Buying Snorkel Gear.....

wasiii

.....searched around for my answer but did not find it. Carnival sells "throw away" snorkel gear (mask and snorkel) on their ships. I think the price of it was between $5-$10. Does NCL do this or something like it on their ships too?

wasiii

I have not seen such items for sale on NCL ships and have not read posts here that indicate that this happens.

Your experience with throw-away gear will not be a happy one, no matter where you get it. If you can't try on a mask before you buy it, you are likely to get one that leaks big time.

You would be better off renting gear when you need it in my opinion.

However, if you want some less expensive gear, get to Wal Mart soon before the summer stuff is gone. You won't find that gear in big box stores in February.

.....searched around for my answer but did not find it. Carnival sells "throw away" snorkel gear (mask and snorkel) on their ships. I think the price of it was between $5-$10. Does NCL do this or something like it on their ships too?

wasiii

I only saw this once on the Golden Princess six years ago. Nothing on NCL like that - Better to bring your own.

@wasiii

From your sig, it appears that you would probably benefit from purchasing your own snorkel gear. It is going to be a larger one time payment, but a good local dive shop usually runs specials frequently (especially if you go off season), and you'll end up saving in the long run, as well as having a better time while snorkeling. I have my own mask and snorkel, and it REALLY makes a difference.

I also recommend buying your own snorkel gear from a dive shop. The staff will help fit you with a mask that conforms to your face. The fit is extremely important. If the mask doesn't fit you right, it will leak, and you won't have a very pleasant experience. We bought our masks and snorkels some 20 years ago when taking scuba classes, and have been very satisfied with the fit--and believe me, there are few things worse than a flooded mask when you are diving!

I would also add that you don't need to buy fins. They're bulky to take with you, and fit is pretty generic. You can usually rent them cheap...or go without. However, mask fit is very important. Masks and snorkels pack pretty small in suit cases

Archived