new yorkers help with hotel

mr.jdm

We are planning on taking the Caribbean Princess oct 13 sailing. For pre-cruise hotel we will stay on an airport hotel as our flight is coming in at 10pm. Now our real problem is our post cruise hotel. The cruise ends october 20. we plan to stay in new york for 2 days and do some touristy stuff. So far looking at hotwire it seems like downtown soho financial district are coming with in our price range. any thoughts on that area? we would like to find a place close to the hop on hop off bus would make things really easy for us.

so far its showing the following hotels:

4* downtown soho 85% recommended @ 216/night

3* downtown soho 85% recommended with free internet/bfast @ 186

unless someone can steer us to a different area to look at,

our budget for hotel is somewhere 180-250/night. as long as the place is convenient to do the touristy stuff..

thanks in advance

In NYC, the touristy stuff is spread out--as long as you're near a subway stop, you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend the HOHO bus--it involves lots of time sitting in traffic.

We like Priceline to get good hotel prices.

What do you want to do in New York? Downtown is convenient for the Statue of Liberty, 911 memorial, Wall St., and South Street Seaport. It is also closer to the Princess terminal in Brooklyn.

All the subways that go to various parts of midtown are within a few blocks in downtown Manhattan so you can get anywhere you want in midtown. Just remember that wherever you book a hotel in Manhattan, at some point you will have to travel to get somewhere else.

Look at betterbidding to see if you can figure out what hotel you would get. I think the 3* hotel could be one of the Holiday Inns.

ok thanks for the reply's. what do you guys think of the soho financial district? anything to do at night or at least places to eat?

also car service, from newark to cruise port so far i've come up with carmel and dial 7 or better to take taxi? i just said car service as they are flat rate? better off if we do get stuck in traffic?

Princess should have transfers from Newark which could be competitively priced. Otherwise you have to take a car service - Newark cabs can charge you whatever they like and they probably won't even know how to get to the terminal in Brooklyn.

Archived