Food Help..Gastric Bypass

DnR

So I will be having gastric bypass surgery in October and cruising during Christmas for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. We are hoping that my bypass will eliminate my diabetes (right now, about 90% of people having bypass TOTALLY eliminate the need for insulin!)

We plan on taking them to the steakhouse and was thinking about the Chef's table. I will be 10 weeks post-op and will be able to eat regular food, but of course not much. If I go to the steakhouse, does anyone know if I have to pay the $35 if I'm not eating a regular meal. I will probably just be picking from my husband and mothers plate since i can't eat more than a 1/2 cup of food. Do you know if there are children's portions?

Anyone been through bypass and cruise? Any helpful hints or suggestions?

Both the Steakhouse and the Chef's Table are flat rate. It is up to you if you eat the food provided or not. For the Chef's Table you can within reason make special request but the price will be the same. Many sacrifices and adjustments to your life style are required to make the surgery work for you. Good Luck to you in your quest for good health.

Good luck with your Bypass. My sister had it about 8 yrs ago and it elminated her diabetes. Lots of work to keep it up. So I understand your problem. I would call the special needs dept. and explain the issue. They may be able to help you on this. They will probably want a note from you doctor but I believe most drs give you one anyways with the surgery. It can't hurt to ask. On the Chef's table I would think they couldn't do much for that. Since there is a very limited number of seats for this and it includes the whole experience. But the Steakhouse they should be able to do something (IMHO).

Thanks! I want to be included in the festivities, but know that I will have to prepare not be. I am making the choice to become healthier, but I don't want to deprive myself of the experiences.

They are not going to change the price and they will not let you just eat from someone elses plate. I would go to the Chef before hand and ask that some appetizers be prepared that are friendly for you to consume...those would be soups and soft items.

I would also decline all the little chef bites that they send out before hand.

I wouldn't eat the salad (to filling) but would opt for a soup or two. I find that eating fish is the easiest choice for me. When I 1st had my bypass shrimp was one of the early choices that never caused me any trouble.

Also, stay away from the bread.....even 10 years later I'm reluctant to eat bread and butter before my meal.

My typical dinner meal is soup for an appetizer, fish with soft vegetables for my entree and pudding or sherbet for dessert.

I had the gastric sleeve done in February and am cruising on the Glory soon. I will let you know when I get back if I have any insights into eating on a cruise after bariatric surgery. I joke with my family that my cruise fare should be cut in half since I won't be eating too much.

I had gastric bypass Rny on 2/25/10, so almost two and a half years ago. I have cruised 3 times since then. I went from 300 pounds to 116, and i have had a baby. What I do is just take a bite of food from the buffet line and put it on my plate of whatever I want. That way I get to sample everything and get full. Also try their diet cakes they are awesome, and I don't dump on them. I did take one lick of their ice cream on board and dumped really bad from it.

This has nothing to do with cruising post gastric bypass surgery, but please consider wearing a medic alert bracelet or necklace. I'm an ER nurse and people who have had gastric bypass surgery need to have some sort of identifier on them in case of emergency. Just in case you aren't able to talk and give your history, emergency personnel need to know not to put a nasogastric tube down.

Sorry for taking the thread on a slight tangent.

I cruised 3 months after my bypass surgery and was very concerned. All was well. I stayed away from beef and had a taste of DH's desserts. I have talked to Carnival about those that have had bypass and the fee for the steakhouse. I think the more people put it out there, they might see a need. Hope it works out for you.

So I will be having gastric bypass surgery in October and cruising during Christmas for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. We are hoping that my bypass will eliminate my diabetes (right now, about 90% of people having bypass TOTALLY eliminate the need for insulin!)

We plan on taking them to the steakhouse and was thinking about the Chef's table. I will be 10 weeks post-op and will be able to eat regular food, but of course not much. If I go to the steakhouse, does anyone know if I have to pay the $35 if I'm not eating a regular meal. I will probably just be picking from my husband and mothers plate since i can't eat more than a 1/2 cup of food. Do you know if there are children's portions?

