Just Returned From Viking Odin Romantic Danube

Wendalla

This was our first river cruise, and while we were prepared that it was going to be much different than ocean cruising (we've sailed extensively on Oceania, Celebrity, Seabourn and back in the day, Royal Viking), we were nevertheless a bit anxious about how we would like river cruising, both before we booked the trip and mainly after we booked it for a number of reasons, especially after reading some negative reviews on Cruise Critic. My concerns included, but were not limited to:

1. The cabin. The only cabin available at the time of booking was the one with the window (no French balcony or veranda), and we are used to having a veranda on ocean cruises.

2. The food in general and the ability to accommodate my husband's vegan diet.

3. The chance of being bused from one stop to another, or not docking near the city.

4. The lack of a fitness room (we are both 50 and we exercise quite extensively at home).

5. Feeling regimented and rushed.

We selected the Odin because we saw the Longship video and thought it had a "yacht like", upscale feel to it in terms of the decor, and we especially thought the Aquavit Terrace would appeal to us. We also preferred the Viking Danube itinerary over Uniworld's and others.

The result: My husband is not very particular, but I am, and I have to say that the entire trip exceeded my expectations. Overall, the decor was beautiful and the ship had a very open and airy feeling. The Aquavit Terrace, as I suspected, was the outstanding feature for me, allowing us to sit and eat outdoors, particularly when the sky deck was closed due to low bridges. The crew was exceptional, particularly Marta (the restaurant manager), Thomas (the chef), Joe (the program director), the girls at the reception, and our cabin stewardess. There were also nice touches, such as a little treat to eat or drink when arrived back on the ship after a morning of tours.

With regard to my concerns listed above:

1. The cabin was smaller than we expected but I thought it was laid out well and we had no trouble navigating, even while getting dressed. I thought I would miss not having a chair, but I really did not. There was a little makeup chair if we needed it for sitting, but we ended up not using it. The storage space was enough for us, even with the "bump" in the closet (and we definitely over packed!). The bathroom was fine (although the shower flooded a few times) and the shower had a clothes line which came in handy. Further, since we were not in our cabin much at all, the lack of a balcony (French or otherwise) really was not an issue. Would it have been nice to have a veranda, which was our first preference? Yes, but really after being in the cabin a day or two, given the difference in price, for us in the end, we didn't think it was worth the the extra money, particularly on an 8-day cruise.

2. The food was very good (I was pleasantly surprised). l read a comment about the portions being too small. I found the starters to be a bit small, but it was not problem to order more of one or even a variety of them. Others we dined with did the same. We did not find the entree sizes small at all, but again I saw others order a variety. Most importantly the restaurant manager, Marta, bent over backwards to make sure there was something for my husband to eat. If there was nothing on the lunch or dinner menu that could be adjusted to meet his dietary requirements, chef Thomas would make a vegan dish especially for him that excellent. The dining room was nice, although I have to agree with an early post that it was difficult to hear our table mates talk. We were practically shouting. However, we somewhat got used to that too.

3. We were able to dock in each city which was great.

4. I still would have liked a fitness room, but believe it or not my husband and I walked about 12 miles a day while in port (we clocked 19 miles in Regensburg) so in reality I am not sure how much more exercise I would have wanted, but I am sure I would have used it one or two times.

5. We found we had plenty of time in each city. I should also mention that we did not do all the tours provided as we prefer to explore on our own. However, the city tours we did take were good.

So, yes, we were pleased with Viking and actually are about to book a Rhine cruise on another longship this week.

If anyone has questions, I am happy to answer them as I will be on-line for the next day or so before heading back to work.

Wendy

You touched on (and addressed) an important point that has troubled many of us who have booked their first Viking cruise. That is the general notion, expressed over and over on this Board, that Tauck is number one, AMA, Avalon, and Uniworld are all tied for second position, and Viking is a distant third (or fifth, depending on how you count it).

This was our first river cruise, and while we were prepared that it was going to be much different than ocean cruising (we've sailed extensively on Oceania, Celebrity, Seabourn and back in the day, Royal Viking), we were nevertheless a bit anxious about how we would like river cruising, both before we booked the trip and mainly after we booked it for a number of reasons, especially after reading some negative reviews on Cruise Critic. My concerns included, but were not limited to:

1. The cabin. The only cabin available at the time of booking was the one with the window (no French balcony or veranda), and we are used to having a veranda on ocean cruises.

