Jet Boat in Saint John (Canada) with kids?

sbhdmh

Has anyone done the jet boat (aka "thrill ride") at the reversing falls in Saint John with kids? My very adventurous 7 year old is asking to do it but I want to make sure it will be fun rather than scary. Thanks.

Yeah it was these videos that got her to say that she wanted to do it. She is above the height requirement and they have a kids price. Just wondering if anyone has been on them and can give me some feedback.

I would try asking your question on the Canada forum in the ports of call section or do a search over there and you might find some information.

How does your daughter handle cold and wetness? The waters are not going to be warm at all. She will be in rain gear and a lifejacket but the cold water will be hitting her in the face.

Looking at there website, there are also times that they don't allow kids under 13, I wonder why? Might be worth calling or emailing them directly.

Restrictions: Every participant must be a minimum of 42 inches tall; Every participant younger than 12 years old must be accompanied by an adult; During two hours at low tide, all participants must be over 13 years old.

------------

So - after going to Saint John and knowing their tide schedule and knowing how how hard it was to time our private tour to their tide schedule - that last line would concern me.

I've done it, but never with kids. I would take my kids if they met the restrictions, but they are used to being on boats and know how to deal with an emergency situation (DS1 got pulled out of the boat and into the water last year in a lock...). The ride is not quiet...they do take sharp banked turns like you see in the videos, which would scare some kids. However others would love it...it all depends.

If you go, let us know how it goes ;)

• 2 weeks later...

DD loved the jet boat! It is really only for those with an adventurous spirit (that goes for adults too :) ) I contacted them in advance and booked a time as far from low tide as possible so the falls wouldn't be too rough. They make sure to seat the kids in the center of the boat and I never feared for her safety. She wore only a bathing suit under the rainsuit that is provided. Those that wore clothes underneath were soaking wet and regretted not bringing a change of clothes. So fun for my DD with a super adventurous spirit. Lots and lots of cold salt water over and over. If your kid is ok with that they might enjoy it too.

By the way we hired a taxi for 3 hours to take us out to Saint Martin afterwards to explore the sea caves during low tide. This was AWESOME! If your visit allows you to get there during low tide I highly recommend it.

Archived