Well, I am 2 years out (1 year of maintaining) and I strongly urge you NOT to go to the steakhouse. I know everyone is different, but I couldn't eat regular food for about 6 months. Please be aware that even though your surgeon and/or nutritionist might say in practicality you "should" be able to eat regular food, but your POUCH might dictate differently.

I wish someone would have told me what I'm telling you. The year of my surgery, I was so hoping to have it done and complete before our September cruise. Now I am so very thankful that the procedure was done AFTER this cruise. I was nauseous for 6 months because I kept trying to do what my surgeon told me to do--eat "regular" food.

Be prepared. Bring your protein (if you are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, I can tell you where to get some with a quick drive to Pompano Beach, which is what I do--I go and get a 12-pack from there and take it on the ship), be prepared to puree your food if your pouch dictates that to be so. I am not trying to discourage you but I think you really need to go into this with your eyes open and understand that your POUCH will rule your world for months and more than likely years to come. Steak is something that is still "iffy" for me. Sometimes I can have a few bites and other times I can't even swallow it, and I am nearly 2 years out!

I would hate for your cruise to be ruined by eating the wrong foods or pressure yourself to eat like everyone else. You will NOT be like everyone else as soon as you have your procedure! It will be forever different, and I am still learning what I can and cannot do/eat. Please be gentle with your pouch. It could take months for it to heal and accept "real" food.

Here is my picture. I have lost 175 lbs., have a normal BMI, have lost well more than 100" and have gone from a size 30 to a size 12. It is the BEST thing I have ever done, but it was a huge learning curve in patience with myself and RE-learning how to eat. I wish you well. Hopefully you will have a totally different view on food after the surgery--that's what happened to me--it was so bizarre. Wheeled into the surgery suite as a foodie and a fatty, and woke up not caring about food at all. Now, it is NOT about the food even still. Let me know if I can help. I have other resources if you would like to check them out--let me know :) P.S. My friend who also had Roux-en-Y surgery was diabetic and after surgery has never taken meds again. It's awesome!

20monthspost-opside.jpg

20monthspost-opfront.jpg

my opinion...Steakhouse would be a waste of money for you as you will only be able to eat a hand full if even that of food or you will be sick. I suggest EARLY dining as we had late dining on our first cruise 2 years ago and each night after supper my husband had to go lay down to let the food settle and he had his gastric bypass 7 years ago.

Good Luck!!!

Well, I am 2 years out (1 year of maintaining) and I strongly urge you NOT to go to the steakhouse. I know everyone is different, but I couldn't eat regular food for about 6 months. Please be aware that even though your surgeon and/or nutritionist might say in practicality you "should" be able to eat regular food, but your POUCH might dictate differently.

I wish someone would have told me what I'm telling you. The year of my surgery, I was so hoping to have it done and complete before our September cruise. Now I am so very thankful that the procedure was done AFTER this cruise. I was nauseous for 6 months because I kept trying to do what my surgeon told me to do--eat "regular" food.

Be prepared. Bring your protein (if you are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, I can tell you where to get some with a quick drive to Pompano Beach, which is what I do--I go and get a 12-pack from there and take it on the ship), be prepared to puree your food if your pouch dictates that to be so. I am not trying to discourage you but I think you really need to go into this with your eyes open and understand that your POUCH will rule your world for months and more than likely years to come. Steak is something that is still "iffy" for me. Sometimes I can have a few bites and other times I can't even swallow it, and I am nearly 2 years out!

I would hate for your cruise to be ruined by eating the wrong foods or pressure yourself to eat like everyone else. You will NOT be like everyone else as soon as you have your procedure! It will be forever different, and I am still learning what I can and cannot do/eat. Please be gentle with your pouch. It could take months for it to heal and accept "real" food.

Here is my picture. I have lost 175 lbs., have a normal BMI, have lost well more than 100" and have gone from a size 30 to a size 12. It is the BEST thing I have ever done, but it was a huge learning curve in patience with myself and RE-learning how to eat. I wish you well. Hopefully you will have a totally different view on food after the surgery--that's what happened to me--it was so bizarre. Wheeled into the surgery suite as a foodie and a fatty, and woke up not caring about food at all. Now, it is NOT about the food even still. Let me know if I can help. I have other resources if you would like to check them out--let me know :) P.S. My friend who also had Roux-en-Y surgery was diabetic and after surgery has never taken meds again. It's awesome!