3. The chance of being bused from one stop to another, or not docking near the city.

4. The lack of a fitness room (we are both 50 and we exercise quite extensively at home).

We selected the Odin because we saw the Longship video and thought it had a "yacht like", upscale feel to it in terms of the decor, and we especially thought the Aquavit Terrace would appeal to us. We also preferred the Viking Danube itinerary over Uniworld's and others.

The result: My husband is not very particular, but I am, and I have to say that the entire trip exceeded my expectations. Overall, the decor was beautiful and the ship had a very open and airy feeling. The Aquavit Terrace, as I suspected, was the outstanding feature for me, allowing us to sit and eat outdoors, particularly when the sky deck was closed due to low bridges. The crew was exceptional, particularly Marta (the restaurant manager), Thomas (the chef), Joe (the program director), the girls at the reception, and our cabin stewardess. There were also nice touches, such as a little treat to eat or drink when arrived back on the ship after a morning of tours.

1. The cabin was smaller than we expected but I thought it was laid out well and we had no trouble navigating, even while getting dressed. I thought I would miss not having a chair, but I really did not. There was a little makeup chair if we needed it for sitting, but we ended up not using it. The storage space was enough for us, even with the "bump" in the closet (and we definitely over packed!). The bathroom was fine (although the shower flooded a few times) and the shower had a clothes line which came in handy. Further, since we were not in our cabin much at all, the lack of a balcony (French or otherwise) really was not an issue. Would it have been nice to have a veranda, which was our first preference? Yes, but really after being in the cabin a day or two, given the difference in price, for us in the end, we didn't think it was worth the the extra money, particularly on an 8-day cruise.

2. The food was very good (I was pleasantly surprised). l read a comment about the portions being too small. I found the starters to be a bit small, but it was not problem to order more of one or even a variety of them. Others we dined with did the same. We did not find the entree sizes small at all, but again I saw others order a variety. Most importantly the restaurant manager, Marta, bent over backwards to make sure there was something for my husband to eat. If there was nothing on the lunch or dinner menu that could be adjusted to meet his dietary requirements, chef Thomas would make a vegan dish especially for him that excellent. The dining room was nice, although I have to agree with an early post that it was difficult to hear our table mates talk. We were practically shouting. However, we somewhat got used to that too.

4. I still would have liked a fitness room, but believe it or not my husband and I walked about 12 miles a day while in port (we clocked 19 miles in Regensburg) so in reality I am not sure how much more exercise I would have wanted, but I am sure I would have used it one or two times.

5. We found we had plenty of time in each city. I should also mention that we did not do all the tours provided as we prefer to explore on our own. However, the city tours we did take were good.

So, yes, we were pleased with Viking and actually are about to book a Rhine cruise on another longship this week.

If anyone has questions, I am happy to answer them as I will be on-line for the next day or so before heading back to work.

Wendy

Dear Wendy,

Welcome back from your cruise! Thank you for sharing this detailed review of your experience. We’re confident that your next cruise along the Rhine will be just as great.

We look forward to having you and your husband on board again soon!

Sincerely,

Viking River Cruises

Thanks, Wendy. You addressed an issue my husband I have with Viking's new longboats - the lack of fitness centers and bikes on board. Okay, maybe we can do without the fitness center with all the walking one does, but the lack of bikes, or at least bike tours in some ports, was a deal breaker for us. We are in our fifties and very active. We chose AMA for our Tulip Time cruise and the bike excursions were a highlight. We're looking at France for next year, and definitely want biking involved. By the way, we did Viking in China and loved it, so we are Viking fans.

Thanks, Wendy, for the thorough review.

If it is the same Marta we had as a restaurant manager several years ago on Viking, then we would wholeheartedly agree with your positive assessment.

My wife has food issues and Marta was the best in dealing with them in our river cruise experiences. Too bad it's apparently not possible to know ahead of time her ship assignment.

