Need opinion re: Dawn family suite w/balcony OR 2br suite

marisa0324

Hi! I am hoping all of the NCL experts can help me make a decision about our upcoming trip on the Dawn.

I will be traveling with my husband, 4 DD and son who will be 10.5 months old when we sail. I booked a family suite with balcony but now I am considering a 2 bedroom suite. Is it worth the extra $800 for the 2 bedroom?

My concern about the family suite is that the balcony is uncovered. This will come in handy when I want to sit in the sun but I worry about it being completely exposed.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

We had a 2BR suite on the Jade 2 years ago and loved it. I have never been in the family suite and therefore can't offer a comparison, so I just wanted to pop on here and tell you that the 2BR is fabulous! :)

We have another 2BR suite coming up in October ... I can't wait!

We had the family suite on the Dawn and the 2 bedroom suite (not in the Haven) on the Jewel.

First, we loved the open balcony. Now I cannot guarantee it is always this way--but the way we were docked the sun was not glaring every second of the day. Now we also did not try to stay on the deck all day long. I tend to use it in the morning and at night, as well as some in the afternoon as you could hear the steel drum band play (another advantage to teh openness--but again, that is from my perspective). The openness made the deck, as well as the room itself, very bright. At no time was the open deck an issue. I will be very sad when they cover those decks. I find the small squished in, covered decks to be way too small and in a way depressing. These decks are really large and have lovely furniture. The entire suite is just unbelievable. It so bright and airy--very new and you can totally tell the difference in that the decor is much more stylish and so incredibly big and open. Also, they have curtains as well as a slide across room divider so that you can give yourselves at least some privacy. The location is PERFECT--you basically walk out of your room and right to the pool and deck area. I mean PERFECT--especially if you ahve little kids and need to be oging back and forth to the room, it is jsut like, right there.

Now--the two bedroom is also lovely. The bathroom especially was a joy. The privacy is certainly a plus, as is the second bathroom. However--I do not believe these suites have been updated. They tend to be darker. The deck is incredibly small--I mean you cannot get a lounger on it as I recall.

But given the two--I find the family suite to be far superior. Now if you cannot have any sun at all or if the privacy is a deal breaker or if you HATE being able to hear the music from the deck or if you really prefer darker less open and light decor--then you would certainly find the 2 bedroom preferable. But $800 is a lot--that would pretty much be our onboard spending.

You cannot go wrong with either. You will have a great cruise.;)

Hi! I am hoping all of the NCL experts can help me make a decision about our upcoming trip on the Dawn.

I will be traveling with my husband, 4 DD and son who will be 10.5 months old when we sail. I booked a family suite with balcony but now I am considering a 2 bedroom suite. Is it worth the extra $800 for the 2 bedroom?

My concern about the family suite is that the balcony is uncovered. This will come in handy when I want to sit in the sun but I worry about it being completely exposed.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

That price difference doesn't seem to bad if you mean $800 in total as usually the 2 bedrooms when I've looked at them over time is usually quite a bit more than that. The family suites are very new and there are pictures on this board if you search for "SJ" or "SD" the SJ don't have the balcony IIRC. The 2 br have the nice main bathroom overlooking the water.

In either case, your 4 y/o should like the kids pool in the back of the ship.

We sailed the Dawn in one of the new SD family suites with Balcony in June.

The Family suites are spacious and gorgeous. I think you will find that they are just fine for your needs and the extra $800 can be used elsewhere.

Here is a link to our review with links to pictures of our suite and balcony as well

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1644613&highlight=dawn

We sailed the Dawn in one of the new SD family suites with Balcony in June.

The Family suites are spacious and gorgeous. I think you will find that they are just fine for your needs and the extra $800 can be used elsewhere.

Here is a link to our review with links to pictures of our suite and balcony as well

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1644613&highlight=dawn

I just realized that we booked the same suite as you! Pictures are great!!!! When you were in port, did you face the port or the water? Just curious.

I just realized that we booked the same suite as you! Pictures are great!!!! When you were in port, did you face the port or the water? Just curious.

When we were docked in Bermuda we were facing the dock. It appears that this is somewhat random so you never know until you arrive.

Glad ya like the shots. The suite was terrific and in great condition.

If you are doing the Bermuda run, it has been roughly 2/3 port side to dock this season. In other words, front of ship facing out to the ocean.

Archived