Suitcases on Alilaguna

kruzgal

We are trying to decide between using the Alilaguna service for our transfer from Marco Polo Airport to our hotel, or the ATVO bus to P. Roma Our hotel is near P.Roma and the bus would seem slightly easier but I quite fancy the idea of arriving by boat - it just seems more appropriate! On the Alilaguna service what happens to your suitcases? Can you keep them with you so that you can keep an eye on them or are they out of sight? Our stop will be the last one if we take the blue line and I would be nervous of someone walking off with our cases pre cruise - not a good start to the holiday. Thanks:)

If I recall, people left large suitcases up near the entrance of the boat in a large area with one person left to stand nearby to keep an eye or if there were seats available near the front took them with them. If you only have a roll on and a tote (airplane carry on) then take them to your seats. Otherwise you'll probably need to leave them near the doorway. If this is how you plan on getting to your hotel I'd pack light. How will you get from the hotel to the ship?

I used the Alilaguna a few years ago and was a little nervous about this too. The attendant takes your luggage and piles all the luggage one on top of the other. I did my best to try to keep an eye out. Everything worked out and nothing was lost. I have never heard of anyone reporting losing their luggage on the Alilaguna.

That being said, your trip to your hotel will probably take about two hours (15 euros). Whereas, the bus to Piazzale Roma (5 euros) takes about 20 minutes. I think you can get your fill of being on the water by riding the vaporetto system up and down the Grand Canal and to the outer islands once you drop your luggage off at the hotel. Enjoy Venice. There is no other place like it.

We always use the fast and inexpensive express ATVO bus to get to the P. Roma (we usually book the Ca Doge hotel located only a few hundred feet from the bus stop). The thought of getting off a long overseas flight, having to drag our luggage all the way down to the Alilaguna pier, and then spending 1 1/2 - 2 hours getting into Venice is just not an attractive option for us. The ATVO bus stop is very conveniently located right outside the airport door (on the taffic island) and they leave about every 20 min with plenty of underneath luggage storage.

Hank

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I think we have decided to just go with the bus. It will be easier and we will have 3 days of catching the vaparetto before our cruise departs - plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere without having to worry about our luggage.Thanks everyone- brilliant advice as usual!

Archived