Thanks, Wendy. You addressed an issue my husband I have with Viking's new longboats - the lack of fitness centers and bikes on board. Okay, maybe we can do without the fitness center with all the walking one does, but the lack of bikes, or at least bike tours in some ports, was a deal breaker for us. We are in our fifties and very active. We chose AMA for our Tulip Time cruise and the bike excursions were a highlight. We're looking at France for next year, and definitely want biking involved. By the way, we did Viking in China and loved it, so we are Viking fans.

Hi NanciEA,

Yes, bikes would be nice as an option for those who do not want to take a morning or afternoon tour, and who are athletically inclined. Along the Danube there always seemed to be a bike path with many bikers and I thought how nice it would be to be able to ride. However, I don't know that I would like to ride on anything other than somewhat of a flat surface. I was watching folks from other tours trying to navigate the cobblestone streets in many of the cities and it didn't look like fun. I think bikes, or a fitness center, or even hiking excursions, would attract a younger demographic or those who want a bit more exercise and want to see a city in a different way. I know others for whom this would "seal the deal" relative to booking a Viking Cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your informative review. We will be on the Odin, Dec 8, with pre and post. Can you review the excursions you found worthwhile? I have also been reading that the Danube is having draught problems. I am concerned since I would not like to be bused. Any additional comments would be appreciated. Is anyone else on the Dec 8 from Nuremberg to Budapest? Thanks, Judy

• 6 months later...

Great review Wendy! My wife and I took the Odin's third voyage, the Danube Waltz from Passau to Budapest this past April. The service and the food were top notch. The crew could not have been more attentive if they tried. Karl the chef was an amazing guy.

Already booked the City of Lights trip for 2014. Can't wait!!!

We are booked on the Idi ( amsterdam to Budapest) in 2014. Could you tell us if you had an American voltage plug in the stateroom. ( particularly is it in the bedroom area?) While we can use the European plug for our Apple products we have a couple of chargers that only run on 110.

Thanks.

We are booked on the Idi ( amsterdam to Budapest) in 2014. Could you tell us if you had an American voltage plug in the stateroom. ( particularly is it in the bedroom area?) While we can use the European plug for our Apple products we have a couple of chargers that only run on 110.

Thanks.

Yes American (and Canadian eh) voltage plugs in the staterooms. We were on the Njord in Dec. We charged up our Apple products directly into plug no problem. The plug is by a narrow 'desk' so convenient for charging. We took a European 'adapter' but had no need of it.

Yes American (and Canadian eh) voltage plugs in the staterooms. We were on the Njord in Dec. We charged up our Apple products directly into plug no problem. The plug is by a narrow 'desk' so convenient for charging. We took a European 'adapter' but had no need of it.

Thanks so much for the info. I wasn't sure anyone would see this since this is such an old thread.

Great review Wendy! My wife and I took the Odin's third voyage, the Danube Waltz from Passau to Budapest this past April. The service and the food were top notch. The crew could not have been more attentive if they tried. Karl the chef was an amazing guy.

Already booked the City of Lights trip for 2014. Can't wait!!!

Hi! We're about to do your identical cruise on Viking in a month, in April, and I would love to get more info from you, especially about the weather during the trip, the clothes you and your wife chose (what worked well, what didn't), anything about the optional excursions (or regular ones)...so if you read this, please write back! Thanks!

We did this trip on the Odin last May. It was wonderful in ever respect. Take a jacket that is rain resistant just in case and a pair of light weight gloves. Viking furnishes umbrellas. We only had a small amount of rain one day. We did the optional Mozart concert in Vienna. It was much "lighter" than I expected and very enjoyable. Karl, our fabulous chef, offered to take up to 12 of us into Vienna in the afternoon to market shop with him for cheeses, etc. that was SO much fun. We did the optional Danube River gorge excursion and it was nothing special. We loved everything about the trip.

All of the regular excursions were great. They lasted about 3 hours and the local guides were all very good. We usually had some free time to explore on our own. Viking took very good care of all of us. The ship is very nice. Loved the aquavit terrace. Have fun.

And by the way...dress is casual. Men don't need jackets. I saw jeans and even shorts on excursions weather permitting. I doubt it will be warm enough for shorts in April. Most people wore something other than jeans to dinner but there was no "rule".

Archived