Best line for 2 and 5 year old boys?

Chigirlcruzin

Hello! If you have your signatures on, you can see I'm a pretty experienced cruiser. However, I don't have any children of my own, so I have no experience with the kids' clubs. We want to do a family cruise for my parents' 45 year anniversary next year. My nephews will be 2 and 5 when we sail (if we sail). I know Carnival would group the two boys together, which the boys would enjoy and would make my sister feel more at ease. However, although his brother was potty trained at 26 months, we can't count on the younger one to be trained, and he LOVES "swimming." I said that I think RCI Freedom class ships have a splash zone for the little ones, but they don't take kids in the clubs until age 3, right? My sister would like the boys to be able to go to camp together - she doesn't want the older one to feel like we're shipping him off (I know he doesn't have to attend the camps, but he'll want to be around other kids), and she doesn't want the younger one to feel left out. So, is there a line that suits our needs? An area for the little ones to play in the water on the ship as well as participate in the clubs? Or should we just find another vacation option? My sister has looked into Disney Cruise Lines and has ruled it out due to the cost. Plus, Disney has been their family vacation for the past few years, and she is a bit "Disney-ed out." Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

I'm pretty sure kids have to be 3+ to go to the camp on RCI. It's 2+ on Carnival. We chose Carnival for our next cruise for that reason because my 2 & a half year old will love going to Camp Carnival (she's very social).

We plan to take our first family cruise with Carnival for that very reason - our kids will be 2 & 4. And Carnival is the only line that I'm aware of (excluding Disney) that will take them both in the kid's club to play together and with new friends. We will be getting a balcony so that DH and I can relax outside on the balcony if kids need a nap or when going to bed early.

I am curious about the swimming issue with non-potty trained kiddos. Which Carnival ships have a wet zone for diapered kids? Any? We will probably limit the ship to one that includes this feature if available.

No Carnival ships have a splash zone for non-potty trained kids. I'm thinking cruising is not an option for us.

That's disappointing. I was hoping at least the brand new ships did. Oh well. We will still cruise! There will be lots of swimming for them in port!

Hi! I would definitely check with the hematologist regarding the hemophilia issue. Obviously the factor(s) to reverse it will not be available on the ship and you will not be close to a hospital with stuff to reverse bleeding.

Glad someone posted the tip about Carnival's kid club accepting 2 year olds... that was something I was not aware of!

Hi! I would definitely check with the hematologist regarding the hemophilia issue. Obviously the factor(s) to reverse it will not be available on the ship and you will not be close to a hospital with stuff to reverse bleeding.

Glad someone posted the tip about Carnival's kid club accepting 2 year olds... that was something I was not aware of!

My sister travels with the factor. He has a port, and my sister and BIL are experienced in administering it as he is on regular regimen to prevent breakthrough bleeds.

Carnival and NCL allow non potty trained 2 year olds into the kids club.

Carnival changes diapers for you and only calls if they need you.

NCL calls you to change the diapers.

Which system are you more comfortable with?

We went Carnival with 2 yo because of price over NCL and because of the more positive reviews Carnival got overall compared to NCL.

But price was the biggest reason.

After doing CCL and the fact the now 3 yo if not fully there yet in potty issues, its CCL this year with no hesitations.

The ccl camp carnival the kids loved. And the counselors were very good at least on this one ship.

No Carnival ships have a splash zone for non-potty trained kids. I'm thinking cruising is not an option for us.

Are you certain? I know that Carnival's newer ships i.e. the Magic has Water works Aqua Park. They may not allow diapers in the pools but they at least have the water spray/sprinkler features that should allow water play for the younger ones.

One ship that doesn't get mentioned very often on this board is the Epic. The Norwegian Epic was one of the best ships I've sailed in terms of the depth of family oriented activities on board. IMO probably second only to the Oasis class. I think DD was 3 though at the time and thus potty trained. So, I'm not sure about the diaper issue. However, I know they had a nice area water splash area, complete with a mini slide for the younger children. They also had the Nickelodeon cast Dora, Diego, SpongeBob etc. Your nephews will probably enjoy that even more.

I'm a picky mom (leftover from the days when I used to be a health inspector) :). I never liked pools where the water accumulated for diaper aged children. My experience was that they seldom passed inspection the first time. I didn't and still don't trust them. When DD was in diapers I purchased the inflatable duck pool and brought it with us on cruises. It is useful for baths in the cabin and you can bring it by the pool, fill it and they have a CONTAMINATE free place to splash. If you can sell your sister on that, it will open up a wider ship selection for you.

With a 2yr old, I'd choose Carnival- if you plan on using the Camp at all. RCCL you must be 3 to participate.

Ditto. I very much want to try RCCL, but I am waiting until DD is 3. As far as the swimming thing, Carival won't allow that if the child is not potty trained, but there is always the ports. Some people suggest a small blow up pool/bathtub for balcony but we didn't try it. We just avoided walking by the pool as much as possible.

No one here has mentioned Disney but they have a splash area for the non potty trained from what i recall. Also they have in room babysitting even for babies.

That said, I think Id rather take a cruise w almost no sea days and take advantage of the "kids club" in the evenings.

If my kid had any major medical issues, I would contact the cruise lines before booking. I doubt they would have an issue.

I don't think that Disney has in room babysitting? They do have kids club and nursery for the younger ones. I will say that even cruise lines that supposedly offer in-room babysitting don't always have it available and can cancel this offering at any time (I learned this the hard way).

Just want to add: have you considered RCI? Some of their ships offer a splash area for the non potty-trained, and some also have a nursery for those under 3. The children would not be able to be together, and there is an extra cost for nursery. I think that Freedom, Liberty, Oasis and Allure all have the splash area as well as nursery. They all also have the Dreamworks experience, which my daughter loved (although some kids can be frightened of characters...).

Disney does not offer in room sitting. They have a nursery which isn't a drop off type program. NCL does take 2 year olds but they are changing their program so they will be in a group that willl be 18 months to 3. They haven't decided if there will be a cost. RCI offers a nursery type program that is 18 months - 3 and it charges a fee. Like Disney you have to reserve hours for the nursery.

We are doing Carnival with our 2 year old this Jan. You should call the special needs Dept about your nephews condition. Our son has epilepsy so we called to verify they could accommodate him. We also have 2 older kids 6 and 10. I am a little worried about the pools and the youngest wanting to go. We are going to have swim time at the hotel the morning we embark. We are also doing a Western itinerary do only have 2 sea days and we will be in the water at every port. We will have pool time at the hotel before we leave. I don't think he will miss that much not being able to use the pool on the ship. There will be plenty to do!

Archived