S ????????????:rolleyes:

An out of town person is generally

not going to seek out or take alternate routes,

unless there is a serious wreck and total stoppage!!

They will take 45S and should,

unless there is major wreck!!

Since you live in Friendswood,

you are familiar with 6, 288, 35, 3, 146, ferry(Bolivar)

and other back roads. Go for it!

I cannot tell you how many trips between Gal/Hou

we have made in the last many years.

We used to live in Houston

and went to Galveston for long time on a weekender basis.

Now we live in Galveston and then commuted to Houston for a while.

We live here Galveston full time.

Our trips to downtown Houston

and back are less than an hour.

We can get to Bush IAH airport

in around an hour door to door!

Plan around likely slow down times

as most people do in any large city!

Archived