Just off oasis eastern

We just got off Oasis yesterday. We did Allure last summer and loved both but did miss the Doghouse, iPod docks and electrical outlets on Allure.

PRECRUISE: Stayed at Embassy Suites.

SHOWS: Saw Oasis of Dreams, Hairspray, Come Fly and Comedy. We loved Oceanaria on Allure and were disappointed in Oasis of Dreams, which had less diving and action and too much slow, over dramatic stuff. Still a good show but not nearly as good as on Allure.

Hairspray was great, best show I've ever seen on a ship. So good I went back alone the next day for the afternoon show. Better than Chicago (which I loved) on Allure.

Come Fly With Me was great as well. Much better than Blue Planet and comedians were very funny. We skipped the Headliner when we saw it was the Abba tribute band. I stuck my head in for a few minutes and was glad we skipped.

FOOD: Did Giovanni's, Chops and Park 150. All were very good. Dining room food was average, as expected. We did MTD and all servers were friendly and good. Breakfasts were at Park Cafe or J. Rockets and were good. Lunches were at Park Cafe or Windjammer. I usually try to avoid W.J. but it was surprisingly good for lunch.

PORTS: Went to Sheraton in Nassau, which we loved. Just way too short time there. We took the #10 bus which was easy and fun. There is a stall in the port terminal (Linda's) that has great conch fritters.

In St. Thomas did the Sea Blaster snorkel trip which was pretty good and at St. Martin we took a taxi to Divi Little Bay which we loved. We've been to Orient Beach and I think it's way over rated.

MISC.: Lots of Quinceneras and the celebrants are as rude as has been previously reported, taking over passageways and staircases for pictures, cutting in line, etc. After a while it becomes funny. The comedians had some great lines about them.

The Cruise Director was Amy Fickert. I only bring this up because I have read discussions regarding her on these boards. I never really thought much about the C.D. until I had Graham Seymour on the Freedom a few years ago. He was hysterical and we always looked forward to his introductions and morning shows. Those of you who have experienced him or Richard Spacey know what I am talking about. (Check them out on youtube.) Last year we had Allan Brooks on the Allure. He wasn't that funny compared to Graham Seymour but was fun and did a great job on Love and Marriage and The Belly Flop. Having said all that, Amy, to put it bluntly, is awful. She is loud and shrill and becomes annoying after day 1. I don't know that I heard her say one funny or amusing thing all week. Yes, she is enthusiastic, but so is a 13 year old cheerleader, which is what we felt we were getting with Amy. We actually walked out of the Love and Marriage show (which we love) because it was boring and not funny). I don't understand how Royal gives her this position on one of their signature ships. Maybe she has naked pictures of the CEO. In any event, she certainly didn't ruin or detract from the cruise, but we did feel an enjoyable element was missing.

Overall, we had a great time, the crew was extremely friendly and I would not hesitate to book either ship again. Feel free to ask any questions.

MISC.: Lots of Quinceneras and the celebrants are as rude as has been previously reported, taking over passageways and staircases for pictures, cutting in line, etc. After a while it becomes funny. The comedians had some great lines about them.

Interesting. We were off Allure last week and I expected to see a lot more Quince celebrations. There were ~400 Brazilians onboard, and some of them celebrating with their daughters, but it didn't impact me much. I ran into some groups taking pictures but it was like any other family taking pics. One Brazilian girl did grab a bag out of my hands at the Coach blowout sale, though. Now that was rude :p I wonder if there is a critical number of Quinces that impacts the cruise.

Thanks for the nice review. Looking at doing Allure in October since did Oasis last year and enjoyed reading the comparisons. Letting the old pocket book heal from just coming of Splendour and Med cruise.

Dave

I was worried that the Oasis would feel old and not as finished as the Allure but other than those few items I mentioned you wouldn't know the difference.

We were on the same cruise and also sailed on Allure last year. I LOVED Hairspray. Chicago was good but I would book Oasis over Allure just to see Hairspray again. Also, loved Come Fly With Me. Very talented people!