20monthspost-opside.jpg

20monthspost-opfront.jpg

You look AMAZING!! Congratulations on regaining your health! I had Lapband surgery and I was wondering if you had to have skin removal surgery. If you'd rather not say, I completely understand. I'll be having my excess skin removed in about 6 months so I was curious how long the recovery period was. My cruise is 4 months after the surgery so I'm hoping I'll be healed and ready to go. Thanks for sharing your story. ~Michelle

I think you could do the chefs table - but not steakhouse

Do not indulge in the little bites during kitchen tour = maybe 1

the chefs table is about a 3 hour experience total - and the food is teeny tiny

so you should be able to take 2-3 small bites off each plate of what you realllly want to try

Its not extra rich or fattening --- it's frufru food with losts of carrot dust, olive dust, for colors, and flavors -

its rated a 6 by me because I'm verrrry picky eater, I would describe them as mini or micro portions

If you eat all that is offered and the wine and bread I really got almost to the point of overly full - but I concentrated on the bread while others were tasting things I couldn't bring myself to try

If small amounts is what you are going for - Chefs table is it --- I however, would move the surgery to after the cruise and have one last hurahhhh!

Good Luck!

This has nothing to do with cruising post gastric bypass surgery, but please consider wearing a medic alert bracelet or necklace. I'm an ER nurse and people who have had gastric bypass surgery need to have some sort of identifier on them in case of emergency. Just in case you aren't able to talk and give your history, emergency personnel need to know not to put a nasogastric tube down.

Sorry for taking the thread on a slight tangent.

Thank you! I had no idea. I will have to look into where to buy one.

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I am a type II diabetic and this is the real reason I am looking forward to doing this. I would love to wait until after the cruise, but I have another schedule for March, so I could continue to find reasons to put it off.

I really appreciate everyone's input and experiences. I'm feeling anxious and excited at the same time. I know my life will forever change and I am looking forward to it - but it is still scary.

DnR, after your surgery food is the last thing you will think about, you must get in the mind set now that food is to survive not to survive only on food.

I know it is easy for me to say but I had bariatric surgery in March 2012 and have dropped 156 lbs so far(I still have a long way to go starting at 600:eek:).

Believe me you will feel so much better and not want to risk going back to the old ways.

This coming cruise will be my second since VSG(sleeve) and picking through to the right foods is easier than you think, and the poster that advised against the steak house is totally right, it will be such a waste.

As for me 4 months out: sleep apnea gone, cholestoral normal, no more snoring, blood pressure normal, I can walk greater distances without being winded, store bought clothes fit(no more catalog king size orders) etc etc.

Big Craig...thank you for the input. I saw my nutritionist yesterday who told me the same thing - food is just fuel. My head knows this, but I am hoping my stomach will play along!

Congratulations on your loss and your lifestyle change!

Congratulations! I am 10 years out, and despite the inconveniences, am so glad I had surgery.

Happy cruising!

;)

Here is my picture. I have lost 175 lbs., have a normal BMI, have lost well more than 100" and have gone from a size 30 to a size 12. It is the BEST thing I have ever done, but it was a huge learning curve in patience with myself and RE-learning how to eat. I

20monthspost-opside.jpg

20monthspost-opfront.jpg

I was just reading this through and cannot believe how many people do this surgery.

It seems like everyone is doing it.

I worked with someone who was trying to gain an extra 15lbs so they can qualify.

I know 6 people who did it and 5 weigh more 1 year out than before the surgery.

What ever happened to just exercise and eating right?

You're very brave to go cruising that soon. At 10 weeks I was still mostly on protein shakes and just starting soft foods. I wouldn't cruise for at least 6 months following a major surgery like this. There are just too many risks.

I was just reading this through and cannot believe how many people do this surgery.

It seems like everyone is doing it.

I worked with someone who was trying to gain an extra 15lbs so they can qualify.

I know 6 people who did it and 5 weigh more 1 year out than before the surgery.

What ever happened to just exercise and eating right?

I've seen you post negative comments on this topic on different boards. Do you go looking for this topic just so you can be so negative?

Archived