How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

I guess I forgot what list you were talking about....I had to read back to find it! I guess I am right up there with the rest of you!...Yes this will be a fun thread.....if we can remember to post...LOL!

That's funny about remember to post - boy! I have had a lot of super Sr moments lately -

Unfortunately, i don't know how to post those discounts on CC - I can send via email so if you care to give me your emails I'll be glad to forward that list to you-

I am carfieldtnepo at comcast dot net

carfield cuz I love love love GARFIELD since he was born in the 80's - have all the stuffed animals, novelty items, Christmas ornts, everything!!

corkey Carol

Corkey Carol informed me of this site. I do what Carol tells me...so here I am.

Now I must let you know that when Carol does travel around the country it will not be by scenic routes or monuments etc...it will be by food places.

I can confirm that Carol is obsessed with talking food but I am too. Now I do not go to the dinner thread for I do not cook enough to warrant participation.

I am 61 and DH will be 64 this Oct. Lots of places will give discounts starting at 50 y/o. I did not even know McDonalds does till I heard someone order a senior coffee.

Both our girls are married. One is pregnant with first child and the other DD has 2 biological and 2 adopted children. Her house is a madhouse and it is hard for me to see. She works as a special ed trainer for the district.

Carol is a great person..

BTW we have Somebreros in Arizona.. Mexican food is in demand here.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=sombreros&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sombreromex.com%2F&ei=QdcyUNr0Kq_uigKC9ICIAg&usg=AFQjCNHMcNCsXBlJrmyZ3UP1bjD6NjDfVw&sig2=PH0AEUpwAnGyOQ5EpqTnfw

Thanks

Laura

Edited by Arizona Laura

Hey Mi Amiga Laura - I love this thread - met up with my ex-cruisin' friend from a TA on the Brilliance in 2006 -- then new friends and now You.... and Yes, we are foodies... comfort food, ok food, not so gourmet at times cuz I am not into certain flavors that are fused together!! give me a good burger!!

thanx Laura for joining us -

We cruised with Laura and her hubby Gene on feb 2009 on the Mariner when it went on its inaugural sailing from LA - THEN it left CA... boo hoo -- loved those quicko Mexican cruises for a quick escape - drove from our place to the pier and had a great time on the ship - didn't even go ashore most of the time while at the Mex ports... carol

I am enjoying my Michigan Grandson, a trip to the park to throw bread to the fish, a walk around the small lake and then a lunch of his choice. He doesn't start school for 2 more weeks. My other grandkids all start school here in Ohio, tomorrow. They have been my "entertainment" all summer! I will feel sad for the first month or two but then will start planning Christmas and soon after that....our cruise....yay!

Lucky Grandson!! sounds like fun - !!

Corkey Carol

I am really losing my mind - (that's nothing new) -- Beth, I thought I read where you wanted suggestions on mystery books to read - maybe it wasn't you cuz I can't find it posted on this thread --

anyway, I was going to say, james patterson is ok - I am not a mystery reader except for Mary Higgins Clark - he had a series (11 books) which takes place in San Francisco - forgot the name of the group the gals gave themselves - one is a sargeant or leutnt, another is a pathologist, one is a reporter and the other is a lawyer and they solve murders - I think they are titled as #1 .... #2... oh gosh, I am not being very clear but that's what happens when I think of something right now and don't bother to research it - the titles are all on my Kindle and I am too lazy to get it - Carol

Hi All,

I just found this thread. I was looking because I will be tipping into the '55 club' this week!! I hope it's Ok that I am a bit early.

I have been cruising since I was in my middle 20's. I have been on about 20 cruises so not one every year when I was 'younger'. I have cruised on HAL, Princess, RCCL, NCL and a now extinct cruise line but I cannot remember the name. (The ship was named the Vera Cruz and held 200 passengers-1st cruise). Now I cruise about 1-2 times a year. I am just starting to cruise solo which I am looking forward to... I have 2 cruises book for next year but I am also considering taking a cruise over this Christmas.

I also LOVE to talk about cruising & food!! You all seem quite fun. Nice to meet you all. :)

And Happy Birthday Cruisercl! Going to movie today..."The Odd Life of Timothy Green" Will let you know how it turns out. ...............By the way LauraArizona.....My name Sombrero6 is taken from a trip to cancun...I have 6 grandkids and used that as my name! What is Sombreros?

Hi All,

I just found this thread. I was looking because I will be tipping into the '55 club' this week!! I hope it's Ok that I am a bit early.