Great review! Neptune18 and Kellum97 Thanks for your honest opinions about the shows. I know Hairspray is awesome from what I've seen online, but am worried about Oasis of Dreams. Cruise line entertainment can be great and sometimes it can be cheesy and embarrassing to watch. My group of 12 hasn't seen anything like that before, so not sure how they will like it. Hopefully Amy Fickert isn't on Oasis when we sail in December, she sounds like a dud. Several people have said she is no good.

As I said, I was disappointed in the aqua show as compared to the one on Allure. It is still unique and worth seeing. I would book it at night. It's great sitting out there on a beautiful night.

Forgot to mention was in balcony on deck 9 forward. Great location, one deck down to central park.

Thanks for the review! I've done both Oasis & Allure & decided to double back on the Oasis based on the entertainment! I agree it has the better shows! I wish you had seen the sand artists at the ice show. They are unbelievable!! Last time on the Oasis Richard Spacey was CD. So, I know Amy will be a let down. I'm hoping she'll be on vacation!;) We sail 9/29 so I'm sure she will still be there.:(

St. Martin we took a taxi to Divi Little Bay which we loved.

Enjoyed reading your review. I have a few questions about Divi Little Bay. Is there a bar? Are there chairs for rent? Did you make arrangement with the taxi for a return time?

Thank you,

Debbie

:)

As I said, I was disappointed in the aqua show as compared to the one on Allure. It is still unique and worth seeing. I would book it at night. It's great sitting out there on a beautiful night.

Forgot to mention was in balcony on deck 9 forward. Great location, one deck down to central park.

I think the "plot" was better on the Allure's aqua show but there were more dives done from the highest level on the show on the Oasis. The lame plot doesn't really bother me too much, I just like seeing all the dives.

The sand artist was amazing. Very mesmerizing. The ice show was good, I missed that one on the Allure so I can't compare. The man and woman in white at Oasis of Dreams were pretty awesome. I think she is the former contortionist who is also in the dive show but man, she is one of the most flexible people I've ever seen! Not in a creepy way either, she's very pretty, slender and very strong. Its crazy to think of doing some of the stunts they do with no harness holding not only their weight but that of another adult while flying so high above the crowd.

We were on deck 8, forward, portside

Debbie- There are chairs and umbrellas for rent, along with wave runners, kayaks, snorkels, etc. There is also a beach bar/restaurant with bathroom and showers. We didn't make arrangements for taxi as we didn't know when we were returning but plenty of taxis waiting there.

Did you use the flowrider on the Oasis? Someone has reported that the Flowrider staff on the Oasis are being very strict and not letting people try any tricks on the boogie boards and that it makes riding it rather boring. I am hoping that it was an isolated incident as my teens will not be happy if this is the case!

Yes, we rented it for the hour and it is true you are no longer permitted to do "tricks". The kids did the stand up surfing so still had fun. I was told that someone on another ship broke an ankle severely and that is why the new rules were instituted. I was also told that a zipline carriage was dropped to the boardwalk floor on the Allure and fortunately didn't hit anyone.

Yes, we rented it for the hour and it is true you are no longer permitted to do "tricks". The kids did the stand up surfing so still had fun. I was told that someone on another ship broke an ankle severely and that is why the new rules were instituted. I was also told that a zipline carriage was dropped to the boardwalk floor on the Allure and fortunately didn't hit anyone.

Thanks! This is disappointing, especially because those reporting from the other ships with flowriders haven't ran into these "new" rules.

We were on the same cruise and also sailed on Allure last year. I LOVED Hairspray. Chicago was good but I would book Oasis over Allure just to see Hairspray again. Also, loved Come Fly With Me. Very talented people!

Just had to post another opinion. Absolutely loved just about everything on the Oasis, just a sensational ship.

I thought the entertainment on the Oasis was very good.

However, I absolutely hated Hairspray. To me it was horrible torture.:eek: I liked nothing about it ... the wardrobe, the dancing, the music, the theme .... aaaaagh ..... hated it.

Well, one thing I did like .... THE END.

Archived