Rome hotel - Golden, Sonya, or Nerva?

saffy12

My mind is boggled trying to decide on a hotel to stay at in Rome for 2 nights before our upcoming (November) cruise.

Some background, I will be travelling with my parents, both of whom have some mobility issues (my mom has RA so she gets in pain and a lot of walking is difficult for her and my dad has back problems that basically prevent him from going up stairs, and also limit his stamina). On top of that, we have basically 24 hours of flying before we get to Rome (well 14 hours flight + 10 hour time change), so we will be pretty tired when we arrive, which will make their mobility issues worse.

This is the first time any of us will be in Europe, though, so we want to see and explore as much of the city as we can. We arrive mid-afternoon (plan to be at the hotel around 5pm) so will have that evening to do very leisurely sight seeing (like, short walk someplace to grab dinner then back to the hotel). We have the entire next day in the city (and are already planning a tour with Rome in Limo, to make sure we get the sights in with them), then board the boat the day after.

So, we're looking for a hotel for those 2 nights. We want to be as budget - friendly as possible, but at the same time, I want to be somewhat central so in the evenings, we can walk somewhere and not feel stranded at the hotel, and given my parents' mobility issues, what is a short walk to some can be quite a hike to them.

All of that said, we are considering the Hotel Golden, Hotel Nerva, and Hotel Sonya. All get decent reviews on TripAdvisor, and I think I would go with the Golden, but it sounds like it's a little more out of the way than the others, so I'm second guessing myself. Has anyone stayed at or seen more than 1 of these hotels, to make a comparison? Anyone with some mobility concerns stayed at Hotel Golden to reassure me that we won't feel stranded there and will have enough to see within a short walking distance of the hotel to make it a good choice?

Thank you!

I haven't stayed at Hotel Golden, but I have stayed at both Hotel Nerva and Hotel Sonya. Given the things you mention, I'll try to give a comparison.

Hotel Sonya -- the facilities themselves are nice. The hotel does have an elevator. Be forewarned that while the check in desk is on the ground floor, the floors that are occupied by the hotel are several floors up. There is an elevator (the old, cage kind -- like many in Europe).

The area around the hotel is a plus/minus. On the plus side, it is pleasant to walk around in the evening and there are many, many reasonable restaurants in the vicinity without having to go far. On the minus side, it isn't really that close to any of the iconic sights, and the neighborhood, while safe, isn't the most charming.

Hotel Nerva -- this hotel is tucked in behind the Imperial Forum of Nerva. It would be hard to ask for a better location if you are interested in the ancient sites of Rome (the Colosseum, the Forum, Trajan's column and market, the Capitoline Museum, etc all within easy walking distance and most of them are lit up at night, by the way). There are also lots of restaurants nearby -- try to avoid the ones that are closest to the Colosseum if you want something more reasonably priced (and generally speaking, better food). One favorite restaurant of mine in the area is the Taverna dei Fori Imperiali. Unpretentious and delicious.

Nerva is a homey sort of hotel; it's not grand and some of the rooms haven't been redecorated in a while. However, it is clean and has a wonderful breakfast included. The owners and staff are very friendly. It's been a couple of years since I stayed there -- I'm sure they have an elevator but I seem to recall that you have to go up a few steps to get to it.

Of these two hotels, I would definitely recommend Hotel Nerva unless your prime objective was to be close to the train station for onward travel.

Thank you for the response! No, I think we're going to avoid trains - especially if we stay somewhere close to the other sights.

It sounds like Nerva is going to be the best of those 2 options, then... I'm still not sure about Golden, though. I especially like that it is non-smoking, but am concerned about the distance from anything we'll want to see - especially in the afternoon when we arrive. If anyone else has any opinions, I'd love to hear them!

I agree, Golden is out of the way.

I would really try to concentrate on the Pantheon/Trevi/Piazza Navonna area since your parents have mobility issues.

The Hotel Santa Chiara is right behind the Pantheon facing the Piazza della Minerva which is a very very nice area. It is a 3 star and is in the $ 95-150.00 a night range. Anything less than that and I don't think you will be very happy with the accommodations.

Here is the link to the hotel.

http://www.venere.com/hotels/rome/hotel-santa-chiara/

We stayed at Hotel Golden for 3 nights a couple years ago. It is a wonderful hotel with an elevator (but 2 steps are required before you get to it.) It is in a clean, safe, quiet location with a great breakfast. The family that runs it is fabulous. The restaurants in the area are expensive. To us, the location felt 'too nice' and didn't have the Rome ambiance we desired.

DH has mobility issues, so I can relate to your questions. There really isn't much to see within a short walk of Hotel Golden. However, there is a taxi stand a block or so away. If you stay there, I'd recommend taking a taxi to see any sites the day you arrive.

Since you're only there 2 nights and you already have a tour planned for the full day, I wouldn't rule out Hotel Golden.

We have since returned to Rome twice for 2+ weeks each time. We stay at a hotel near the Vatican which is a much better location for us.

Archived