I have been cruising since I was in my middle 20's. I have been on about 20 cruises so not one every year when I was 'younger'. I have cruised on HAL, Princess, RCCL, NCL and a now extinct cruise line but I cannot remember the name. (The ship was named the Vera Cruz and held 200 passengers-1st cruise). Now I cruise about 1-2 times a year. I am just starting to cruise solo which I am looking forward to... I have 2 cruises book for next year but I am also considering taking a cruise over this Christmas.

I also LOVE to talk about cruising & food!! You all seem quite fun. Nice to meet you all. :)

Hi!

I'm new to this board, too, but loving it already. I think this is going to be a great place to socialize. If you love cruising and food and are turning 55..yes, this is the place to be :)

Lynn

Carol, yes I'm the one asking for recommendations for mystery books. I've read a bit of Mary Higgins Clark. I've read a lot of James Patterson including all of the Women's Murder Club series - the one set in SF.

A CC and FB friend recommended a series about a woman sheriff set in Arizona, and I'm half way through the first one. A Scottish friend recommended a series set in Glasgow, and I've ordered the first two.

I've just cancelled my Caribbean Princess cruise for January. Instead I'm going to a reunion of my first cousins. We're scattered across the US and try to get together every few years since we are now the oldest generation with me being the eldest of the lot since one cousin died several years ago. This year we're going to be just outside Pensacola.

Tomorrw I'll be booking the Freedom of the Seas for late fall, 2013. I'll be meeting up with some friends for that cruise so won't be completely solo.

Beth

And Happy Birthday Cruisercl! Going to movie today..."The Odd Life of Timothy Green" Will let you know how it turns out. ...............By the way LauraArizona.....My name Sombrero6 is taken from a trip to cancun...I have 6 grandkids and used that as my name! What is Sombreros?

It is a chain of more like fast food Mexican food. I don’t care for them that much but lots of people do.

I have 4 grandkids and one in the oven..first for my other DD. Love them but so glad to get home to peace and quiet.

Happy Birthday Cruisercl..Welcome!

I get some channels on You Tube for cooking. Also you can learn how to cut an onion to just about how to make anything on You Tube. I do better with visual aids now. My husband says I torture him when I have cooking shows on or looking at You Tube..:D

Carol..I loved that Mariner cruise. That is why I think I will like the Allure since I love the open areas on cruise ships so I do not feel so enclosed.

Carol, yes I'm the one asking for recommendations for mystery books. I've read a bit of Mary Higgins Clark. I've read a lot of James Patterson including all of the Women's Murder Club series - the one set in SF.

A CC and FB friend recommended a series about a woman sheriff set in Arizona, and I'm half way through the first one. A Scottish friend recommended a series set in Glasgow, and I've ordered the first two.

I've just cancelled my Caribbean Princess cruise for January. Instead I'm going to a reunion of my first cousins. We're scattered across the US and try to get together every few years since we are now the oldest generation with me being the eldest of the lot since one cousin died several years ago. This year we're going to be just outside Pensacola.

Tomorrw I'll be booking the Freedom of the Seas for late fall, 2013. I'll be meeting up with some friends for that cruise so won't be completely solo.

Beth

I was going nuts looking for your post here on CC re: the mystery books request -- I knew I read it and I knew it was you who posted.... my empty head said, it's here it's here -- couldn't find it and guess what -- finally remembered-- I read your post on FB!!! Yes, it was the murder club series I was referring to = I downloaded the latest one and haven't read it yet - I love Mary Higgin Clark - I read her autobiography called Kitchen Privileges - it was very good - she has such a subtle sense of humor that is so cute - recommond that book... I'll have to ask my other friends about mystery books -

Your reunion sounds like fun - I love reunions - went on the Freedom for the first time last yr and we loved it - I still like the Brilliance better -

carol

Hi All,

Welcome to our little group here - and Happy Birthday!! when is your exact birth date? I love to greet folks on their special days - anniversaries... birthdays -

I won't volunteer a certain someone on this thread - SHE does a great birthday/anniversary chart - I won't mention HER name - right Laura?

Corkey Me.

It is a chain of more like fast food Mexican food. I don’t care for them that much but lots of people do.

I have 4 grandkids and one in the oven..first for my other DD. Love them but so glad to get home to peace and quiet.

Happy Birthday Cruisercl..Welcome!

