Excursion confusion!

SpringHollow

My husband & I are cruising 5/15/05 on the Star.Still can't understand whether to book excursions on the ship or wait until getting off in each port.Of interest is Mendenhall Glacier & whale watching in Juneau.What's the best way to experience these two?Would like to do the White Pass Rail trip in Skagway?Any opinions to share about the options there?Is the Jewel Gardens & all worth the time & expense?What would be the suggestions for Ketchikan?We aren't shoppers but do like scenery & wildlife .We were looking at Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary or Back Country Jet Boat or Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer.

We will leave our rural Il.home to fly to Vancouver on Sun.The bags are packed but I still add & subtract on an hourly basis.We are more used to traveling in our motorhome or flying to a destination.Planning for weather irregularities has been a challenge for me.

Thanks to anyone who still has a minute to respond to this message.

I personally, would book ahead of time with Capt. Larry in Juneau for the whale watching. Thru him, u can also do Mendalhall Glacier. I would also book the White Pass Rail trip in Skagway ahead of time with the cruiseline. It costs a little more, but they will pick u up at the ship. The ships have their own cars reserved on the railroad.Sit on the left side of the car, going forward on the railroad. No matter what, you will have a wonderful time. I am going 6/24/05 to alaska and can't wait. Lois

about your excursions on this board (I haven't done any of them except Mendenhall):

Captain Larry is supposed to be good, but very popular, so you may not get this one so late. Anybody can do Mendhall from the dock by taking a bus up there for $5-10. If you like hiking, Juneau has lots of trails for free.

It would be better to book the train through the cruise line. They will have more seats available and you get on right by the ship that way.

As far as Ketchikan, I asked about the jet boat tour, the the response was that it wasn't so great. I decided to pass on that one. The kayaking has had had very good response (Southeast Sea and a couple others) so you might consider that.

This is all second hand information, but it might help at this late stage for you. Also, if you have time, look for threads responded to by Budget Queen. She is a walking encyclopedia of helpful info on Alaska!

I agree with Texasbob. Look these boards over and in particular, note what Budget Queen's commetns were. She is currently on her 19th Alaskan cruise. :cool:

Our group has booked ahead. Granted this is our first Alaska cruise upcoming, but did a lot of reading on these boards, and this is what we’ve come up with:

In Ketchikan, I’m doing the Misty Fjords flightseeing tour, while another couple in our group is doing the Neets Bay Bear Watch. In Juneau, we are all doing the Capt. Larry whale watch, and I’m tacking on a Coastal helicopter trip to the glacier. Finally, in Skagway, we’re all doing the Eagle Preserve Scenic Float Adventure.

Note that some of these are Princess sponsored, and others are independents.

It really depends on you, your interests, your budget, and so forth.

Capt. Larry's company is is Orca Enterprises. His phone number and web site, as well as numbers and URLs for other companies are scattered throughtout these boards. Just read and discover. :)

Best of luck, and enjoy your cruise.

Actually, I'll be on the NCL Star too.

You need to book the whale watching now. There are 2 tours you can choose from- 3pm and 5:30pm with Orca Enterprises, I'll be on both. Contact them TODAY and see if a drop off/pick up at Mendenhall is available??

Skagway- book the ship White Pass RR, most convenient at this point.

Ketchikan- the wildlife won't have much if any this early. Misty Fjords float planes are a top choice, Book this NOW since space is very limited. Consider Island Wings, Southeast Aviation etc.

It's a mistake to wait until in port to book tours, just won't have much if any availability and a waste of valuable time. Have your plans and reservations in place before you go.

Archived