Snuba Cayman Islands?

lizjoemom

• 1 month later...

We did the snuba a couple years ago while sailing on the Mariner (shows you how long ago).

When we arrived at port, we met at the designated area.

We were transported to the beach by taxi cab.

There we could purchase a locker for about 5 bucks for our towels and valuables.

Took some concrete stairs down to the beach and about 15 of us entered a breifing area where we signed waivers and listened to an orientation.

Were shown how to use regulators, fitted with masks, fins, and weighted belts.

Walked to the shore, put on masks, walked backwards with fins on hooked on regulators and off we went tethered to the raft above with the oxygen supply.

Slowly as a group, but enough room to swim, we went out from shore underwater, and did an oblang route shore a little further out.

At the deepest point I think if you wanted you could have gone down about 20 feet.

The day we did it you could see clearly.

The people that ran the excursion had place some interesting stuff underwater that if you had a underwater camera you would have gotten some neat pictures. Some fish around, nothing dangerous.

Got back to shore, and tripped getting out at the beach. Stupid me should have taken fins off, or walked backwards.

Went to locker, got stuff, cabs waiting (included in fee), back to port.

Would I do it again.

No, it was good for the first time learning to use a regulator, but, my DH who scuba's was bored. DD wanted more.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

We did it a few years ago and I hated it. I'd rather dive or snorkel. It's about as much work as getting ready for a resort dive course, which is fun and much more free. When you snuba you are tethered to a zodiac boat above your head that holds the tank and your air line goes into the water. The problem is one boat holds probably five tanks so you are restricted in your movements to avoid tangling. If you are brave enough to snuba, you can do a resort dive. Just my opinion. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Our excursion was as pp described - off the shore a bit in the bay. The day we were there, Bill Gates' yacht was anchored just ahead of where we dove. Nice digs.

Archived