Love some insurance help, please!

My husband and I cruise every summer, and we always buy trip insurance. Our main concern has always been trip cancellation insurance due to an elderly mother's poor health.

We now have another issue, and want to be sure we purchase the correct insurance at the correct time. I have a mild heart condition that could interupt our vacation. Since it's been diagnosed, I know I need to now purchase trip insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.

My questions are....

---When must I purchase this insurance? Since we book a year in advance, do I need to buy the insurance when I make the initial deposit? I would only be able to insure the cost of the cruise at that time and not airfare.

---I'm not sure about the 180 days clause. Since this is an ongoing condition, is that important to us?

--Would insurance with a pre-existing condition cover costs of medical treatment on the ship and possibly needing treatment at a hospital? What about a med-evac??

I really appreciate your help! Once I decide on a policy, I will be sure to also ask these questions of the insurance agent. It's just nice to have some idea before I purchase the insurance! Thanks so much for any help you can offer us!

First question is what country are you from. This is important due to laws and regulations of that country.

Second, Might want to try this link to help better understand

http://www.travelinsurancebasics.com/howmuch.php

Third, to waive any pre existing conditions clause,, MOST (not all) providers require that you purchase insurance within 14 to 21 days of initial deposit.

Fourth, No travel insurance is going to pay your bills for you for the most part. Ships infirmarys are not set up to bill insurance companies nor are alot of medical providers where you may be cruising to. YOU will have to pay the bill upfront, and then file for reimbursement when you return.

There are exceptions to this though. Medical evacuation will be paid directly to the provider (providing YOU follow all the rules spelled out in the policy you receive). Also, some providers will provide an up front payment if required by the healthcare provider for major medical treatment. (we're talking life saving measures here, not strains, sprains, and stitches.

---I'm not sure about the 180 days clause. Since this is an ongoing condition, is that important to us?

If you meet the plan's requirements for the waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion then the "180 day clause" (or 60 or 90 or whatever the plan has) also is waived. It no longer matters to you.

It is important to purchase travel insurance eligible for sale in your country of residence.

Just to correct the above post, travel insurance from Europe and other regions works differently than travel insurance in the United States.

If your medical travel insurance is serviced by one of the large international assistance companies (EuropAssistance, Mondiale Assistance, Allianz, ERV, etc.) and you call them before simply showing up at a hospital or emergency room, in 99% of cases, they will tell you which hospitals and emergency rooms accept their payment guarantee (usually the best hospitals in any given city in the world). You choose the hospital (or accept the company's suggestion), and the insurance servicer then sends vía e-mail a payment guarantee to the hospital or emergency room which is waiting for you before you even get there. If you follow this system, you do not have to pay anything (as long as your policy has full coverage and is not subject to any deductibles).

The reasoning behind this is basically the way Europeans are accustomed to consuming healthcare. If you take a population of 300-400 million people that are not used to paying for healthcare at home, the system would then be awkward for European insurers to make them pay and file for reimbursement when an emergency occurs abroad. Also, European insurance is not subject to all those conditions in the United States about whether your insurance is primary or secondary, etc.

So it is very important to know your country of residence and it is important to purchase a product licensed for sale in that country.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

• 1 month later...

Archived