I get some channels on You Tube for cooking. Also you can learn how to cut an onion to just about how to make anything on You Tube. I do better with visual aids now. My husband says I torture him when I have cooking shows on or looking at You Tube..:D

Carol..I loved that Mariner cruise. That is why I think I will like the Allure since I love the open areas on cruise ships so I do not feel so enclosed.

I also loved the Mariner - we were on the next to the last sailing just to say a little goodbye to her when she left CA - and I especially loved the one we were on with your cuz of the fabulous folks we met and still communicate with - I know you went on the Radiance and you like the Mariner's layout better - but I prefer all the glass on the Radiance class ships - now I am looking forward to the Allure and I know you will like it too when you go on your cruise -

and yes, I will definitely take lots of notes and pics -

Carol

It sounds like it's a cute movie - I love Jennifer Garner - please tell us all about it -

I can just see you with a sombrero on and a Large drink in your hand!! Carol

A drink of the day would be perfect.....But my grandson wouldn't go to the movie because of the Colorado movie shooting. His mom and me tried but he isn't ready yet, so we went shoe shopping! Guess the news is too scarey for kids!

A drink of the day would be perfect.....But my grandson wouldn't go to the movie because of the Colorado movie shooting. His mom and me tried but he isn't ready yet, so we went shoe shopping! Guess the news is too scarey for kids!

I have to say I understand that fear.

Maybe you can just rent a movie for now - have the works as far as snax- I am a little scared also re: going to a theater for now - sad. Corkey

Hi All!

My thanks to all of the warm welcomes and b-day wishes. My actual birthday is 24 Aug (this Friday). In my mind it is a holiday so I NEVER work on that day. I plan to go to our state fair; I live in MN and it is quite large and quite the event. Lots of 'food on a stick' and nothing that is good for you but it all tastes great!

I'd like to hear about the movie '...Timothy Green', it looks good and I also like Jennifer Garner. Talk later.........

Hi All!

My thanks to all of the warm welcomes and b-day wishes. My actual birthday is 24 Aug (this Friday). In my mind it is a holiday so I NEVER work on that day. I plan to go to our state fair; I live in MN and it is quite large and quite the event. Lots of 'food on a stick' and nothing that is good for you but it all tastes great!

I'd like to hear about the movie '...Timothy Green', it looks good and I also like Jennifer Garner. Talk later.........

Is that why you are cruising on the 24th Next yr ? your big holiday get away!! good for you!! corkey carol

I love this thread. My husband is almost 65 and retired, I am 63 and have two more years to work. We were high school sweethearts (ages 15 and 18). Been married for 44 years. I have to tell my Senior Cruise story to people that appreciate it.

We were on the Magic out of Galveston in Feb 2012. We sat home Memorial Day, July 4th he was helping move our son and daughter-in-law to Phoenix. So I firmly informed him that WE WOULD NOT sit home over Labor Day. I started looking and found a real reasonable senior rate for a balcony on the Triumph 5 day cruise. Carnival would assign us our room, but I did not care, just get me on a ship. Well less than 1 month later we get our room assignment and it is an aft extended balcony! It would have cost us about $400 more originally. I am thrilled!! That's why I love being a senior.

Is that why you are cruising on the 24th Next yr ? your big holiday get away!! good for you!! corkey carol

Yup! I usually end up celebrating my b-day for a good week anyways...what better way than on a cruise! I may be starting another b-day tradition.

Yup! I usually end up celebrating my b-day for a good week anyways...what better way than on a cruise! I may be starting another b-day tradition.

We tend to cruise end of Oct or beginning of Nov cuz his birthday is Oct 11 and I am NOv 2 -- to celebrate our special days - there were times we would sail on Oct and then again in Nov -

I celebrate all month - longer... ha!ha!

Corkey Carol

I love this thread. My husband is almost 65 and retired, I am 63 and have two more years to work. We were high school sweethearts (ages 15 and 18). Been married for 44 years. I have to tell my Senior Cruise story to people that appreciate it.

We were on the Magic out of Galveston in Feb 2012. We sat home Memorial Day, July 4th he was helping move our son and daughter-in-law to Phoenix. So I firmly informed him that WE WOULD NOT sit home over Labor Day. I started looking and found a real reasonable senior rate for a balcony on the Triumph 5 day cruise. Carnival would assign us our room, but I did not care, just get me on a ship. Well less than 1 month later we get our room assignment and it is an aft extended balcony! It would have cost us about $400 more originally. I am thrilled!! That's why I love being a senior.

Sounds great!! welcome to this fun thread! I love everyone I have met already - I am looking forward to your labor day cruise stories!! Corkey Carol