Vegan Cruiser

cruisebabe50

I'm not vegan, but I can't have dairy or gluten. On my Destiny cruise a couple weeks ago, I went to the dining room on the day of embarkation (they were open from 1-3pm). The hostess was very accommodating and took my order for that evening's meal. She kept saying that if I wanted something that wasn't on the menu, they'd be happy to make it for me.

Service was good, the staff was excellent, and they would take my order at dinner for the next night. I'd imagine the same is true for people with other dietary needs.

I was not so impressed with breakfast and lunch...you may be enjoying plenty of salads and fruit. I kept thinking how limited my choices would be if I couldn't eat meat or eggs either! My advice, pack some of your own food for those meals if you can. I took plenty of nuts and nut butters, my own bread, and some breakfast bars. It helped to round out what I was able to eat on the lido deck.

I believe (not 100% sure but someone will correct me) that a vegan diet is not considered a special diet (meaning special needs).

I know people have mentioned the India meals and how they like them and they are vegan :)

If I remember correctly, they do offer vegan choices at every meal in the MDR. I would agree though that you should take a few snack options for yourself onboard with you.:D

They offer a vegetarian choice nightly (which are quite tasty), not a vegan selection. Vegan dishes are hard to come by on any cruise line.

The previous poster is correct in that a vegan diet isn't considered a dietary need. I would still consult with the maitre'd upon boarding to examine your options.

The Indian meals each night are not Vegan, they are vegetarian. They have Paneer in them and yogurt sauces not to mention butter.

I agree with the other poster- go meet your maitre d when you board and make sure you speak to your head waiter. Good luck!!

Also this thread might be helpful- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1619011&highlight=vegan

You should be fine! Tell your waiter in the MDR he will set you up!

There are veggie burgers on the lido deck and the deli will make you a sandwich with veggies. Breakfast has lots of fruit, hash browns, various breads for toasting! My husband and I are vegetarians and have no problem eating. I would suggest bringing snacks though! We missed having something light to snack on!

There are veggie burgers on the lido deck and the deli will make you a sandwich with veggies. Breakfast has lots of fruit, hash browns, various breads for toasting! My husband and I are vegetarians and have no problem eating. I would suggest bringing snacks though! We missed having something light to snack on!

But the OP is a vegan, which is a little more selective (restrictive?) in their diet.

Not all veggie burgers are vegan some (Gardenburger) have egg whites in them. My step sister is vegan and has been living with us for the past 3 months and even here on land at the grocery store it is challenging to ensure that a product is truely vegan.

Most people don't know that Worchestershire Sauce has anchovies in it. Or that there is some form of animal byproducts (collogen, whey) in most hand lotions. And the most surprising to me was that there are only 2 margarines that are actually vegan.

Just got off the fascination last week....one of our party was vegan.......he asked the waiter for a vegan menu. Promptly....an associate came over with the menu. Our friend was shown several options, much to his satisfaction. He pre-ordered his meal for the next evening so it could be served with the rest of our meals. Carnival was very professional in supplying his wants. He was extremely happy with the variety and service. I sampled some of the various servings and thought they were very tasty, indeed!!!! I would advise to ask the staff early before dinner service about the vegan menu. Have a great vacation.:)

I enjoyed the Indian vegetarian selections. I think I had those about three times on the last cruise (due disinterest in other options or a decision to try something different that won't weird me out like that Didja menu). I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but meat dishes don't really excite me.

I too am Vegan and sailing next week on Carnival. Have been doing lots of research on it and from what I have found it should be relatively easy to find something to eat. From everything I've heard Carnival is the friendliest to vegans. I talked to my vacation planner about it and he said to simply go talk to the maitre'd when I get on board and everything would be taken care of for dinner- no problem!

For the other meals I think breakfast will be the hardest (oatmeal, fruit) from what I've read so I plan on bringing some extra snacks with me just in case. Lunch seems easy with plenty to choose from (vegan sushi, stir fry, paninis, etc.).

Here are a few of the articles and blog posts that I have found:

http://theveganmom.com/2011/05/25/all-aboard-a-vegan-family-on-a-carnival-cruise/

http://vegancrunk.blogspot.com/2010/11/vegan-dinner-on-carnival-cruise.html

http://the-vegan-tourist.tumblr.com/

Good luck!

I too am Vegan and sailing next week on Carnival. Have been doing lots of research on it and from what I have found it should be relatively easy to find something to eat. From everything I've heard Carnival is the friendliest to vegans. I talked to my vacation planner about it and he said to simply go talk to the maitre'd when I get on board and everything would be taken care of for dinner- no problem!

For the other meals I think breakfast will be the hardest (oatmeal, fruit) from what I've read so I plan on bringing some extra snacks with me just in case. Lunch seems easy with plenty to choose from (vegan sushi, stir fry, paninis, etc.).

Here are a few of the articles and blog posts that I have found:

http://theveganmom.com/2011/05/25/all-aboard-a-vegan-family-on-a-carnival-cruise/

http://vegancrunk.blogspot.com/2010/11/vegan-dinner-on-carnival-cruise.html

http://the-vegan-tourist.tumblr.com/

Good luck!

I hope you will do a review from a Vegans perspective when you return! Take lots of food pics :)

Archived